Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underwear
May 13, 2006

In as SkillySkully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013
Used to play this game all the time, saw this and I am up for a fresh start.
Pirate name is Elephantius

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Ditto, in as Rhube (Rhubarb got taken :()

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
How's the activity with this game? I played it a long time ago and really enjoyed it but it seemed like player numbers were declining to the point where it was hard to find things to do.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Redmark posted:

How's the activity with this game? I played it a long time ago and really enjoyed it but it seemed like player numbers were declining to the point where it was hard to find things to do.

There's still plenty of activity. There's always a pillage or SMH going on somewhere. That doesn't mean we as a crew are always running these activities, but these activities are always active on the ocean.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I guess I'll see if I remember how to play this game, then.

In as Redmark.

edit: Windows Firewall completely murders the game, apparently. Having it on makes it nigh unplayable.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 16, 2013

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
In case this interests anyone: iOS version of this comes out today. Supposed to be a pretty good version.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
it's aliiiiiiive

http://www.appshopper.com/games/puzzle-pirates

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007
You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids: 'cause you're stupid!
Now we can truly never get away from this game.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm gonna go ahead and bite again. I think my last guy got deleted, and my permanent guy from like ten years ago I don't remember even the email address that was associated with, so I'm in as Teddycorg.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 21, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm playing for now as JaDaRastaMan

jackthesailor
Jul 21, 2006
smokeblunts
Any word on how the game runs on the iOS?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

jackthesailor posted:

Any word on how the game runs on the iOS?

I'd be interested in this as well, particularly on a smaller screen like an iPhone instead of an iPad (I don't even know if it's even available on the iPhone version of the app store, actually)...

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
There's no iPhone version. It works well enough on the iPad, but certain puzzles are way better than others. Specifically, swordfighting, brawling and sailing are enormous pains in the rear end. Carpentry gets an honorable mention but it's not too bad.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

In as Droney, doing some random voyages to grind up cash for a parlor badge so I can just play poker constantly. If anyone's around, toss me an invite.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Drone posted:

In as Droney, doing some random voyages to grind up cash for a parlor badge so I can just play poker constantly. If anyone's around, toss me an invite.

You may be on the wrong ocean. We're on Emerald.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

You guys weren't kidding about the poker tables being softer than soft.

I bought $10 worth of doubloons for the iPad release sale, spent two days doing shop puzzles, then decided poker might be a fun diversion. I sold enough doubloons to skip NL200 because it's really hard for me to take fractions of pennies seriously at all. At least if I was playing for fifty cents or whatever I'd be capable of caring.

In one day I've gone from 40k to 250k and am now grinding out my first million at NL20k so I can start playing 200k.

At one point I had over 30k on a NL2k table.

These people are awful. I love it.

This is so much better than grinding out a few distillery puzzles here and there.

What's 200k like? Can I expect it to at least have some people who know what they're doing? Or is it garbage all the way up? 20k is a marked improvement from 2k so I assume 200k has mainly people who know not to shove J6o.

edit: I'm in as Anisoptera if someone wants to invite me or whatever. I'm planning on buying an island.

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 25, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Big Ink posted:

You may be on the wrong ocean. We're on Emerald.

poo poo, I'm still on Meridian. I'll roll a new guy.

Edit: on Emerald now, same name. In as Droney.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
To find someone online type: /cw Salty Mouthfuls . This will give you a list of people to who can send a /tell demanding an invite.

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 27, 2013

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Dessert Rose posted:

You guys weren't kidding about the poker tables being softer than soft.

I bought $10 worth of doubloons for the iPad release sale, spent two days doing shop puzzles, then decided poker might be a fun diversion. I sold enough doubloons to skip NL200 because it's really hard for me to take fractions of pennies seriously at all. At least if I was playing for fifty cents or whatever I'd be capable of caring.

In one day I've gone from 40k to 250k and am now grinding out my first million at NL20k so I can start playing 200k.

At one point I had over 30k on a NL2k table.

These people are awful. I love it.

This is so much better than grinding out a few distillery puzzles here and there.

What's 200k like? Can I expect it to at least have some people who know what they're doing? Or is it garbage all the way up? 20k is a marked improvement from 2k so I assume 200k has mainly people who know not to shove J6o.

edit: I'm in as Anisoptera if someone wants to invite me or whatever. I'm planning on buying an island.

It gets better on 200k, but it's a far cry from the best poker you'll play on the Internet.

The level of play is always better on non-Free Poker Days. You'll soon find out that Free Poker Day is synonymous with Free Money Day.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Zypher posted:

It gets better on 200k, but it's a far cry from the best poker you'll play on the Internet.

The level of play is always better on non-Free Poker Days. You'll soon find out that Free Poker Day is synonymous with Free Money Day.

Yeah, I was noticing that the quality was a little bit "better", in that people actually fold to my cbets and actual value bets on occasion, and usually when I get all in they have at least top pair.

I bought an entire outfit and barely put a dent in my roll. I still don't know how to get to the island my friend started on, but I'm rolling in cash!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm not nearly good enough at poker to make money off it, I think. Although I still haven't played extensively on free days.

Also, I think Emerald is down at the moment.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Playing as Zetetic.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Tried this maybe a year ago, got in with the salty mouthfuls for a month or two and burned out. Picking it up again because I don't know, but I'm back as ScottFree.

Can't remember a drat thing about the game other than the puzzles. So hope i can get an invite or some clue on what to do again.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jade Star posted:

Can't remember a drat thing about the game other than the puzzles. So hope i can get an invite or some clue on what to do again.

The game is called Puzzle Pirates. It's all about puzzles.

A kind goon bought me a Parlor Badge so I've just been playing poker and cleaning out pubbies' wallets of all their pieces of eight.

I'm pretty big on sailing/rigging/swordfighting/brawling too. :3:

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 29, 2013

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Right, just looken for a crew or some better idea of what to do than free boot off the notice board with pubbie pillages.

Seems like poker is where its at if I had a badge for it. e: erf, 4 dubloons for the badge. more than I can afford right now.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 29, 2013

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Jade Star posted:

Right, just looken for a crew or some better idea of what to do than free boot off the notice board with pubbie pillages.

Seems like poker is where its at if I had a badge for it. e: erf, 4 dubloons for the badge. more than I can afford right now.

You can hit poker on it's free days to get enough PoE to get the parlor badge. I know a lot of pirates who haven't paid a dime and have pretty much everything they want.

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

Dredging up this thread to say I'm playing as Wubwubwub. I've been playing this game forever on another server and just now came across this thread. :downs:

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Skeevyjoe ready to peep your port-hole!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Saucyjack, ready to spread sauce.

Thailander
Oct 1, 2013
JuicyHarry reporting for duty.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Poopette: ready for plank-walking, deck-swapping, and poop-decking.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

Poopette: ready for plank-walking, deck-swapping, and poop-decking.

If you log back in I can send you an invite. I was having internet troubles.

wesdotcool
May 7, 2011
I remember playing this game when it was in beta. I was in so early I managed to get the name Ahab. It seems to be taken now... Anyway, Wesdotcool is back for more puzzling!

What's the state of the goons in emerald? Do we have a crew? How do I join this crew? Do we have an Island? Some shoppes? How can my puzzle skills help everyone?! Also is there an IRC somewhere?

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

wesdotcool posted:

What's the state of the goons in emerald? Do we have a crew? How do I join this crew? Do we have an Island? Some shoppes? How can my puzzle skills help everyone?! Also is there an IRC somewhere?

To answer your questions: It exists. We do. Get someone's attention in crew. No. Yes. If we get enough people on at the same time I'll run a pilly. Not that I know of.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
I'm on as Shinnock.

So... how good do you need to be at poker to actually make money at it? I know how to play and not much more, so maybe I'm just as terrible as everyone else?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Everyone's terrible at poker early on but later on they get less awful, and I'm pretty sure free poker days are basically free money days for anyone with a remote understanding of the game.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I'm pretty sure that it's still the same as it was before, but if it's changed I don't know but this is how it used to be ANYWAY
There is always one winning hand dealt in Y!PP poker. It's not completely random like regular poker would be. If you try to play it like it's regular poker you end up finding yourself folding on a 2 9 before the cards come out just to see something like 2 9 9 come out on the flop. If you think you might have crap, stick it out through the flop at least unless you get this situation:

The other thing about Y!PP poker is you'll see people go all in every hand before the flop comes out. If you can match them then do it too. The downside is you usually end up chasing away other people on the table who want to play for realsies, the upside is if you get dealt the winning hands you'll bust the all-in jerks and can go back to regular poker.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Dead Cow posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's still the same as it was before, but if it's changed I don't know but this is how it used to be ANYWAY
There is always one winning hand dealt in Y!PP poker. It's not completely random like regular poker would be.

There's always one winning hand dealt in every poker game ever, even if it's seven high.

n.ed: Well, sometimes there is more than one winning hand, I suppose, since ties occasionally happen. But there's always at least one.

real edit: This is also terrible advice:

Dead Cow posted:

The other thing about Y!PP poker is you'll see people go all in every hand before the flop comes out. If you can match them then do it too. The downside is you usually end up chasing away other people on the table who want to play for realsies, the upside is if you get dealt the winning hands you'll bust the all-in jerks and can go back to regular poker.

If someone is really going all in every hand (be careful, because a lot of people will open jam AA/KK and nothing else) you can loosen up your range but you definitely don't want to call with just anything. Maybe A5+, K9+ and 55+. You get a massive equity increase if you tighten up.

That's pretty much the best advice overall anyone can give a beginner: Fold more. Just play less hands. No, really, fold that too. Yes, you really should fold 3/4 of your hands.

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

In as Sierpinski, ready to make triangles.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 15, 2013

• Locked thread