Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

runlegosleeprepeat posted:

So is this just an OCD Lego nerd thread? I'm way into Legos, I use them for my job, I teach kids how to use them properly, but I'm not excited about the decoration pieces the way you guys are. I'm much more interested in how Legos can be used to express engineering ideas and actually DO things.

I'd be happy to share some of my creations, but I'm afraid it'll get lost among all the fancy spaceships and other crap (sorry, that's just one guy's opinion).

I'm sure we'd all love to see examples of your stuff, but leave your condescending tone at the door. "Your stuff doesn't automatically run a car-building assembly line? Heh, what crap"

The last thread was chock full of display pieces like ships and such, as well as plenty of videos of truly amazing things like Autofabrik above, or The Lego "Useless Machine", the stunning piece of art Pop-Up Kinkaku-Ji, Containment; the auto-functioning space salvage facility (complete with working mineral harvester, cargo train, and garbage dump conveyor), Pirates and the NXTfied Theatre, or the working Lego 40k Dreadnought(with some extra computer stuff).

In fact, Carbohydrates, if you want to stick the links to those videos in the OP as examples of what Legos are capable of, go right ahead. Everyone needs to see them anyways, as they're all pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love it. Ancient and gloomy, ancient and gloomy, ancient and gloomy, LASERS

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Carbohydrates posted:

He was a great builder, but the modded and clone parts do kinda bother me.

When I'm designing a MOC, I start with the most important or difficult part and work around it, piecing it all together. I love the challenge of finding a way for the parts to go together and work the way I envision them. Modifying parts feels like cheating or giving up on trying to make it work within the constraints of the LEGO system and it wouldn't be satisfying for me. It also conflicts with another thing I love about LEGO, which is that any part can be anything. Revolvers can be handlebars, pillars can be gun barrels, minifig limbs can be furniture. Cutting or painting a part to fit your MOC removes that freedom and makes it just another overly specialized piece modified just for the purpose of one MOC.

From looking at some of the MOCs clicking around his Flickr, very few if any seem to be modified(I know there's some that have many, such as some of the Classic Space stuff he made). The blue ship that's the first result on his Flickr, the missiles have shaved-down white horns to fill the tips of the missiles so that only a single stud, the one on the tip of the jet, is shown on the entire model. There is no Lego piece, not one, that could take that place on the missiles without breaking the coloring, as the only other thing I can think of that would fit the bill would be chrome spears from Aquanauts and those would stand out like a sore thumb. His stuff is fantastic art and he was one of the most consistently talented creators the community had, getting anal about his parts modification ignores all the things he did without modified parts. It's abundantly clear that if there were a way to do it without sacrificing the uniformity of color or design for a creation, he was more than capable of and definitely would have thought of it. He wanted to go the extra mile to do truly amazing things with what he built, and looking at the results, it's extremely difficult for me to fault him for it.

Speaking of Nnenn. A goon in the previous thread, "Peepot", compiled and renamed all the images from his Flickr account, a huge amount of work that many are thankful for. Some really staggering stuff in here.

Peepot posted:

Here is nnenn's flickr gallery. 1188 images, 88MB.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DR938THY

I spent hours and renamed over 800 of the untitled ones, so if anyone else on the net did this before me, please don't mention it. It might make me cry.

On the plus side, I got to look at every single image in detail, and all of it is brilliant.

Edit: also, Carbohydrates, if you could add that quote above to the OP as well as sticking the Autofabrik link back into the quote of videos(just relink it in there with "Autofabrik automatic Lego car building factory" for the link description or something) that'd be awesome. I don't mean to impose on your OP, honest, I just feel Nnenn's stuff, regardless of your stance on modified parts, are really things worth seeing! :v:

If you want preview thumbnails for examples of the stuff in the collection file, these should work as an example of the quality therein:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 17, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mascot posted:

These drawers are good and bad. Good because they're decent sized, there's lots of them, and the whole thing is cheap at like 15 bucks. Bad because the drawers have tabs to keep them from falling out, and if you overfill a drawer, good luck getting that fucker open again as poo poo will jam behind the tab.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Muppetjedi posted:

According to Eurobricks wave 2 of the minifigures are turning up in stores

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44459

What the gently caress, when are they supposed to be getting released? I want to order some but won't have the money until some of my stuff sells in a few weeks. :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone got me watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it rekindled memories of seeing Avatar Lego sets. Am I correct in that there were only two sets released? The Air Temple and Fire Nation Ship?

Of course as with all licensed stuff aside from most Star Wars sets, since they've been out of production for more than two months they're now worth 20 times retail price. Man I wish I had had the money when I saw stacks of Fire Nation Ships for 30 each at Wal-Mart.

Uncle's been standing in for Prince Zuko, apparently. And this costs 35 loving dollars on Bricklink.

I am tempted to drop 11 bucks on a Smug Sokka minifig, though. Can't decide if I like him or Uncle better, wish there were an Uncle minifig with giant beard and topknot.

:smug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

children overboard posted:

OPEN YOUR MINDS PEOPLE!

Sorry man, but you were beaten to the punch within about an hour of the first preview shots of the original New Space Police line being released. Pretty sure someone on here even made a comic about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What in the hell is this, I stopped paying attention to Bionicle years ago and this happens, accidentally stumbled upon them while digging for parts in Bricklink :psyduck:

All of the Toa look equally poo poo, they went from very simple, neat looking robot dudes to...that. Gross.

edit: this is actually rather sad. It's no wonder Bionicle got canned.

From this:

to this:

What a loving mess Lewa's become.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 4, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Taeke posted:

I never cared for Bionicle. To me, it simply isn't LEGO, it's toys with detachable bodyparts.

Don't start that again. Regardless of your opinion, Bionicle was incredibly helpful and influential for Lego in the first few years and really helped them survive the near-collapse they had at the turn of the millennium. The kits were mostly existing bricks with a few key new pieces such as masks, heads, limbs, and the MOC-revolutionizing ball joints and sockets. They were specifically marketed as "buildable action figures", too, so your toys with detachable body parts thing was sorta what they were going for all along.

But those Toa...after the Rahkshi or maybe Metru Nui, things really went downhill I guess. Although I'll definitely be ordering a few 50% off Scopios and Cendoxs for parts, especially tank treads. And a King's Sword too, because if there's one thing I've learned from my Onua Nuva Lego foam chainsaw, it's that they make EXCELLENT bugswatters. You don't even have to hit a hornet in midair when you swing one of those things, the sheer force from it will kill it right out of the air.

edit: 2 Skopios, 5 Cendox, 2 King's Swords. Some bought for gifts for kids. :c00l:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 4, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you mean the torso you used for "Bahamut", that's from a Ben 10 figure. Galidor 2.0

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BrainWeasel posted:

Six of one. They're both anime-styled pose-able action figures.

Wait what? Are robots automatically of Japanese origin now? :psyduck:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pyroclastic posted:

You know, if you guys want tracks and don't want to deal with Bricklink, there's a much better way to get them than buying discounted Bioncle/City/Technic sets:

60 black tracks, 60 dark gray tracks, $15

36 small tracks/conveyor belt links, $10

100 dark gray tracks, 10 black sprockets, $12

Only the cheapest bricklink stores approach those prices.

While handy(and I'll definitely be ordering some of those packs), there's some other stuff in the sets I want, and if nothing else, it'd be pretty hard to not get what I paid for them later on. Plus, as said, some are gifts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have to reiterate what I said in this prior post because in hindsight it's not entirely clear:

Captain Invictus posted:

What in the hell is this, I stopped paying attention to Bionicle years ago and this happens, accidentally stumbled upon them while digging for parts in Bricklink :psyduck:

All of the Toa look equally poo poo, they went from very simple, neat looking robot dudes to...that. Gross.

From this:

to this:

What a loving mess Lewa's become.

The problem I have isn't that they're crazy overgreebly machines. The issue is that those two green guys are the same character. And the red guy? That's Tahu. This is what he used to look like:

Never have I thought the age-old design mantra "Keep It Simple, Stupid" was more appropriate.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slo-Tek posted:

That is pretty grim. I suppose I ought to pick him up something nice so as to not make it a total bust for birthday-lego.

We enjoyed the hell out of the Lego Stegosaurus last year as a father-son project. Is there anything else that is that cool? If possible I'd like to avoid licensed properties and movie tie-ins. Something big and awesome and not so fiddly that I can't let him do most of the construction would be best. Budget 70$ or so (more if it is as awesome as the stegosaurus)

You should explain to her that they're chinese knockoffs that have terrible quality control, and she should return it and buy a proper Lego set. Even if aircraft carriers are cool, if it's a really lovely toy, the kid will be disappointed!

like I remember when I was a little kid, around 7 or 8, and my grandma bought me a barrel of megabloks and a megablok missile tank thing. I was sad because they wouldn't fit together with my Legos very well if at all.

Also, said barrel of megabloks was in my attic, and I recently found it and it had literally disintegrated. Like, it simply crumbled to dust as if it had been sitting in there for eons. The barrel, not the bricks. The bricks were all warped and yellow, totally useless. This is why you buy Lego, who have actual quality control!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Robot Hobo posted:

When I was a kid, I had a big bag of Loc Blocs.
My parents wouldn't let me get any Legos, because they wouldn't be compatible with what I already had.

How I hated you, Loc Blocs.

Don't blame the lovely Lego ripoffs. Blame your lovely parents.

Actually, you can blame the lovely Lego ripoffs too I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
By far, the best one of that lot is the Emoticon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

InfinEight posted:

I've had a lot of payment offers if I would make instructions for my rex, but I kinda feel the same. I'd rather share instructions freely when possible.

I really, really, really want to go to one of these gatherings sometime just to wander around and appreciate it all. At the same time, it would be hard to not imagine just grabbing random MOCs and playing with them.

You should take your Ragnarok or whatever it is, the big white ship in your avatar(or any of the evolutions) and your Rex to a Lego con. People would eat that poo poo up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Is that a hollow single stud? AT LAST!?

All I can see in my head is a bunch of those stacked on top of each other on one of those old thick antennae about 10 studs tall that used to be on all the Space sets. If you put anything down on them, like, say, those 1x1 cone-pieces, they would never, ever, ever separate. :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baggy_Brad posted:

A zombie version of every fig from series 1

And the zombie would be a normal guy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SynthOrange posted:

Someone did

On the following page of that thread, holy gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

afflictionwisp posted:

Oh, hey, I don't think I ever posted the completed Appa in this thread.

Wait, you're the one who built that Appa? Nice work, dude. One of the few Avatar MOCs, and one of the few of those that doesn't suck

It's a drat shame Spongebob won the war between the two, we could've had Azula, Zhao, Iroh, Ozai, and loving TOPH minifigures. God drat it Nick/Lego.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, those Carl Jr. ads are amazing. I like the semi-destroyed Grand Emporium in the dinosaur one.

"I got shotgun!"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slashie posted:

Any recommendations for an eight-year-old's first Really Big Set? It seems like building sets come with more guys, but vehicle sets offer more opportunities for pew-pew action. He doesn't seem to be into any of the licensed lines, but that's not a dealbreaker. Except for the Spongebob sets, those are freaky-looking.

I will never stop recommending getting kids, or anyone really, the classic Space sets(specifically the late 80's early 90's sets). The Mega Core Magnetizer, the Galactic Mediator/Solar Snooper(they go together pretty much), or the Aerial Intruder. The MCM, Galactic Mediator and Solar Snooper are just so huge and awesome, and they're still very affordable too! 90 dollars for a complete used MCM with instructions isn't bad at all considering what some other rare sets go for these days. The Galactic Mediator and Solar Snooper together can be had for under a hundred bucks, and the Aerial Intruder is a mere 30-40. They all come with at least 3 minifigures(edit: except the Aeriel Intruder, that comes with 2), and every single one has at least one small ship that detaches from the main body, too! I realize it's weird suggesting two-decade-old sets, but really, they're classics and pretty much any 8-year-old boy should love the hell out of them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 1, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slashie posted:

Oh shut up Space Police were my favorite! I had like the entire line, and Ice Planet. (They were eternally at war, a tragedy that befalls many Legoman civilizations.) I had no idea you could still find these.

The kid loves sea creatures, so I'm going to go with pirates for now, but I may have to see if my parents can dig up my old sets next time I'm home. You know, for the kid. *Cough*

If he loves sea creatures, there have been plenty of Lego sets for animals, including many sea creatures.

But keep those sets I suggested in mind, as I remember building the Galactic Mediator and Solar Snooper with my dad as a kid on Christmas morning on the porch, with the sun barely peeking over the snow-covered trees because me and my sister couldn't wait any longer to open our presents at 4 AM, while drinking hot cocoa with marshmallows. They are great sets to build with your kid, and they've got some awesome, awesome gimmicks. Like the Galactic Mediator splits into three sections, and the Solar Snooper has that transforming flying ship.

I've gathered up a bunch of links to various animal-based sets for you. This would be a good time to get the Snap Links addon for Firefox.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7608-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=20015-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=5868-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4994-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7606-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4894-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4892-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7805-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4998-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7871-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4507-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4101-1

And here's a really neat submarine set I found that I never knew existed,

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4888-1

As well as a set I always wanted but never got, Titan XP, which incorporates tons of tropes of My-Own-Creation Mecha into an official set. It is quite a beast:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4508-1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 1, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Man, Crow T. Robot has really been working out in the last decade.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slashie posted:

That's incredible, thank you so much. Those dinosaur sets in particular are amazing. Is the submarine big enough for Lego dudes to go inside? I can't really tell from the pictures.

It looks like it, yeah. If not, it's definitely extremely close, I'm sure you could lend him a hand to make it big enough.

Also heh, searching for Lego MST3K yields some amusing results, as well as a damned good Megas XLR. That's by far the most creative use I've seen for those horrible loving yellow arches from the Aquanauts base set, on the first Crow's head.

And the ridiculously good small-scale Megas XLR:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Get the other one sell the minifigs keep the ship.

I solved your problem

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Glass Joe posted:

How big are they? the nearest store is about 3 hours away, and if I'm in the area I want it to be worth my time.
Lego stores can be quite large, with the walls literally covered from floor to ceiling in Lego sets, with awesome little scenes all along the walls in little Lego stud-shaped enclosures, neat sales and deals, and if you're lucky, they'll have the Grab Bags for 6-10 dollars that have a wide variety of wonderful bits inside, sometimes incredibly rare ones. Back when those Spybotic vehicles came out and had many parts that you could only get in that color from that set(trans-dark yellow or trans-purple in particular), they had a few bags full of stuff like that, I bought a couple and was really lucky to get a turntable as well as a bunch of trans-purple bits.

The staff is almost always really nice.

Lego Stores rule.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The witch, and maybe the vampire I can understand, but...the mummy? Really?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SubbyMinx posted:

Yup, The Entertainer is kinda strange like that. As Dame Cook said, the owner is uber-Christian. They don't have any Harry Potter toys, or anything remotely witch-crafty or vampire like. They also don't open on Sundays, being the Lord's Day, and all that jazz.
So do they just throw the bad ones out? Return them? What?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

InfinEight posted:

What a thing I have made!

What is it? I dunno! But I'm forcing myself to go to bed.

yo the name is batty, the logic is erratic, potato in a jacket, toys in the attic, I rock and I ramble, my brain is scrambled, talk like an animal, but I'm a mammal

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flavor Bear posted:

Oh. My. DICK

Now you have something to live for!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flavor Bear posted:

Except I'll never be able to buy it without a job!

Then follow the suggestions some people including myself have made to get one, and then you can buy this Atlantis set, and then you Will Be Happy Soul!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

Series 3 Minifigs GO!

I want Space Pirate/Cyborg and Legolas. Also that samurai.

poo poo I need an army of gorillamen with bananas

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gibbons Orlando posted:

Does anyone have any good ALIEN designs? I'd love to see a Technic Giger creature.

Well for starters, some classics

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welp, no round 2 in my area, looks like I'll have to order from online and eat a 7 dollar shipping charge. :smith:

At least I have 10 bucks worth of VIP points from when I bought a bunch of clearance stuff. :unsmith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Honestly, Bricklink prices arn't horrible. The thing I noticed was people trying to sell the Spartan as just a fig for $5-6, but you can get it with all the accessories for $2.50-3 :iiam:

I noticed that, it's baffling. And everything else looks to be almost exactly retail price, maybe with 50 cents added tops aside from the Spartan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

InfinEight posted:

Chugging along, going to bed now. Stupid dome was hard to make a cockpit out of.

Reminds me of the Outlaw Star. It has arms that pop out, which the front bits look kinda like. But mostly I posted this just so I could post the third image down,

BAT GRAPPLER :black101:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well you like never make things that aren't spaceships, robots, or robot spaceships, so it wasn't a far stretch to think you were making a Grappler Ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Crane posted:

That's actually really neat, what are their helmets? Stormtrooper helmets?

Looks to be yeah, painted red and black. I see lots of custom decals too, can't tell if the Assault Cannon on the Landspeeder is Lego or not though, seems too small and intricate to be Lego.

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Lord I must have those 40k marines. I have wanted to make a Dreadnought for some time now too.

People have been making'em for a while now.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 27, 2010