Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

More than once in my childhood, I found myself looking at megablocks and saying "What the gently caress, these aren't LEGOs." I'm not sure they run the risk of Kleenex-level overfamiliarity, because their product actually is so much better.

Anytime my brother and I found a megablock in our pile of LEGOs we'd pop that sucker between the teeth and give it a good squeeze; the inferior plastic would crumble readily. A true, humble 1x1 LEGO block on the other hand can take an enormous amount of molar gnawing before it finally becomes unusable. :colbert:

It'd suck if they didn't hold up so well, because teeth are the best brick separator known to man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

President Kucinich posted:

This was posted in the comments.

http://spacepolice.lego.com/en-us/products/5984.aspx

I could see why someone might make a fuss out of this.

Ohhhhhhhh poo poo, I've been wanting to pick up some for a while and now I think I know what set I'll try to get.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Lord Commissar posted:

Why? Does it matter?

I didn't have it bookmarked and missed it for a while

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

InfinEight posted:

Holy poo poo, another (delayed) MOC from me so soon? Say it ain't so!

More here or here. Trying to recreate the box-art made me miss Lego's old studio techniques. I loved those little space environments they made.

Everytime I see this, I miss my Deep Freeze Defender. I'd love to see some sort of faction/series reboots for those great old sets, even if we can't have magnets these days because kids swallow them or whatever.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

So I finally got the Space Pimpmobile (my wife got it for me for my birthday) and also the large Space Police ship with the removable front. Interesting to see how construction methods have changed since the Deep Freeze Defender.

Still impressed they made a pimp limo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

I regret I didn't buy any of those, or any Indiana Jones sets. It all came out during the few years of my life when I wasn't playing with Lego for some reason.

This is my return to owning Legos, that began with my wife and another goon getting me the old Dark Dragon's Den and the newer Outpost Attack, plus the Lunar Limo. I found the big Space Police ship for like $45 with two day shipping so I got that myself while looking at newer sets.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Xenophon posted:

Time Cruisers was just about the dumbest thing, it really looks like they just had some extra pieces from their other themes and tried to throw something together:

That is the entire point, to recoup the costs on less common pieces.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Revol posted:

There's a lot of 1x2 white grill bricks, which are always nice to have. I also see a lot of 1x3 green bricks. But then I get this useless poo poo:

These are neat pieces and I wish I had more :confused:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm prone to favorite a lot of Space style stuff, so those would go well in a garage as you said, somewhere on a mech, to hold all the extra air tanks and helmets and weapons onboard a ship while also functioning as a bulkhead. From what I recall those doors fit pretty snug, you could use them for refillable bomb bays for when you're swooshing your spaceships.

Maybe I should point out I also really liked the old 2x2 slotted hatched containers that were everywhere when M-Tron was around.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

A Samus minifigure? Too good to be true.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Sexual Lorax posted:

Good call.

Unrelated, while looking up the other stuff, I came across these guys. Custom weapons aside, it's pretty badass:

Those are surprisingly good Lego P90s :raise: Any idea who makes those? I love the use of the ski in that robot.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

meme23 posted:

For cheap plastick blocks Lego's are expensive as gently caress.

All plastic is cheap.

Exacktly what standard's suggest plastick's all cheap?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Until its orbit decays and it plummets into the Earth, leaving Lego City a smoldering pile of bricks!

It turned out okay in the game

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Amazon had that huge Saturn V on sale for $20 off (so $100) if anybody's looking to get it

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Amazon has the Ninjago docks for fifty bucks off right now

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Everybody knew: legos could be pulled apart with your teeth, megabloks would warp and crumble instead.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That is pretty awesome. I wanted to highlight this, I didn't know those Technic gears came in green - clever parts usage.

Looks like they only came in green in a couple of old Dacta sets which is why they're so expensive on Bricklink.

I know nothing about plastics Lego used, but could grey and white pieces be recolored or dyed?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Was looking for Christmas presents and saw Amazon has the Saturn V back up for $120 if you missed out and want to spend $120 on a gigantic showpiece.

Yes, I'm an enabler. No, I have no guilt.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Yeah it's nuts, it popped back up the other day, dropped in price suddenly, and sold out instantly!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

I had 6080 which was the same way. I remember this set just being absolutely enormous and amazing and then you look at it compared to modern sets and it's kinda lol. 664 pieces? I don't even get out of bed for less than 3,000 pieces.

Those building wall prefabs with the window cutouts and recessed top for roof plates and bottom connectors get a lot of mileage at low part count. They looked nice and function well!

King's Mountain Fortress was like 400-something!

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Finally finished that mini Brick Bank!

Here it is with the others for a set of 5:

Instructions here:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-102923/mattking4/brick-bank-mini-modular/#details

I think they look even better placed all together like that, but do like the details on the other sides as well