Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I recently randomly grabbed a snow speeder from Target while I was grocery shopping, and now have a really hard time passing the Lego aisle without wanting to grab something every time. I haven't really thought about picking any up in the past but there is something really fun about the way it combines my two favorite things as a kid, and it's really fun to just sit and build a set while I'm watching a movie. I picked up the at-dp today. I don't really care about stuff that isn't from the original movies, but it's a pretty cool looking design. Probably should have went with the B-wing instead though.

Weirdly, I just found out a buddy of mine has the most obscene Lego collection I've ever seen and he's getting rid of it when he moves. He's got just about every Star Wars set and giving me first dibs on it which is pretty sweet. He's selling me the big X-wing model for $130 which seems like a steal. I don't know what else I'll buy from him cause I don't want to get into too much trouble, but he's got the regular and Masters versions of just about every cool Star Wars vehicle. Probably won't be able to resist the AT-AT or the big AT-ST model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you guys want, I'll let him know some people here might be interested in some of his stuff the next time I talk to him. It might be a little while, but I wanna grab that UCS X wing so I'll probably hit him up sooner than later. He was talking about selling it as lot after I pick through it, which seems insane because it's an entire room of complete sets. I don't think anyone could afford that and he's probably get completely hosed trying to sell them like that.

That AT-DP kit I picked up is actually really awesome. I was hesitant to buy something from some spinoff I've never heard of, but it looks just like some hybrid of an AT-ST/Robotech pod walker and it's well built and pretty big.

Edit: I have been eyeballing those UCS sets for a while and wondering, where can you find those at a fair price? I realize they are limited runs and some of them might be more valuable, but most of the places I've seen them listed the prices are absolutely ludicrous. Like, that X-wing appears to be worth $250-$300 new from the legit Ebay auctions I've seen, but most seem to have starting bids at around 1,800. Same seems to goe for all of the other UCS stuff. I don't get why people try to shoot for the moon with the prices on these things when they don't seem to be worth a fraction of that.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 24, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They might be the old ones. Yeah it's still in print as far as know. I don't know anything about the print runs. Are the ones that are out of production actually like 1800 bucks though? That seems outrageous.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually don't know which one it is that I'm buying. Pretty sure it's the current one. I think he just bought it at the Lego store last year. Some of the crazy prices I have seen must just be Ebay people over estimating how much something is worth. I've seen it with other collectables on Ebay and Amazon. I don't know the reason for it, but I've looked for things that are worth say, $200 on Ebay but 3/4 of the listing will be for $700 and getting no bids and other set for $200 buy it now's at the proper price. Maybe it's a snowball effect where one guy lists it for too much and everyone uses that auction as reference?.

Anyways, I was specifically looking for the UCS Snowspeeder and it always seems to be listed for around 1800 as well which seems insane. I'm not that familiar with Bricklink but I'll check it out. I've only got a few kits right now, but I want to make a little shelf of some of my favorite ships and machines from when I was a kid.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 24, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like it, but drinking out of a plastic mug :barf:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was wondering why I've had a recent bug to get a bunch of lego star wars sets after ignoring them for the last decade or more that Lego has been doing Star Wars, and I realized it's because they used to look really lovely. Looking up some of the old sets online, I'm not surprised I wasn't tempted to buy them. They have really come a long way with making the general forms into really nice looking Lego versions of SW stuff, vs the old stuff that looks like something I would make out of random lego's that were sitting around. Half of them weren't even the right colors and only vaguely resembled what they were going for.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

The A-Wings are my favourite to illustrate this

From this:

to this:

to this:

The second iteration isnt half bad, the last one is good, but i have no idea what they were thinking when they released the first one.

The latest iterations of all the iconic ep4-6 fighters are very good in my opinion, with their early 2000s versions being outright terrible.

There is a store near my house that has a some of the late 90's/early 00's stuff and two that really stuck out to me were the Snowspeeder and the B-wing. The snowspeeder was ridiculously bulky while the B-wing was way to slender.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've got the falling water set and I stupidly displayed it in my kitchen for a about a year and over time it got slightly sticky to the touch due to grease the air. Which also means dust kind of sticks to it. I'm trying to figure out a good way to clean it. Any ideas? I'm thinking I might just need to take it apart and soak it in soapy water or something, but something easier would be ideal. It's kind of hard to wiper down considering it's a bajillion tiny pieces.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Did you want to take it apart or not? Let them soak in kitchen detergent for a bit then throw them in a pillowcase into your washing machine.

I think I'll try this. I'll probably just take it apart and rebuild it when I have some time. Not dying to because it takes forever to build and I'm not even a huge fan of the set but it needs to be done and it's just in storage now.

I'm really wishing the regular SW sets came with stands. Just grabbed the B-wing yesterday and they did a good job with it, but it's lame it has to just sit there in landing mode. Is there a good place to buy parts to build stands for ships?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ika posted:

I filled half a PAB cup once with the 2 x 1 x 2 transparent windows, and use those to build stands for my ships.

I had to google what this was but that's pretty awesome. I have been meaning to stop by the Lego store and I have to get a couple of these cups when I do. Do they have a pretty good selection on the wall? I'd like to grab some technic pieces for the stands so they can be adjusted. Also, been wanting to build some MOC but have been hesitant to pull apart the Star Wars sets so that should be a good way to get some pieces to build stuff with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^cool. Think I'll just see what they have sometime this week.

So I stopped by my buddy's house who's selling his Lego today. His collection is absolutely insane. I've never seen so many Lego in my life. It took every fiber in my being not to bankrupt myself. He must have 20 grand worth of em.

Scored all this for 200 dollars though which was awesome.

He's saving the UCS B-wing for me as well which I'm gonna pick up in a month and I'll probably lay off after that. He also has the UCS super star destroyer which I'd love to buy,but I don't really have the space or money for it. It's probably the coolest and hugest set I've ever seen though.

Edit: Massive phone posting table breakage sorryVVVV

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 10, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I probably won't be getting any Simpsons stuff, but that is an extremely cool set. There's so much detail and so many little references in there. Is the frozen old guy just a sticker or what though? I can't really tell. Seems like it would have been better to use a minifig there.

So, Unrelated, but does anyone know roughly how much longer the Slave 1 UCS will be around at retail price or how long it will be in production?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only thing that is really a bummer about buying lego sets lately is fighting the urge to just pull them all apart and see what I can make while I'm watching netflix. I really don't want to mix them up, so I think the most the nerd in me will let me do is pull apart one set at a time and repurpose it. Even then, what if I like what I made better than the original set? I'll just end up pulling it apart after a bit to rebuild it...

I really have to get a little bucket of random bricks so all these star wars sets don't eventually end up mixed up in a big bin together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll probably catch crap for it ,but I'd just use my teeth. Been using them on really stuck pieces since I was 5 and I'm not going to stop now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pulled apart a b wing and made my first attempt at building my own thing in probably 20 years. I named it the Infuriator because it felt solid as a rock until I finished it and it fell apart about 5 times. I have gained a new found respect for all of that reinforcement the sets have that almost feels excessive while you are building it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The wedge on those orange ones seems like it's pretty much toast after pulling apart a big set with it. Luckily they aren't' hard to come by.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good lord that's hideous.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really wish ships would all come with pieces for a stand, at least bigger ones above a certain price. They have to know that a ton of these licensed set are ending up on the shelves of nerds and not just the hands of children at this point. They wouldn't need to be as elaborate as the UCS stands or anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why does Toy's R Us have such a huge mark up to begin with though? I went there the other day and every set is 3-15 dollars more than every other retailer. They price match but still, I thought Lego prices were pretty universal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

...they what now?

At major retail stores I mean. Obviously they are all over the place on the internet.

Just put together the newest version of the X-wing. The old one looks so comically bad next to it, it almost makes me want to just use it for parts. They really nailed it. I just wish they would make a new canopy that looks right. i hate that big extra square piece in the back. Otherwise I'm pretty impressed. Really fun to build too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tanith posted:

Is the newest version the one with the geologists hammers in the engine intakes?

That's the Red 5/UCS that they were talking about above, which is by far the coolest version of the X-wing (also has the correct shape for the canopy). I was talking about the mini fig scale one from a couple years ago though.

I'd really recommend picking up the Red 5 if it's going out of production. It's easily one fo the coolest sets I've ever seen. It's really awesome and I don't think pictures online do it justice. I'm kind of biased because the X-Wing is my favorite ship in Sci-Fi though. My only beef with it is that R2-D2 is way to loving small since they used a mini fig and the ship is about 2x minifig scale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I just showed them the target price on my phone and they matched it with no hassle. Did it both times I went in there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Turning Goodwill into an auction kind of ruins the fun. I mean, Obviously it's good for them to get more money since it's a charity but it would be a lot more interesting if they just put a solid price on them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

E:wrong thread

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 27, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know how much that new Imperial Shuttle is going to go for? It looks pretty awesome. 937 peices so I'm guessing in the $100 realm?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty big discounts on most of the current Star Wars Sets at Target and Toys R Us right now. I don't think they are marked in store but I'm guessing they match their own sites no problem? There isn't anything about it being online only. Mos Eisley for $55 at target is really tempting. Almost all the current stuff seems to be around 20% off though.

Trying to decide is I want to use this gift card I got from work on that, or drive down to the Lego store and grab the Ecto 1 this weekend? Will the ghostbusters set probably be around for a good long while? I'd like to grab it while it's still available but I'm not in a huge rush.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 4, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Looks like the prices are discounted at toys r us target and wal mart. I'm sure one of them has it. I see it all over the place.

I'd recommend picking it up if you can. They totally nailed the look of it. It's a really cool set and super fun to build

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^ Is that a set or some custom stuff? Easter batman is pretty awesome.

I'm usually not much into the star wars diorama sets but Mos Eisley is pretty cool. Pretty good deal too. I'm kind of surprised at how much stuff it comes with at the price. The lack of bartender is bizarre though.

Also, first set I've ever bought in my life that was missing a piece and there was an abnormally large number of extras. Like, an entire handful, and some of them were pretty large. Someone in the warehouse must have been hungover.\

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Which set was it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I play more video games than I care to admit and I still can't wrap my head around what those games are. Is it like an RPG and you play as the characters you buy the toys of?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That little Delorean looks better than the big one. One of the worst sets I've ever seen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Found my old Legos at my parents house, which was awesome but at the same time there are so few parts from the 80's/90's that are really exciting. So many squares. So few hinges, round stuff, cool windshields, no technic. :sigh: I wanna build some spaceships.

The funny thing is half of it is from Lego space stuff. They just didn't make a wide variety of parts back then I guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

You got slopes and tiles and wings, what more do you need. Plus transparent bits, gun bits, and poles and lots of things that look like rocket engines. Everything a kid needs to build an epic spaceship. :colbert:

True. there is some good stuff in there for sure. Nothing as far as rocket engines go that are big enough for a bigger build though unfortunately.

I did find an OG 80's Benny in there though which was pretty cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I made a little space station out of my old legos. Space damage bite marks added 20 years prior for realism.

Outside

inside

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Who is making/enforcing/following these laws?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone snap a picture of the far end of the big gun on the UCS B wing for me? Goddamn that thing is a house of cards and I'm missing part of the instructions for the time being.

In other news I sort of inherited a few legos today...

:pwn: No idea where I'm even going to store this atm.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That is excellent. I had no idea they did this! I'm missing the instructions for the Red 5 as well and it's been bugging me that I can't pull it apart and build it.

It sounds cheesy but I'm sure you guys can sympathize that a Lego set doesn't really feel like it's mine until I put it together myself, and these UCS sets were already together hen I got them.

beato posted:

That huge window from the Paradisa sets was the greatest contribution my sister made to the Lego pile. I used it in pretty much every big spaceship-submarine-tank-hybrid thing I ever made as a canopy for my control room which was full of every part I owned that had buttons or screens printed on it.

Totally. My brother didn't even like toys much as a kid, and for some reason a relative gave him a paradiso set for Christmas which was funny as hell at the time. I managed to salvage the windows and a female minifig which was really unusual at the the time, then he lost the rest of the pieces.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Made this little guy tonight. I really like how it came out. :3: It's probably the most articulated thing I've made.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm guessing if they are selling that well they will probably make plenty more eventually. Didn't they just come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm probably the last one to notice this, but I am so getting this when it's released. They did such a good job with it.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/52042