Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

ChickenHeart posted:

Baron Von DapperStache, Brick Daddy, and TURBO-PHARAOH 5000 are ready to tighten their respective hands/mandibles/robo-hooks around their wood-paneled city. Aw yeah.

Where can I get that Baron minifig? I've never seen it and the moustache is enchanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

McFunkerson posted:

I think you mean "Reavers!"

That kinda makes me want to attempt building Serenity out of LEGO!

You've been beaten to the punch, but there's no reason not to build your own:

http://www.reasonablyclever.com/lego/firefly/

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

InfinEight posted:

However, last week, Skopio XV-1 went on sale on Lego.com: http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=8996 making it half off. So, I bought it from Lego.com and returned the other one to TRU, saving myself $15.

I got stuck on the Processing Payment screen. Twice. All I wanted was some treads so I could make tanks and poo poo.

EDIT: Woo, third time's the charm!

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

I've never browsed that section of the LEGO Site. Bookmarked and saved for future use, thanks man.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone know if that Advent Calendar will be available in Canada?

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

I let out an audible moan when I scrolled down and saw that 599. Did you get it at Lasting Toys, aka the store that I should raid to but never go to?

Today was double-time pay at work, so I'm rewarding myself with the Lamborghini Polizia and Medieval Market Village. Had no idea that the Polizia was even available until someone mentioned it a few pages back; tempted to get the Gallardo too, because every cop needs a speeder to chase.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Are those Warhammer Ork flags being used as sails?

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Why does that town not have a brothel?

Also, the key question: is the sheriff black?

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

DoktorVerderben posted:

This thread has totally rekindled my love of Lego. Since I've started reading the thread I have dug up my Lego collection and bought myself the Darth Vader's Tie Fighter set(pretty cool set). I've also been playing with the Lego Digital Designer, and I could see this eating into my money like crazy, especially when I can make cool stuff like this little bit of pixel art of the old NES game River City Ransom:

Click here for the full 1920x957 image.

'sup, pixel art buddy :hfive: ? Kudos on the proper pixel build -- I find that building pictures on a flat surface allows for that proper, square pixel look. Not that building up with bricks isn't a bad idea, it's just that bricks aren't a perfect square, like a pixel.

/pedant

I'm wondering what to get off the Lego site this month. That bridge is tempting, but I have nowhere to put it.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

djfooboo posted:

Win $1,000 worth of LEGO!

http://cache.lego.com/downloads/shop/Wishlist2010/NA_wishlist.pdf

Hmm, do I want to be like that dude who built the Iron Man suit and competed against children?

I kinda do...

quote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-moose/5065534215/#/photos/blue-moose/5075093540/lightbox/

Well gently caress me silly.

EDIT: That link led me to a freakin' HIPPODROME. drat, son.

Guzwar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 13, 2010

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

:rock: Hell yes! http://www.blind-guardian.com/2010/10/25/and-then-there-was-lego/

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Iveliosiudicium posted:

The beard gets put on before the head.

I just spent about two hours rebuilding a few sets and organizing pieces left and right. I need to setup a desk for this poo poo, sitting indian-legged on the floor like I did when I was a kid doesn't work anymore. My ankles, knees, and lower back kill. It makes me feel old.

I share your pain. Got the Imperial Flagship on Thursday, started at 6, finished at 11, went to bed satisfied but oh so achy. Yesterday at work was painful, to say the least. But I'll be damned if that ship isn't a great set.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Good show! It's a great display piece and gives you the itch to build a coastal fort.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Hoooooly balls, a medieval mill, a new City harbour, and a new Technic Super-fuckin'-car :flashfap:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Ziploc posted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mBs0Hi9OjY0/TQHfqQSmAHI/AAAAAAAAEAM/ZNgS1uankV4/s1600/80701.jpg

Doesn't have a real gear shifter. :(

My collection of 4 Supercars will remain the same.

I didn't have the disposable income for the previous supercars, but now that I do, I'll take what I can get.

Flavor Bear: definitely get the village, listen to Turisas while building, then start plotting new buildings for it, like an apothecary or a brewery.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Lord Commissar posted:

The Imperial Flagship was worth every penny.

If only they could make an equally impressive Pirate ship.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

75% off?! I'm so happy that Target has decided to move up to Canada.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Pagan posted:

If anyone is thinking about getting the space pimp limo, do it now. According to the official LEGO store, the Space Police line is discontinued. Neither Wal-Mart nor Target had any in stock; I had to call two Toys R Us stores to find one.

Nooooo! And it was double VIP points month on Lego.com, too.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

RabbitWizard posted:

Right now i'm building this one, 8466 4x4 Off Roader and try to figure out how the transmission works.

This set is a drat fine set. The gull-wing doors are excellent, and even have a small bottom portion that opens up into a sort of step-ladder.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

My younger brother is still doing custom minifigs and selling them on eBay.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thoughtsinmyhead/
Some highlights:

He plans to do a whole set of cursed crew and sell them in time for the official series release.

That bear-riding dwarf with the golden axe needs to be in the next Kingdoms/Castle sets, because hot drat does the Castle line need friggin' bear-cavalry.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Also, my sister got me a few pounds of what looks like mostly late-90s/early-2000s sets from her sister-in-law's girlfriend, who was just gonna toss them. I wonder how often that happens...people who just throw away bricks instead of taking them to goodwill or putting them on craigslist or even giving them to a neighbor's kids.

A co-worker of mine tossed her (now grown) sons' toys during a fit of housecleaning, even after telling them she'd throw them out and they have a week to claim them. She gave me a partial list of what was thrown out -- Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, and lots of LEGO -- and after some quick Googling, I told her she tossed about two grand worth of toys and collectibles.

:negative:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

If Lego would release the ISS set to the public, they'd make a killing. I need to make some teacher friends and get the instructions.

Holy poo poo one of her flutes was given to her by IAN ANDERSON of Jethro Tull.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Jordanis posted:

This should help more (one item over in the larger gallery :v:)
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85974

Oh my lord, he has instructions for a Venator-class Star Destroyer. Bookmarked for when I'm on vacation!

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

benito posted:

I never thought I'd see a Lego Breaking Bad project:

Oh balls, he did a Batcave and STARCOM :monocle:

EDIT: Ah, that Porsche. My brother and I watched the vid yesterday. Unreal. He even got the weight ratio down.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, Fonzie.

Fonzie is so 60's, this is the modern era. Tunnel Snakes rule!

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Revol posted:

einTier, so if I actually have the two wheels placed on the ground and they have the weight of a build on it, they're going to drive at similar speeds?

The steering gear only sits on the axle, but it doesn't turn with it. That's thanks to the specific gear used here. The hole in this gear is simply a round hole, it's not fitted to an axle. This allows the gear to turn independently of the axle.

So, to drive the wheels, you can either drive the gear at the top, or you can simply drive the axle itself. (Driving the axle directly from a motor is not suggested, because as this stands now, it drives VERY slowly. I've had to gear it up myself to get it to turn at a decent rate.)

To steer, your only option is to have to drive that special gear.

Like I said, Sariel is the best Technic builder around. His blog is a must-read for any Lego fan. Here is an image collage of almost all his builds so far (he's made about 3-4 more after this):

He's done poo poo like a functioning human arm, and made builds so complex that they use up to 17 Lego motors. And yes, his last build on there is a Portal sentry turret that fires when it sees you. It also talks with sound bytes from the games.

This guy is going to build an Autobot someday.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

The Fire Brigade has disappeared from LEGO Shop@Home :ohdear: Looks like it's the next set to be discontinued, so if any of you have an unopened one, lock it away and let the value grow.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

ireladd posted:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Fire-Brigade-10197?CMP=KAC-SAHCSNA&HQS=10197

But it will indeed be gone very soon. I'm guessing November. That's when Green Grocer disappeared.

:psyduck: How did this not show up since yesterday? I scoured every single section and it wasn't there.

Welp, time to buy it and Van Alden myself.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, my good man.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Aztec warrior, knights, vikings -- getting so close to Lego Age of Empires. Hell, with Poseidon in there you can do Age of Mythology!

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

No. Stop. Do not buy that Lego.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Have base plates been completely removed from LDD? Even Universe mode doesn't seem to have them.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Ah, thank you. They did this last year with one of the other big patches too, didn't they? I can't see why they wouldn't open that up by default.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

A LEGO movie seems odd, but I'm sure they could find a way to make it fun, ie: Michael Bay.

What really caught my eye in that article was this:

quote:

action fantasy movie Paradise Lost, based on John Milton’s famous poem, with Bradley Cooper, Casey Affleck and Dominic Purcell.

What? What? How is... why...? :psyduck:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Hey guys, today only: 25% off all LEGO at Chapters.Indigo online-only.

I joined the Millennium Falcon club today :cool:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

I want to buy a few more tripods and then get the mini-modulars and recreate War of the Worlds on my desk.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

AlexJade posted:

So after 20 years I am finding my love of Legos again. Thing is my favorite sets were always the castle and knight sets. Unfortunately it seems the kingdoms sets are not in production anymore. :( But there is a lego store near me! So excited.

I just built the Mill Village Raid a few days ago, and really regret not getting more Kingdoms/Castle sets. Shame that they're getting rid of them to make room for the LotR sets -- I think you could easily have both on the market at the same time, with Kingdoms acting as unofficial supplements. Yeah, the Hobbits totally stole that farmer's food. That blacksmith there, he's just making armour for the defense of the White City.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Reminds me of me!

That was the bulk of my new collection after two months.

What are the black and green sets behind the spider, and that white walker thing with the orange cockpit? MOC's or regular sets?

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Mars Mission

Ohhhh, right right right. It always slips my mind and then I see the trans-orange pieces and think "man, those would make for some sick Dutch Space Civilization sets".

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

This is basically what I imagined I had built with my M-Tron as a kid :allears:

Indeed. Towers, monorail, ships, vehicles, a friggin' mining drill -- childhood heaven right there. I can't begin to imagine how much money Lego could make if they reintroduced the M-Tron (or even the other classic Space) line(s). Probably enough to buy a small country, or a chain of Pacific islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Via the ThinkGeek FB feed: Lego organ playing the Star Wars theme.

So many scenes on one drum. And of course youtubers complain about it being off-key, as if that matters.