Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ElwoodCuse posted:

Neither does this, even with 150 more pieces.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8404-1

I love the original big fuckoff jetliner, which apparently cost only $40 in 2007-8! $40 now gets your this comparatively puny thing.

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=3181&cn=339&d=9

Yeah, I picked up that jetliner for $30 on sale at Fred Meyer. I'm sorry to say that it was the only set in recent memory that I regret purchasing.

Yep, it's big, and yep, it's fuckoff, but what the hell do you do with the thing once it's built? The only thing you can do is basically build variations on the plane in different lengths.

I think in the previous thread, someone had challenged someone to create something other than a plane with the giant set of wings. They basically made a giant building and used the wings as the roof. When I bought it, I figured that the wings would be separate pieces, but nope - one giant, huge set of wings.

I really, really wish that the tram part of that city transportation set was sold separately. It looks a lot like the MAX here in Portland, and I think my son would poo poo himself. But I can't justify a hundred bucks for that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Well, it's from the old LEGO Studios line, though I'm pretty sure it was during my Dark Ages since I didn't recognize it. At the time, LEGO was marketing a rebranded Logitech webcam, and you'd buy these sets to make movies with the included software. There was even an official Steven Spielberg minifig in one of them.

It's basically conflict-in-a-box taken to an extreme. I don't know that they were particularly popular beyond the novelty factor for a lot of the parts.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Hell, I'm in the Portland area and still trying to finish out S2, and I'm pretty sure I'm SOL. It's really hard for me to justify picking them up for anything more than retail (TRU retail at worst), but the completionist in me is just going nuts having only half of them on my mantle.

And, uh, it's driving the kids nuts too. Yeah, that. Definitely. They're...despondent.

Anybody in the Portland, OR area with extra S2 minifigs they're trying to get rid of?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Don't know if you're trying to build another complete set or two, but if not, I'd definitely be interested in a Spartan and a Weightlifter. PM me if you're up for it!

My fiancee found a half-ravaged box at the Burlingame FM in the Portland area. I know there's a mime, witch, vampire, lifeguard, mexican, traffic cop, and three others I can't remember. It looks like some retailers might have been keeping a box or two in reserve as stocking stuffers.

Fake edit: $2.99. drat capitalism!

Edit 2: Just to put it out there, I have an extra S1 Woodsman that I'd be happy to sell/trade.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 4, 2010

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The hazmat guy looks so terrified, I love it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Plus, isn't it like a 2+ hour drive from Anaheim to San Diego?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Observation

Dining

Hopefully more will be done in the next couple weeks.

Vinyl be damned, that is gorgeous and I am jealous of your talent. If I ever set out to build something semi-realistic, I just end up getting frustrated. I can make a killer swooshable spaceship, but a brownstone or rail car? Nope.

This is why I really love what LEGO has been doing lately with the modular buildings, Midnight Express, etc. Helping people like me build realistic, classy looking stuff.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sloppy posted:

What do Lego and GTA have in common?

Parents whine about the violence

http://www.theroot.com/views/lego-prison-industrial-complex-toy?wpsrc=OB00000001&wpisrc=obnetwork

Christ, that pisses me off. I cannot believe that a grown woman with children can look at a toy and think, "Oh, well, this idolizes the prison-industrial complex."

God forbid the learns of the Wild West line, because clearly that idolizes the systematic destruction of the Native American culture and brutal frontier justice inflicted upon misunderstood card sharks and bank robbers.

I'd like to see what toys she is happy with - I bet we could come up with quite a bit of moral outrage over them.

But most of all, it pisses me off because that poor kid has to deal with it. Protecting your kids from some of the crueler realities of the world is fine. Projecting your own politics onto their playtime is pretty ridiculous.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

PopeOnARope posted:

Perhaps the best part of it, is that this is more or less a revisit to a set made a few years ago. Why wasn't she flipping poo poo then.

Probably because her :angel: of a kid was just a twinkle in her eye or something.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Joudas posted:

How's the creator series Log Cabin? Anyone here bought it? The Burrow got me wanting to build a little retarded town.

It's a pretty simple build, definitely not as complicated as other houses in the Creator series. What I did not like about it was the lack of a baseplate, and sadly, from what I saw of an upcoming Creator house, it looks like they might be moving that way. In the Cabin set, the house is built upon normal plates - obviously, no one at LEGO builds sets on the carpet.

What I thought was really pretty cool about the Creator house sets previously was that they were a really nice "starter" set, especially since they included a full-sized or two half-sized baseplates.

I'm probably going to be moving the Cabin onto a standard half-sized baseplate soon. And someone should tell LEGO that you should never build a cabin that close to the water line - it will inevitably flood.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Joudas posted:

By Baseplate you mean those super flat ones that they used to use? I actually kinda like the move towards full normal plates being linked together a little more for some reason.

Yeah, studs on the top, flat on the bottom, pretty thin. I will admit that by using brick-built baseplates, they are providing some reasonably rare large-sized plates in organic colors. But if played with on the carpet, putting any pressure at all is going to probably dislodge the plates. I built the log cabin on the carpet and I held it in my hand the entire time while building it, as trying to press the bricks down basically separated the plates from the cabin structure.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

GidgetNomates posted:

A few other pieces that caught my eye, including some McDonalds ones. The three solid ones are a weird purple shade that I think might have gone with the McDonalds ones, they look more blue in the photo.

The purple slopes are definitely from the McDonalds sets (specifically, and obviously, the Grimace ones). They were the first time I could ever remember seeing purple Lego. They built into cars, and if you conned your parents into taking you to McDonalds once a week, I believe you could create some super-vehicle in the end.

Edit: My parents actually didn't need to be conned; if McDonalds was doing a Lego promo, we were there every week.

Edit 2: I can pull out that purple Space Police set and the Grimace slopes and see if the colors match if anyone cares.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 23, 2011

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

gently caress the ROW posted:

Here you go: http://i.imgur.com/qEE16.jpg

Observe how the great people's water cannon sprays into the picture of real live protesters being blasted

I've been tempted to buy some of the knockoffs before. I don't know about this one but the pieces look almost exactly like LEGO pieces (there are more auctions for this set - they sell them for $.01 and then put the actual price in the shipping cost).

Hahahah, Ligao. I found a Ligao set actually being sold, in a store, in America, once. I had to buy it. The pieces look incredibly legit, almost like they were from the actual molds, but there's something about the plastic and its friction that makes it not a terribly tight fit. If they invested a bit more in the plastic used, I'd say that they'd actually be better than Mega Bloks.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Sir, I accept your challenge. :tipshat:

1997's Town theme is pretty terrible all around. While it's not the mindfuck that Time Cruisers was, it's literally Lego at its laziest.

Just look at the lazy, half-finished, simplistic pieces of crap taking a brickshit all over the most traditional theme in history. Compare that lovely "gas station" to something iconic like the Gas N' Wash Express, or that lovely recycling truck to the many iterations of work trucks we've had.

No joke, the '97 Town theme is actually what pushed me into my dark age.

Basically, my parents were apparently thrilled that I liked something other than action figures, so they definitely encouraged the LEGO habit, so much so that they got me a double-loft bed. I slept above, and the entire lower bed was devoted to a LEGO town layout that I had built over the years.

And then LEGO started making GBS threads out these sets and...it just killed it for me. I kept the layout, but I stopped expanding and modifying it, and five years later, it got broken down and put away so that I could have more floor space. The '97 Town theme stole nine years of my LEGO-building life from me.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My beautiful and talented wife picked up the Town Hall on Friday and the Sydney Opera House for herself. Just finished up the Town Hall today, and she finished the Opera House last night.

The Opera House is a pretty good Architecture set - the "pedestal" of the building is solidly-built, and the final product looks a great deal like the actual building, making good use of the "shell" pieces. The only parts my wife had a hard time with were the way the pedestal attached to two turntable pieces to attach them to the base at an angle, and the ease at which the top half of the vertical hinges popped out of the shell pieces when attaching them. But it didn't feel as fragile as the White House in the end.

The Town Hall is another fantastic modular building. My son convinced my wife to pick it up out-of-series, even though I don't yet have the Pet Shop, and from what I've seen, I think that this is probably the more fulfilling build. There's some great techniques used for the main entrance and skylight, and it made good use of some new pieces to build the upper crown molding on the building (basically, pieces fit through some 1x2x3 panels with arches cut through them upside-down). It's not the most challenging modular building to construct, and I'm not wild about the "gingerbread" brown used prominently in the model, but it ends up looking pretty impressive. The only part I was a little disappointed in was the elevator - the way the mechanism for moving it attaches to the building inhibits the stability of the left wall. The only other way would be rope-and-pulley though, I suppose, and from my own experiments with that, it's difficult to do right.

However, its purchase does present one problem. I have no idea where I'm going to put the thing. Guess I need to go get another shelf and move the London Bridge away from the other modulars.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 4, 2012

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Pyroclastic posted:

You've gotta add filters to get rid of that crap. The search I have set up on my phone is "lego -xbox -ps3 -wii -psp -sony -nintendo -microsoft -gamecube -ps2 -stearns" (that last one keeps out the odd life vest). A -360 could work, too, but it could also filter out that price or a set number with it or something. It gets rid of almost all the video game crap, but some still sneaks through.

I have to do the same. I also usually add -table as well, as usually all that ever pulls up are dozens of "LEGO tables" that have some 48x48 knockoff baseplate glued to the top.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So, I moved into my dad's old house, and while trying to find space for clothes, I stumbled across something.

I figure I'll remind my dad about it once my nephew is old enough to like trains and lego. Need to get them started young.

Ah, the DB 7722. Seriously, this set made up a huge part of my childhood. My folks picked it up on clearance from TRU, and it cemented both my love of Lego and my desire for Lego trains.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Captain Invictus posted:

Haven't a few celebrities who play characters from things like Indiana Jones expressed happiness at having a Minifig version of themselves?

I recall Jordan Mechner, the creator of Prince of Persia, being pretty thrilled about Prince of Persia LEGO. I can't track it down, but I recall him mentioning a quiet joy when he was behind a kid who was buying a Prince of Persia set.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
For 12 and 15 dollars, I don't know that you could have stopped me, especially in that condition. It looks like the second one is going for at least double that on eBay, and about that at BrickLink.

Easily worth that in nostalgia. I love how the special pieces are on display, and how the box art is even proud of them. Nowadays, I think the only pieces that tend to warrant that treatment are flick missiles. I also like how it shows kids actually playing with the toys.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Luminaflare posted:

They do, they're all on the bottom of the box for some reason though.

My perhaps overly-cynical theory on that:

People are more likely to purchase an item the more they interact with it. Apple takes advantage of this not only by having all their products open for demo on the sales floor, but also by tilting the screens in a manner that encourages customers to un-tilt the screens to use them. Car dealerships will try to shuffle you right into test-driving a vehicle before you can compare and contrast other vehicles on a price-to-feature basis.

By only pricing the items on the bottom of the box, this encourages the parent, who frequently hold the purse strings, to interact with the product as well as the child.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I read that TOADY bullshit the other day and it really made me angry. Yes, LEGO Friends is more destructive to the minds of young girls than, say, Monster High, or Bratz, or...hell, take your pick. LEGO Friends is, at the very least, encouraging creativity, open-ended play, and having varied interests (remember the science-oriented set? Note that's not on the TOADY list).

And looking at the other items in the list - yeah, I roll my eyes a bit at all the smartphone-oriented toys out there now - it's a real cash grab at the moment - but the descriptions all reek of :supaburn: must-save-the-children nonsense. Yes, it is bad to let your children become zombies. But I think interacting with, let's be honest, the technology they're going to be using the rest of their lives in a child-friendly manner isn't all that bad. You can tell just how dedicated they are to their protectionism when they include, in their list, an app that is almost guaranteed to make your child more interested in reading. Yes, I'm sure letting your child "star" in a storybook will turn them into a narcissist.

And the Slurpee machine is just the usual Christmastime pap that comes out for clueless grandparents and college-aged aunts and uncles to buy.

I wonder if Lincoln Logs are even acceptable to the CCFC, or if it just encourages the white hegemony or some other nonsense. Hell, I'm sure a standard NERF ball is unacceptable because it has the NERF logo on it.

einTier posted:

Buy a Friends set and a Ninjago set. Problem solved.

Or, look online for alt builds. It should give you plenty of ideas.

Now you've made it into a war toy, trying to convert our :dings: into ruthless killers! Just wait until the CCFC hears about this!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sloppy posted:

These are amazing. I especially love the first 'Builders of tomorrow', the :wtc: look on the mom's face is priceless.

Both of the adults in that picture look like they're way too stoned to be a part of that photo shoot.

Joramun posted:

What's worse, they misspelled the word "Arctic".

Even my seven year old thought the title was ridiculous, though he found the idea of Mr. Freeze himself to be far more hilarious. And he hasn't even seen Batman & Robin (nor will he, if I have anything to say about it).

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Skulduggery posted:

So I just bought a house with my girlfriend, does anyone have any tips on moving/packing Lego sets without taking them apart? We both have a ton of Lego and a lot of big sets that we don't really want to take apart. I'm thinking no matter what I do pieces are going to fall off but I'd like to minimize the damage.

If you don't mind looking weird, I'd recommend hitting up local pharmacies and seeing if they have any freight boxes left over. My wife works for Fred Meyer, and she regularly picks up the boxes because they are, simply, fantastic and quite sturdy, and unlike some freight, it is handled well and the boxes are in great condition. Additionally, if they have any, boxes produced by Rexam are basically the perfect fit for most modular buildings with minimal reconstruction.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I never thought I'd get to this point, but c'est la vie:

Anyone interested in a complete Cafe Corner with instructions, sans box? PM me if you are.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ChesterJT posted:

Ahh gotta have that panel with the dates on it! Marty looks pretty drat good, Doc not so much.

It might be worth it for the Flux Capacitor brick in there alone (as long as it isn't a sticker...)

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

NitroSpazzz posted:

If you don't want the mini camper I'll take it off your hands, PM me.

I think he's saying that he would have liked the camper, but they introduced it during a month he wasn't planning on making purchases.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
OK, looking for some cleaning advice. My eldest lost his mind and urinated into his bin of LEGO. I'm seeing conflicting answers regarding dishwashers, washing machines, pillowcases, washing bags, and detergent in both Google and the thread. Did we come to a consensus on the best brute-force method for this, since it's obviously a bit more intense than the standard dust-and-crumbs scenarios.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Dammit, gonna need to get the Pet Shop now rather than later.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I was really hoping Lego Tower would be like SimTower.

It was not.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Dr Christmas posted:

Finished my first set in possibly 20 years, Voltron! Hell yeah!

Except there's a 2x2 white studless plate left over from the Black Lion, and it's making me nervous. Way bigger than any of the other extra pieces. I went over it once without taking much apart, and I don't think I missed anything. Is there a "standard" number of extra pieces for each set?

If I end up with an extra “important” piece on a bigger set, I usually walk back from the last step and look at each step’s part manifest. I usually find what I missed pretty quickly.

I don’t think I’ve ever had an extra 2x2 tile.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
More plant-based plants!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Oxyclean posted:

I think the VIP changeover is screwy for me. I tried to get to the VIP page but was just loading eternally both times I tried.

Had that happen to me too, until I turned off content blockers. :what:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My wife bought me the Galaxy Explorer off eBay because I talked about getting to build it growing up at two different relatives’ who both inexplicably had it. A very nostalgic build.

:3:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
One Galaxy Explorer down, one Airport Shuttle to go.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Pyroclastic posted:

...and anyone who would inherit them would almost certainly know the sets' values.
I don’t know about that. If the deceased didn’t put together a will, to someone not familiar with Lego, those would just look like new toys, not necessarily valuable ones (which might explain the Goodwill valuation too - they probably don’t get very many NIB sets, let alone rare ones, so it’d be pretty easy to conclude that they’re new, common, and cheap). I could easily see older parents dealing with the unexpected death of their adult son or daughter donating them without knowing their worth.

Hell, my parents know how extensive my collection is, but they wouldn’t have any idea how to price it (frankly, the scope of it even boggles my mind a bit).

In a way, I’m almost hoping that it was malicious - that collection could have covered a lot of funeral costs.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
30536?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

veni veni veni posted:

I’ll never get why LEGO is so inclined to make new parts, hairpieces, minifig molds or whatever on just about everything but Star Wars which they always seem to cheap out on. ironically it’s the most over priced line by far, but also uses the most recycled stuff.
They’ve introduced tons of elements for Star Wars, and some of them have become foundational pieces - ratcheting hinges are probably the best example to my mind.

I do think they tend to lean hard on the collectible side of Star Wars sets - minifigs and the like.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Either “PhatMojo” got in on the ground floor of that license, or they paid out the nose.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Purely opinion here, but how close will people be able to get to the completed model?

I think for your “positive” example, the effect works well because it’s generally photographed from far away, which lets the colors blend more and look more natural. Sort of like how from across the room, a circle looks like a circle on your TV, but when you get up close, you can see that it’s a bunch of squares.

I think scale also comes into play - the “negative” is “chunkier” than the positive one, which makes “chunky” blocks of colors stand out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get why they went with light grey for the bones, but ok.

Nerd answer: Lego skeletons are canonically white.

Real answer: at least with the set as designed, using a tan or brown would probably look too much like a non-skeletal Lego dinosaur, because there’s very little negative space.