Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They are really getting mileage out of that loving airplane nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You may have a point about the more recent sets, but the older ones were perfectly fine and ALL of the Rahi Beasts had engineering gimmicks to them that gave them special attacks and stuff, like the extending necks for the Bahrag Twins, hell the Manas, two radio-controlled crabs, had tread systems and stuff in'em to drive around with. They weren't super complex, but they weren't meant to be. It's like hating Duplo for being for toddlers, Bionicle was made to push into the action figure market while still retaining Lego roots. This is a good reason why Galidor was a catastrophic failure, because it wasn't really Lego at all.

Basically, if you're hating on older Bionicle, it's not really justified because it's exactly what they set out for it to be: buildable action figures.

The newer ones almost completely eliminate the "build" part of it. If you're hating on newer Bionicle, it's justified because it's a total mess.

That being said, if you're planning on throwing out those Bionicle things, I'll take'em. Lots of pieces of specific colors can only be found in Bionicle sets.

Also, this set is totally awesome. I mean seriously, it's a giant transforming ridable robot scorpion with tank treads for legs that transforms into a tank/snowmobile thing. It's awesome. I bought two of them on sale on Lego S@H for parts. Not ALL the new sets are awful, I guess.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 30, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BrainWeasel posted:

Is it just me or do the Bionicle ball sockets break really easily? I have a hard time assembling or disassembling them without a tab popping off, so I almost never use the pieces I have.

How exactly are you trying to pop them out? Propping them against one of the sides while lifting works for me, never had a piece break.

Hobnob posted:

That said, I've heard Bionicle was a really good seller for Lego, so I can hardly complain if it kept the company solvent and producing the stuff I do like.
Bionicle saved Lego. They were in extremely bad shape at the turn of the millenium, I believe there was the potential of being bought out by Tyco or Mega Bloks. Bionicle EXPLODED onto the scene, back in those days the mask packs(two to three masks of random colors for like 2.99 or 3.99) would sell instantly upon hitting shelves. The canisters would constantly be sold out, about the only non-sellers were the brown and black Toa, and the Bahrag Twins. Bionicle was hugely influential for Lego, most kids these days know of it.

I will praise it if for nothing else that it gave us the ball and sockets in great quantities. Those make many joints and such for Lego mechs much easier to build, and much stronger than most other types of joints.

edit: not everything made using Bionicle is awful. If you get creative, they can be useful. They are Lego pieces, after all. Though admittedly the head on this one is half-assed.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 30, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some of the older Bionicle masks can be useful for MOCs. PM me with pics of what you have, I might be interested in a few.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Indolent Bastard posted:

Colour me impressed. I guess I'm just jaded because everything this kid comes up with is just the same random, bashed-together stuff every kid does; except that his parents gush about it like he's going to be some kind of genius engineer because of it.

That's because a LOT of more recent Bionicle figures look a hell of a lot more involved than they actually are. Tons of details that mean absolutely nothing, horrible greebliness. When you pile a bunch of poo poo like that together, it LOOKS like it could be kinda complicated, but it totally isn't.

I will freely admit ball sockets take out some of the engineering aspects of the hobby. But sometimes you want to build something that can just stand up without jumping through hoops. The rubberized ball sockets are heavenly for this, I built an Evangelion Unit 02 figure about seven years ago that's over a foot tall and has only two rubberized ball sockets for hip joints, that support the entire thing's weight(about 5 pounds).

Man, seeing that picture makes me want to build an updated version, with more of an even Technic-Bionicle-Brick ratio.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He's Indolent Bastard, it's what he does.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ted Stevens posted:

Jessica Rabbit bot?

Probably just a Playboy Bunny -bot.

Shameless. Her gear's exposed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm getting my end-of-year bonus soon and I'm tempted to invest like $1k in ebayable lego sets. Is this a bad idea?

Well, let's review. A friend told me of a sale at a lovely little trinket chain called Tuesday Morning that was for a variety of Lego sets, many advertised large ones. I went there and battled many old ladies and many, many, many more old Korean ladies for what I could grab and afford, resulting in a haul for about 250 dollars or so consisting of two Batcaves, two of those electric helicopter sets, a creator dinosaur set, and a few other large sets, I had a picture but lost it. The Batcaves were 30 dollars each and there were stacks of them, but I did not buy them all sadly as I was low on funds.

This is what Batcaves regularly sell for on Ebay. Bricklink is similar or worse.
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=lego+7783+sealed&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_odkw=lego+batcave&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

So basically, for 60 dollars and taking up closet space, a year later I turned them around for almost a grand, bought the entirety of One Piece and still had over half a grand left over.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Capitalism, ho! :clint:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guzwar posted:

Are those Warhammer Ork flags being used as sails?

For a short time there actually was an orc Lego line, complete with big club-wielding trolls and suspiciously similar symbols.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

What the hell is that even made of!?

THOUSANDS of those little control stick pieces. Seriously.

The Dregs posted:

I just went to the Lego outlet here in ATL, GA for my son's first Lego's. I got him a big cup (which I packed), a little green carrying case, 3 mini fags packed to the gills with everything I could put on them for 10 bucks, and a couple little 1.99 holiday packages.

It's pretty expensive.

What's the best way to get a lot of 'general' bricks? Also, the cooler stuff you can make things boys like out of like struts, weapons, cables, landing gear, etc? The pack your own cup thing sucked rear end. There were only about 20-30 different bricks to choose from. I went to that auction site, but the amount of sets you have to go through is loving huge, and I really don't know the names of anything to search for. I just want a cheap grab bag of bricks.

It is awesome as a dad to see that he has already built a tank with a spinning missile launcher and a Willy Wonka style candy store, though.

what the hell is a "mini fag"? :raise:

The pick-a-bricks aren't really good for mass random bricks. For that, you'll want to hit up Ebay or hunt for yard sales. Or Goodwill's site. Shipping's gonna be expensive.

If you want some suggestions for specific sets, hit the little "?" under my avatar and peruse some of the posts where I give advice for sets to buy, one post links to plenty of animal sets if he like those types, and another links to a bunch of really, really awesome Classic Space sets that any young boy should love forever. Especially the Space Police sets, they're cheap(you can get both for under a hundred, and they're HUGE), and they can be built by son and dad together, which I remember doing with mine on Christmas morning.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here are the links to my two posts with links to various items that may be just the thing for your son depending on his preference of animals or sci-fi.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&userid=58047#post381557721
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&userid=58047#post381560636

I've done a bit of search. It seems that Ebay has slim pickings for the Galactic Mediator and Solar Snooper. This is what I found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lego-6984-Galactic-Mediator-Space-Police-100-/250704722987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5f2a7c2b
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lego-Space-Police-Galactic-Mediator-/220676905982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33615e5bfe

No Solar Snoopers, really. None that aren't far more expensive than Bricklink, anyways. You should probably grab one of those Galactic Mediators from Ebay, and get the Solar Snooper off Bricklink.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=5445

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 3, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
At least a thousand if they go all the way around each leg.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I ordered sixteen minifigs from Lego, and the first nine had three Skiers, two Baywatch chicks, a Pop Singer, and three Pharaohs. :smith:

Followed by a Surfer, Spartan, Mime, Kung Fu Dude, Witch, Vampire, and the one I REALLY wanted, the Mexican.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He is just so happy. And his hat is so huge.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Mexican comes with three Maracas :iiam:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

djfooboo posted:

As far as I know the fact you get extras is because QA weighing machines aren't perfectly accurate at such small tolerances so just throwing in extras is easier. Plus who minds getting extra poo poo?

Not me. The singer is currently holding a maraca in one hand and a mic in the other, while Dracula holds here spare mic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You gotta be a pretty pathetic Dracula to drink blood from a bottle.

Only the freshest virgin maiden neck pegs for my Draculas.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AA is for Quitters posted:

So I was reading this thread, and then wound up babysitting my nephew and we spent the whole morning building lego spaceships out of his collection.

...now I really want to buy myself a whole bunch. It's so much drat fun.

it's also so drat expensive. Holy gently caress, a little 1000 piece set is like $40. Now I know why I always got mega blocks when I wanted lego sets growing up.

Where are you finding these 1000-piece sets for 40 dollars. Tell me, tell me NOW!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That Awful Nick posted:

Unfortunately, given the popular culture of today, the likely winner is Avatar, which means I'll have to hang my head in shame every time I go into the Lego aisle in the future.

Please. As awesome as Lego Ghostbusters would be, unless they come out with a new, good movie or something, it wouldn't be a massive success. Avatar is successful, popular, and has some really bitchin' creature and vehicle designs. Image assault incoming!

:lol:

Sair posted:

I think they mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender
Avatar the Last Airbender had two Lego sets released alongside Spongebob Squarepants sets, to test and see which would sell better. Guess who won. Here's a hint!

Also I find it absolutely adorable when people try to disable downloading of their flickr account images.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is absolutely amazing, but for the love of god, MUTE THE gently caress OUT OF THE VIDEO BEFORE STARTING IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN-s550lacA

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait, a newspaper comic actually making a reference to something and knowing what the hell they're talking about and actually making it fairly entertaining at the same time?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsI6wUEakP0
edit: jerks disabling embedding on the other one...

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 17, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That Awful Nick posted:

Also it could just be that he's not a hack like the retards who make Mythbusters are.

Oh boy, what is this all about?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Goofy as gently caress.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I cannot believe someone managed to pull off a model of Brook, the musical afro skeleton from One Piece. Aside from the fairly withered afro, but he probably couldn't stand up with an afro made of Legos with those spindly legs.

For reference:

Those feet are divine

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sockser posted:

Used non-Lego pieces; disqualified

quote:

@Benjamin Sardine: Non-LEGO parts? On my creation? Where? If you're referring to the cloth elements, which is what I assume you're referring to, they are 100% official. Search Bricklink, they're there...

That loving hat, jesus christ

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually I was saying I was blown away by it. Because it's amazing. The whole thing is, but that hat is really outstanding and ties the whole thing together.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saint Sputnik posted:

What I want to know is - what is it? Is it from some Japanese cartoon or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanuki

Most likely just a completely original thing. I don't recall ever hearing about a giant Tanuki robot, except for this guy(the description for the toy is priceless).

afflictionwisp posted:

What are the long wedge pieces? I can't figure them out. And what in blazes are the 'ears' connected to?

I believe I've seen those wedge pieces in Mars Mission sets, on the alien fighters. Maybe try checking Bricklink's inventories on sets with Martian craft in them to find the part, then what sets had gray versions of them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 28, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sockser posted:

The fuzzy brown shoulder thingies are totally non-Lego

...aren't they :ohdear:
So did you skip over the eight posts between yours there or what?

Dame Cook posted:

In other news, the founder of Bricklink has died at the age of 33.

http://www.bricklink.com/danjezek/

gently caress you 2010 you lovely loving year, first taking Nnenn and now the Bricklink dude.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

InfinEight posted:

I like to at least give tips or exploded views when it's practical, but honestly I prefer to not make instructions myself. I did make instructions for my version of a Gekko, and while it's cool that others have made their own based on my idea, I kinda feel that it stifles creativity. I've always felt that there is more than one way to execute an idea, and I hate for people to think my way is the 'official way', when their ideas could easily be better than mine. I think the same logic applies to LDD files even moreso, since copy+paste takes even less thought.
Man I saw "Gekko" and I thought you'd made an awesome InfinEight-ized version of the Gekko-Go :(

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But Infineight is the Lego spaceship dude, not the Lego hollywood actor dude. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat, that is the most Legolas elf that ever was.

Also, gimme all your gorilla suit guys.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AxeManiac posted:

Anyone get the lego advent calander from the lego flyer they mail out? Is it like a lego a day and you build something or can you actually make stuff each day?

If you mean like, the City or Castle Advent Calendars then it's a different model every day. Christmas Tree, Fireplace, Santa in the Shower...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

zenintrude posted:

It should get auto-canceled and we'll receive an email alerting us of the fact and that our CC was not charged. It's fairly painless...
My card was already charged and I cannot cancel the order. So yeah, I'm down a fair amount of money until they refund it, thanks Amazon!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So uh, anyone else who tried to buy some of those Batman sets get a refund yet? Is it really going to take 5-10 days to get my money back? Holy loving poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Well Manicured Man posted:

(she was raised on Playmobil)

Why do people even make this comparison? How is Playmobil any similar to Legos, aside from the vaguest design similarities between the figures? They aren't(or at least weren't when I was a kid) building toys. You might as well compare GIJoes and Legos.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Wow. What did use for lighting?

A pair of the Bionicle glowy sword things, no doubt.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PopeOnARope posted:

Pardon my ignorance but, VV?

Vic Viper. Nnenn, the brilliant Lego artist who was killed in a car accident earlier this year, had a particular addiction for building Vic Vipers. It spawned a tradition.

Click here for the full 1280x856 image.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

3 posted:

Reminds me of a Legend of the Galactic Heroes Alliance ship. Very nice.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Inspector_71 posted:

First thing I thought of was Homeworld.

I could have sworn I read that the guys who did Homeworld were influenced by LOGH, though. Maybe that was something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Inspector_71 posted:

I'm unfamiliar with LOGh at all so it's totally possible. The Biggest ship in that group looks identical to a Homeworld Cruiser, and the next one down an Assault Frigate.

Regardless of the inspiration, they're amazing.

No doubt! But that comes with the territory honestly, had Nnenn ever built a not amazing creation?

And you should probably get yourself acquainted with LOGH, so good it's got one of the longest-living threads on the forums! Some of the best sci-fi and political drama ever made.