Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Catsworth posted:

Does anyone remember or have a list or something that shows when the new Slave 1 is coming out? I want to say it was July or August sometime, but it was awhile ago we first heard about it so I can't be sure.
I saw it in a UK Lego store the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
UK Goons: Argos is doing 3 for 2 on all toys (including Lego) until the 28th Sept.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
The Daily Mirror in the UK is doing the "free mini Lego model" with every issue this week (started yesterday actually). You have to go to WH Smith or Toys R Us every day to get the set or save up 8(?) vouchers and send off for all of them at once (costs £8.99 postage though).

I wasn't able to get any models last time they did this cos I couldn't get to either of the stores to pick them up, but should be able at least a few of them this week.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Testro posted:

I was debating doing the Daily Mirror thing, until I realised that I wouldn't be able to get the models from WH Smith (they always run out before midday in my town, and I'm fairly confident my boss wouldn't be sympathetic to me running out for 15 minutes every morning to collect Lego models) - and I'd have to pay the £9 postage. Add that to the cost of buying the papers (around £6), I thought I'd be best putting the £15 towards a larger set that I really wanted.
Went to Toys R Us yesterday after work - got there about 6 and they said they'd sold out at about 5. Didn't bother trying today as it was raining and I was cycling instead of driving. I think it's too late to try for 8 tokens now which sucks. You're probably right about putting the £15 towards something else anyway.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Sainsburys (big supermarket chain in the UK) have been doing half price on all their toys in store recently, and I managed to grab some decent Lego bargains. The store near me only has a small toy section, but I knew they usually had some Lego in stock and I ended up getting:
Shave A Sheep and UFO Attack games for £4 each
Two Police helicopters (7741) for £5 each
An Offroad Fire Rescue truck (7942) for £5
and a small City Fire car (7241) for £2.50
That was basically one of everything they had (well, two helicopters), bar the Police motorbike and a Star Wars IG Assassin droid battle pack (which both seemed a bit dull). Will be great for some Christmas (and upcoming birthday) presents for young relatives.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Mike the TV posted:

When I was a kid my parents got me the Load N' Haul Railroad. It was amazing.

All these years later, and I want to build it again. The catch is that I've somehow lost most or all of the magnet connectors and trains wheels. Do you guys have any suggestions for where I could find replacements? Just the wheels and connectors would be fine, but I would also not mind spending a little bit on a small set.

Oh man, I always remember coveting that set like crazy. I've always loved the cargo train sets. Always wondered why they were hauling barrels and a tiny tractor out of a volcano though.

3 posted:

Jesus, that's beautiful.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
How to build a compass out of Lego WITHOUT using a magnet:
http://gizmodo.com/5716181/how-to-build-a-compass-out-of-lego++without-using-any-magnets
Kind of a cheat though because you have to know which way is north to start with.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Just in case there's any UK goons here who use Quidco - they have the Lego online shop on there now, with 7% cashback.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Final Gloom posted:

What's that orange piece on the side?

Lifeboat.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

sc0ticus posted:

$400 USD!!!! That's as much as a nice netbook. Wait till it's on sale yo. Even 10% will save you $40.

Yeah, but in 10 years the Death Star won't be worthless...

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Muppetjedi posted:

ATTN UK GOONS Free lgo toys from The Sun/News of the world

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/affiliates/lego/

Sat - 30051 - Star Wars Mini X-Wing

Sun - 30131 - PotC Jack's Boat

Mon - 30130 - PotC Mini Black Pearl

Tues - 30080 - Ninjago Ninja Glider

Wed - 30081 - Ninjago Skeleton Chopper

Thurs - 30083 - Ninjago Dragon Fight

Fri - 30091 - Pharoah's Quest Desert Rover
Every year I see this and think "awesome" and then realise there is no TRU or WHSmiths I can get to daily :argh:

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

The_Doctor posted:

Pssh, that's Red Dwarf.

I was just about to post that it looked like a militarised Red Dwarf.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Anyone seen this?
http://rebrickable.com/pick_set

Apparently you plug in the numbers of some sets you own, and it shows you other sets you can build with the combined pieces, e.g.
http://rebrickable.com/build_set?s=8142-1&s1=8143-1&s2=8156-1&s3=8157-1&s4=8671-1&c=2

Not tried it myself so not sure how well it works, but a cool concept at least.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
With a little one on the way, I've been hunting around for bargain Lego/Duplo. Found a couple of decent lots on Gumtree, just need to see if they're still available.

Also, planning on putting together one of these after we've moved house next month:
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2008/06/weekend-project-1-hack-lego-table.html
And one of these for the grown-ups (with a different graphic, not sure what though):
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/01/ikea-lego-table.html

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Gravy Jones posted:

I can't get to a TRU or WHSmiths ever day but there's usually some way to get all of them if you collect the codes. Has anyone done this before and got them successfully? Those sets would make cool stocking stuffers.

Of course the downside is having to buy the Sun every day.
I think this time there's no "collect vouchers and pay to get the collection via post" option unfortunately. Annoyingly I can get to TRU after work every day but by that point they're always out of the models :(

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Gravy Jones posted:

Well that sucks. It's the same for me. I could get to a TRU after work, but it figures they'd run out, I'd also have to pay to park there. Probably not worth it.

p.s. I have some Duplo I'm planning on selling soon but you do not have PMs :argh:
Oh, nice. Shoot me an email at team.awesome at Googlemail.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
I think City is consistently my favourite theme. I've always coveted the cargo train and the cargo ship/dock sets. The recent planes and helicopters haven't been that great, all using that same one-piece cockpit section (the one the smaller Shuttle set uses), but that Chinook above looks really awesome.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Amoeba102 posted:

I remember the old sets having a set of alternate builds on the back of the box or the instruction booklet. The couple of licensed sets I'v seen don't have these. Is it just the licensed sets or have these been scrapped on newer sets?
The early Star Wars sets definitely had them.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Gravy Jones posted:

I braved Sainsburys at lunchtime (for those who don't know it's a UK supermarket chain that has a blanket half price on all toys for a week or so around this time every year) and predictably the lego had been pretty much picked clean. Not that it has a big selection to begin with.

Got a dinky city jetboat thing for a couple of quid and for some reason they had loads of Ultimate Build Francesco. For some reason my kid and all his friends love the character so I grabbed a couple. It looks like it's got some nice curved pieces and the light green colour is pretty cool.
I managed to go to Sainsburys this morning on the way to work. Not sure how much Lego they had had in stock to begin with, but the shelves where about 80% empty. I basically got at least one of everything that was left (bar some Ninjago sets), and ended up with this haul for just under £47:

Half of them will go as Christmas presents this year, the rest will be stockpiled for a few years until my as-yet-unborn son is old enough not to try and eat the blocks.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Got the Maersk train and Creationary from my fiancée for our anniversary this week. The train is awesome (hundreds of bloody stickers though :argh: ), and Creationary is surprisingly fun - I assumed it would be pretty easy but some of the things you have to build are fairly challenging to build small-scale. We introduced a 90 second time limit which definitely made things more interesting too.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

CADPAT posted:

Hey I was curious on what peoples thoughts were on stickers vs. printed blocks?

I hate the concept of stickers because you have to place them neatly and they peel off and such, but on the plus side plus if you don't apply the stickers then you can use the blocks for other things.

I just generally like printed blocks for some reason. I like having a collection of control panels and other such things.
Ugh, stickers suck. Just built the Maersk train which had tons of stickers which are really fiddly to get straight. I also had the original Republic Gunship which had a ton of stickers that all fell apart and peeled off after a few years which was a huge pain in the arse. I think the Maersk train stickers are better quality but like you say they're hard to get straight and often cover multiple pieces.

Printed blocks on the other hand are awesome. No fiddly placement, don't stick multiple blocks together, and don't peel off.

tactical_grace fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 6, 2011

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Little bit of Lego-related news:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/feb/23/lego-owner-german-wind-farm

"Lego will not use the energy for its production, but chief executive Joergen Vid Knudstorp said the investment is part of the company's ambition "of making a positive impact on the world"."
Oh Lego :allears:

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Ordered the Star Wars Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship (via BrickBadger!) for my little brother's 8th birthday. That thing looks awesome, I'm pretty jealous.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Discovered an indie tabletop wargame called Mechaton: Giant Fighty Robots today - the part I love about it is you build your mech army out of Lego (and aside from that all you need is a whole bunch of dice).
Original ruleset is free here:
http://www.lumpley.com/games/mecha.html
but they are releasing an updated version on Kickstarter ($10 for the PDF):
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/JoshuaACNewman/mobile-frame-zero-rapid-attack

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
UK goons: Argos has a 3-for-2 right now on all toys, including Lego. I think it's in-store only, but you can reserve online and collect in store. They're also doing the "spend £50/£100, get a £5/£10 voucher" offer.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
I ordered 5 Stigs today (before they lowered the limit to 2 I guess). Who still wants one sent to them for cost price + postage? Edit: All taken.

tactical_grace fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 13, 2012

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
OK, Stigs will be going to Ika, Ville Valo, InfinEight, and youareoffthehook (and I'll keep one for myself). I'll email you all when they arrive to find out addresses etc. Ville Valo I don't have PMs so can you email me at team awesome at gmail. Cheers.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

Ika and youareoffthehook please let me know your address by the weekend as I'm planning on posting them all on Saturday. Cheers.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

youareoffthehook posted:

I never got an email from you, will you resend it or post your email address?
Huh, I'll try sending again.
edit: alternatively my address is team awesome at gmail if my email doesn't show up.

tactical_grace fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 24, 2012

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
No worries :)

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

smackfu posted:

Those really kill me since it's a design failure, and if you skip the sticker, it looks bad. And even with the sticker, the color matching is a bit off between sticker white and plastic white.
Not to mention it's a pain in the arse to get them lined up exactly right so it looks neat. I don't mind the logo stickers too much because they add a lot to the model but those stickers were irritating.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

ElMudo posted:

I'm a big fan of the helicopter sets that Lego has put out recently.

The Heavy Lift Helicopter and Transport Chopper were two of my favorite sets in 2012.

I'll definitely be picking up the Red Rotors from the new 2013 sets.

Maybe I just really love heavy lift helicopters.

The new Fire Helicopter is pretty cool too. I hate that nosecone they used for the old one (and a bunch of other aircraft).

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Merchant of Death posted:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1566428@N21/ This flickr has the back of a bunch of the old boxes, why wouldn't you want to keep those.
This was one of my first Space sets I think. I always thought that sloped front piece with all the SNOT studs was a bit crazy. Great model though.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Not sure if I'm missing something and it's actually an either/or deal, but right now on the UK Lego shop site, it seems like if you spend over £25 you get a free mini police helicopter AND a free mini Friends car. I've tried adding something over £25 to my basket and it auto-adds both models, so looks like a decent deal considering it's usually 1 free mini set when you spend over £50.

edit: Ah wait, you get the helicopter for any purchase over £25, and you only get the car as well if you're spending over £25 on Friends stuff - so you can get them both if you e.g. get a £29.99 Friends set.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
That tilt-rotor is loving awesome:

I think that new one-piece cockpit section is a lot better than the previous one they used on a lot of aircraft. The new one is on the cool coastguard chopper too.

Speaking of coastguard sets, the huge new coastguard cutter made me reminisce about the old one, which I remember as being huge, haha.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

stuie posted:

A couple old mocs.

I love this style of space craft, and you've made an awesome model, but I can't un-see Wall-E sitting in the back flying it.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Cool Lego news :) : http://www.shareable.net/blog/lego-bombing-and-the-art-of-infrastructure
Sad Lego news :( :http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57572674-1/lego-spill-tangles-up-west-virginia-highway/

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Finished another MOC, this time a biplane. The body got too thick but otherwise it turned out the way I wanted. I'm especially happy with the detail of the cockpit (which isn't really visible in photos, sadly), the shape of the wings and the lack of studs, something which I hadn't tried before. Mostly it feels great to be building again.

That's awesome, I love the smooth surfaces and detail at such a small scale. Nice work.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Ka0 posted:

Still intact after all these decades

I'm going back to my folks' place tomorrow and attempt to lug over the Aquanaut base and recovery centre. I didn't see any of my Blacktrons, Futurons, Castle and Space Police sets so I assume they were lost or given away.
Wow, looking at those boxes gives me some sort of nostalgia overload, even more so than looking at pictures of the models. It's the memory of being in the toy shop trying to decide which one to get with my pocket money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Ka0 posted:

How did I from the past know that I would seek a clever distraction in this barren future is beyond me. Thanks bro.

Coolest submarine ever. Fact.