Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
It really depends. There are legitimate products sold on eBay, but also lots of scum trying to steal your money. If you're buying diamonds then common scams are mis-graded stones, fractured fill clarity enhancement, and HPHT processing. I wouldn't be surprised to see forged lab certificates, either.

If you're buying color then know that the vast majority of color gemstones on eBay are enhanced and sold without disclosure. eBay makes no effort to enforce accuracy in gemstone listings, and they benefit (through higher fees) from the fraud. One eBay trick is to accompany the gems with "gem lab certificates" that certify doctored stones without mentioning the enhancements. Most fraudulent sellers have a relationship with a no-name gem lab to pump out these certs.

The fakes are so prevalent that no one in the jewelry business browses eBay to find a lucky gemstone deal. If the stones on eBay were really a bargain then I would be buying them for resale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoliticalMonster
Nov 5, 2010
Speaking of gem labs, is the Asian Institute of Gemological Sciences considered to be a reputable lab for certifying stones?

Who do you recommend for that?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
I don't have any experience with AIGS, but I will ask someone who would know.

Edit: According to my trusted source the AIGS is an upstanding gem lab with quality standards. They are considered on par with the GIA.

JohnnyRnR fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 31, 2010

PoliticalMonster
Nov 5, 2010
Thanks JohnnyRnR! You've been extremely helpful!

This thread is a little light on the pictures, so I figured I'd post the ring I just proposed with and give some info on what I did to get it.

This is a 1.18ct Alexandrite set in a 14kt White Gold setting which is inlaid with moissanite. I bought the ring and gem separately (online) then found a good local jewelry who set them. You can save some money when doing this, but you do need to be very careful and put a lot of work into the research.

For anyone thinking of getting a Moissanite Co. setting, keep in mind that their 14kt gold is rhodium plated, which means it'll have to be replated if you resize or do any soldering on it. Not a bad thing necessarily but adds a little to the cost.

One thing I learned, go see all the gems you can in person! Buying online is super hard because jewelry, and gems specifically, really can't be done justice by photos. Also, Alexandrite is a real pain to photograph.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
Nice looking ring, man :) Is your fiance (I hope?) into science, because that ring represents a lot of cool engineering.

PoliticalMonster
Nov 5, 2010
Yup she said yes! Unfortunately she isn't super into science, but I enjoy thinking about it. :science:

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
My girlfriend recently got the pendant/pin pictured below. It's pretty cool looking except for the garnets as the eyes of the dragons are pretty small and boring. I was wondering if it was feasible to have these replaced with something more exciting and radiant. If so, would there be a particularly cool replacement gem? They're pretty small, so I'm assuming that even diamonds of that size would be reasonably priced. The piece purports to be sterling silver, if that matters.

Click here for the full 800x422 image.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
Would anybody be able to give me some advice on this ring? My girlfriend seemed interested in getting a ring, so I'm going to get one for her for her birthday. It isn't an engagement ring or anything, and I don't want it to look like one either.

I've found this one, which looks pretty good to me: http://www.etsy.com/listing/61657955/before-sunrise

Does that seem reasonable? The price $95 price tag seems high to me since it is only silver, and semiprecious stones. If anybody has any other suggestions for something similar, that would be great too.

Oh, another thing. Is it bad to get somebody a birthstone that isn't theirs? Hers is amethyst but I think the Peridot or Citra would look better.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Nelsocracy posted:

Would anybody be able to give me some advice on this ring? My girlfriend seemed interested in getting a ring, so I'm going to get one for her for her birthday. It isn't an engagement ring or anything, and I don't want it to look like one either.

I've found this one, which looks pretty good to me: http://www.etsy.com/listing/61657955/before-sunrise

Does that seem reasonable? The price $95 price tag seems high to me since it is only silver, and semiprecious stones. If anybody has any other suggestions for something similar, that would be great too.

Oh, another thing. Is it bad to get somebody a birthstone that isn't theirs? Hers is amethyst but I think the Peridot or Citra would look better.

When it comes to silver jewelry, you're paying more for the original design/labor/artist's overhead than you ever are for the stones or the metal. Maybe it would cost you twenty bucks to buy the basic elements to make the ring, but you'd have nothing but a lump of silver and unset stone. I'd say the price tag is fair since it's a hand made piece and an original design. Cool ring, by the way.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!

Rootbeer Baron posted:

When it comes to silver jewelry, you're paying more for the original design/labor/artist's overhead than you ever are for the stones or the metal. Maybe it would cost you twenty bucks to buy the basic elements to make the ring, but you'd have nothing but a lump of silver and unset stone. I'd say the price tag is fair since it's a hand made piece and an original design. Cool ring, by the way.

Thanks. I was worried it might have veen misleading but it does look pretty good to me and i think she will like it. Ill order it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MY GIRLFRIEND and I have been looking around at rings, half-seriously. Basically to get an idea of what's out there and what we like/don't like.

Last night we were at the mall and on the way out decided to just stop by and look at the selection of one of the mall stores. The idea being, we'd find something she likes and then get something similar from a mom and pop store.

We found a few that she liked and of course we got the sales lady to bring up the warranty and credit app and how much the ring was on sale that week. What was interesting is that she pulled another identical ring and showed us the difference between the two. They were the same ring, same cost, but the main stone was insanely brighter than the other. She started to go on about how that one was such a great deal and the stone was so nice, and that she's set that one aside for us if we wanted it.

So my question is, is this a common trick that they do? Did she have another ring setup with some dirt stuck in the bottom of the setting or something to make it look bad? The stone in the other ring looked so dirty and cloudy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I have a loose stone (aquamarine) that I'd like to get set into a pendant. Unfortunately for me, it's not calibrated, and it's a larger stone (not obscene - 11mm wide, 23mm long, give or take a few tenths, and I think 7.5mm deep - a little under 8.5 carats).

Don't need anything fancy, but Stuller has nothing that will fit it in their catalog, and a call tells me nothing they can shape will fit it either. Hoping for something fairly basic, maybe with a few other small stones (probably stick with beryls, maybe Morganite), and looking at silver, palladium, or white gold for the metal. What's my best option? Take it to a jeweler and hope for the best? Master metalsmith? Give up and buy something calibrated, or buy a piece that's already finished?

JohnnyRnR posted:

Synthetic diamonds just aren't available right now. They still cost more to make than natural diamonds cost to mine. Very soon they should be available in the market... Gemesis is claiming to have finally gotten the costs down to match natural diamonds, and Apollo Diamond has very limited availability. If you call them they might be able to sell you one direct.

Can you speak on the synthetic diamond industry a bit more? On page 3 you mentioned that DeBeers is now rumored to have the most advanced synthetic diamond machines in the world - are they using the Gemesis method, or the Apollo method? Also, as I understand it, Apollo's ultimate goal is to synthesize wafer sized diamonds to eventually replace silicon in computer processor manufacturing. Obviously this is a very long term goal if it's even true, but do you see them eventually selling jewelry quality diamonds on the open market as a form of bridge financing towards that end goal, or is that goal no longer in the cards?

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 18, 2011

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Bob Morales posted:

What was interesting is that she pulled another identical ring and showed us the difference between the two. They were the same ring, same cost, but the main stone was insanely brighter than the other. She started to go on about how that one was such a great deal and the stone was so nice, and that she's set that one aside for us if we wanted it.

So my question is, is this a common trick that they do? Did she have another ring setup with some dirt stuck in the bottom of the setting or something to make it look bad? The stone in the other ring looked so dirty and cloudy.

A lot of jewelers do is advertise for price points. They advertise a ring at $1,999 that isn't high quality, but the goal when you're in the store is to upsell the price shopper to something finer. The fact that the second ring was the same price as the first one puzzles me; there's likely something else going on here.

I'd call them up and ask for the details on those two diamonds. There is definitely a missing piece of the puzzle.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Shooting Blanks posted:

I have a loose stone (aquamarine) that I'd like to get set into a pendant. Unfortunately for me, it's not calibrated....

Any jeweler worth his salt will be able to hand fabricate a pendant basket for that stone. I don't think you'll have any trouble ordering up a custom sized piece.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Can you speak on the synthetic diamond industry a bit more? On page 3 you mentioned that DeBeers is now rumored to have the most advanced synthetic diamond machines in the world - are they using the Gemesis method, or the Apollo method?

Also, as I understand it, Apollo's ultimate goal is to synthesize wafer sized diamonds to eventually replace silicon in computer processor manufacturing.

DeBeers has a simple method for controlling the diamond business: They buy competition out, or change the rules so their competition can't make any money.

DeBeers has full production capabilities for synthetic gem diamonds in smaller sizes, and they have controlled the synthetic industrial diamond business since the 1960's. I understand the research into the diamond wafer is still proceeding, but have no idea on the current status.

There's a lot of intrigue and rumor in this business, but I wouldn't be surprised to someday find out that DeBeers owns both Gemesis and Apollo. ;-)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm interested in semi-irregular/nontraditional pearl necklaces. I think I'd like to commission a jeweler for a piece (or restring the pearls myself -- is that reasonable?).

I see a lot of inexpensive pearls, especially in irregular shapes, online: 15" of 5-7mm rice pearls for $3.68, 15.5" of 8-10mm keshi pearls for $5.88 (although with a minimum order), all of these, etc.

Are these legit? What will I get if I buy pearls like this? I have zero problem with cultured/farmed pearls, and I know they're not expecting top dollar for small, irregularly shaped pearls, but these deals still seem too good to be true.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
So I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend.

Problem is, she's a free spirit who despises diamonds, yellow gold, the color pink, and anything else that may be considered "mainstream." Her favorite colors are purple and black (honestly), so I was thinking of getting something like what was posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.turtleloveco.com/Blue_Sapphire_Solitaire_Engagement_Ring_p/ch-bss-r.htm

but replacing the sapphire with an amethyst of equal beauty. Now, should I worry about buying the stone first, or the band? Would it be a wise investment, or even possible, to sell the sapphire out of the ring as a loose stone? Also, what qualities of amethyst should I look for? The OP didn't list any defining characteristics for the semi-precious gems.

Lastly, does anyone have any online resources for buying loose amethysts?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
You're making this much more difficult than it needs to be. I'm sure they'll make the piece with an amethyst instead of a sapphire. Just call 'em up!

Edit: I would go with a piece of Amethyst mined in Arizona. The Arizona material has a mysterious look to it with a bit of fire hidden in the depth. It's our preferred Amethyst to use in custom pieces.

JohnnyRnR fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 20, 2011

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
drat, fortune has either smiled or poo poo upon me today.

I just got home to find out my girlfriend was watching a program about gems. She now says that while sapphire is her birthstone, she has sort of mixed feelings for it -- she dislikes the lighter colored ones, but loves the dark blue. As soon as I got home she rushed me to the computer to show me something called a moonstone, because she thinks it's awesome and her new favorite. Does anyone know anything about that? I couldn't find much jeweler opinions on the internet in my admittedly short Google scan.

Because she has such a fluid state of mind, I'm worried about getting her something that seems beautiful at the time. Perhaps it is best to go with the original stone, her birthstone, if only to have something that will be always associated with her.

Help me goons, I'm stupid and in love. :blush:

Also,

JohnnyRnR posted:

You're making this much more difficult than it needs to be. I'm sure they'll make the piece with an amethyst instead of a sapphire. Just call 'em up!

Good idea. If I decide to go with anything but a sapphire, I'll definitely contact them beforehand to see if they can add it. Mass-production has alienated me to the concept of customization.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I have a question about synthetic diamonds. I bought an engagement ring for my (now) wife and it contained 3 synthetic diamonds on it on a silver band. I didn't have a whole lot of money to spend and I ended up talking to the buyer and getting the ring for 300.

We took it to a jeweler and they were not able to tell the difference between the real diamond she had, and the synthetic ones. Are they really that hard to tell the difference from? I understand the diamond market is flooded right now, and most places won't even buy diamonds. I'm just curious if I "got a good deal." The important thing is she loves it. She knows it's not genuine. Despite being 2C+.

Also, what is the difference between Cubic Zirconian and synthetic diamonds?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Soulex posted:

I have a question about synthetic diamonds. I bought an engagement ring for my (now) wife and it contained 3 synthetic diamonds on it on a silver band. I didn't have a whole lot of money to spend and I ended up talking to the buyer and getting the ring for 300.

We took it to a jeweler and they were not able to tell the difference between the real diamond she had, and the synthetic ones. Are they really that hard to tell the difference from? I understand the diamond market is flooded right now, and most places won't even buy diamonds. I'm just curious if I "got a good deal." The important thing is she loves it. She knows it's not genuine. Despite being 2C+.

I can't speak to the price of what you have, or if you got a good deal, however about your fakes and real diamonds. Diamonds are a crystal composed of (ideally) nothing but carbon arranged nicely in a pattern. The Earth creates these with heat and pressure, or a lab creates them with heat and pressure. The end product is, as I understand it, pretty much entirely the same. Although I believe there are still a few tricks left to identifying if a diamond is fake or not, such as exposing it to ultraviolet light. I think the fakes still fluoresce, but maybe the industry has advanced to the point where that no longer happens.

As for Cubic Zirconian and Diamonds. While diamonds are a crystal lattic of just C (carbon) Zirconian is zirconium dioxide (ZrO2). An entirely different mineral. It just so happens that it looks similar to diamond, and was used before the technical challenges of making true carbon synthetic diamonds was achieved.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

Help me goons, I'm stupid and in love. :blush:

I can only give you the same advice I give every guy thinking of proposing. The ring is ultimately just a symbol. Buy her something pretty. If she complains: Dump her. ;-)

Soulex posted:

We took it to a jeweler and they were not able to tell the difference between the real diamond she had, and the synthetic ones. Are they really that hard to tell the difference from? I understand the diamond market is flooded right now, and most places won't even buy diamonds.

Currently they are nigh impossible to tell the difference between without some specialized tools. A synthetic diamond is a diamond (just one that was made in a lab instead of a rock).

A CZ, however, is not a diamond. There are many shady sellers online that sell CZ as "lab grown synthetic diamond" but that isn't true. CZ's have a lot of fire and sparkle, but are much softer and don't hold up over time.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Goodpancakes posted:

Although I believe there are still a few tricks left to identifying if a diamond is fake or not, such as exposing it to ultraviolet light. I think the fakes still fluoresce, but maybe the industry has advanced to the point where that no longer happens.

Most natural diamonds have some fluorescence.

Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009
First of all, thank you to all the contributors to this thread. It's been wonderful to read.

As for my question - I just got a job as a manufacturing jeweler's apprentice, yay!!! It's something I have been very interested in ever since I can remember. What general (or specific) advice would you give to a person just starting out in the industry?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
For any other business I would tell you to read, but so much of this business is never written down. Talk to the old guys. Listen when they talk and take it to heart. Never forget a story. The guys that have been rolling for 50 years have seen it all.

Once you've been in for a couple years don't be afraid to dabble in other areas. It's amazing how many different jewelry jobs there are.

It isn't unusual to hear a seventy year old guy say: "Well, first I was a bench jeweler and then I was a road salesman for a bit until my wife had a baby. I tried gem dealing going overseas once a month to buy in Sri Lanka and selling them in the states. I took the money I made there and bought a pawn shop, and then we got sick of that and bought a store in the Caribbean. Now I live in Iowa and just go to flea markets to find antique jewelry and flip it on eBay."

Edit: And congratulations on the job!

JohnnyRnR fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 21, 2011

Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009

JohnnyRnR posted:

For any other business I would tell you to read, but so much of this business is never written down. Talk to the old guys. Listen when they talk and take it to heart. Never forget a story. The guys that have been rolling for 50 years have seen it all.

Once you've been in for a couple years don't be afraid to dabble in other areas. It's amazing how many different jewelry jobs there are.

It isn't unusual to hear a seventy year old guy say: "Well, first I was a bench jeweler and then I was a road salesman for a bit until my wife had a baby. I tried gem dealing going overseas once a month to buy in Sri Lanka and selling them in the states. I took the money I made there and bought a pawn shop, and then we got sick of that and bought a store in the Caribbean. Now I live in Iowa and just go to flea markets to find antique jewelry and flip it on eBay."

Edit: And congratulations on the job!

Thanks a lot Johnny :) Your website is lovely by the way, I had a look earlier.

The broadness of the whole jewelry industry is one of the best parts, I always figured if I got bored manufacturing I could just branch off into something else. This thread is making me so excited about everything.

You're right on about the reading thing. So much of the information out there is conflicting and so many shops/dealers are dodgy which is unfortunate. I can't imagine being totally new to the whole world of jewelry and having to go pick out an engagement ring or something... I tell people not to even bother going to retail stores except to try things on and look. Always better to support a local business and get a real quality piece that will become a family heirloom for a third of the price you'd pay in a mall shop.

DataCloset1306A
Feb 12, 2005

Just like the tight ass of a young man, you must push through to get to the goodness inside
I make some Jewelry... like woven things and some stuff with sterling... but I'd like to get into metallurgy... Do you have any advice on how to get started? Can I just go to a Jeweler whose work I adore and beg to be taught? Perhaps promising years of slavery in exchange? Or do I have to go take classes at some ... school?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Good ol' fashion jewelry school. One of the highest rated that I know of is Revere Academy. http://www.revereacademy.com/classes/

Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009

DataCloset1306A posted:

I make some Jewelry... like woven things and some stuff with sterling... but I'd like to get into metallurgy... Do you have any advice on how to get started? Can I just go to a Jeweler whose work I adore and beg to be taught? Perhaps promising years of slavery in exchange? Or do I have to go take classes at some ... school?

That's what I did. The slavery/begging part I mean...

DataCloset1306A
Feb 12, 2005

Just like the tight ass of a young man, you must push through to get to the goodness inside

Myleslr posted:

That's what I did. The slavery/begging part I mean...

How long do you think is a good time to stay with one teacher? I tend to stay in one place for a year, sometimes 2. Is 2 years enough time to work with a teacher AND pay off my slavery, or should I be thinking more along 5 year schedules?

I'd much much much rather just find an artist I adore and work with him than go to a school.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Tonight I:

took this wax,

and this gold,

and put it in this machine,

with this fire,

and made this ring,

for this stone.

:coal:

The wax wasn't the finished version, I forgot to take a picture of it before it went into the plaster. The ring is only a few minutes after casting, with none of the finishing work done. From now, it will be another 1-2 weeks before the ring is completely finished. I love this process! This it the third custom ring I've been a part of making for myself, and the 6th piece of my jeweler's that I own. I can't even begin to say how exciting this is to see from start (a concept in my head) to finish (a piece of unique jewelry that will last a lifetime).

:toot:

Kalista fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 23, 2011

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones
My question isn't about jewelry per se, but it is about silver. Is there an easy way to tell if something is silver? The reason I'm asking is that I have an old silver-colored box and I want to know if it's actually silver or some other metal.

I took some silver polish to it to see if it made any difference on its color, and it seemed to shine up the dullness of the metal as well as remove some yellow-ish discoloration. On the inside of the box I can see some black spotting under the lining, but I'm no sure if it's tarnish or something else.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Kalista posted:

Awesome :toot:

That's excellent work. It's going to be a beautiful ring, and you'll always treasure it.

I do this every day, and I still find the process fascinating.

Monocular posted:

Silver

There are acid tests that most jewelers can do. Polishing it up doesn't mean much as silverplate will tarnish and need polishing as well. Are there any hallmarks on the bottom?

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones

JohnnyRnR posted:

That's excellent work. It's going to be a beautiful ring, and you'll always treasure it.

I do this every day, and I still find the process fascinating.

There are acid tests that most jewelers can do. Polishing it up doesn't mean much as silverplate will tarnish and need polishing as well. Are there any hallmarks on the bottom?

Not that I can find :/ The more I look at it the more I think it's probably just some other metal, maybe silver plating at best.

Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009

DataCloset1306A posted:

How long do you think is a good time to stay with one teacher? I tend to stay in one place for a year, sometimes 2. Is 2 years enough time to work with a teacher AND pay off my slavery, or should I be thinking more along 5 year schedules?

I'd much much much rather just find an artist I adore and work with him than go to a school.

Well, in Australia, tradespeople can take on apprentices to teach them their trades (electricians, bakers, plumbers, builders etc Blue collar jobs basically). Apprentices are usually younger kids just out of school, they are paid for their work but it's at a reduced rate, so it's not the same thing you'd get for just working a regular job. The tradeoff for lower pay is that you learn the skills for your job. I think of it as almost being paid to go to "class" to learn about jewelry.

Anyway, different trade apprenticeships go for different amounts of time. Mine, in manufacturing goes for 4 years.

So I'm guessing you want to think in terms of 4-5 years to learn the trade. Then again, people learn at different speeds and in such a broad industry there is always going to be something new.

I don't know if where your from does anything similar to an apprenticeship? If it does, they are pretty awesome.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm interested in semi-irregular/nontraditional pearl necklaces. I think I'd like to commission a jeweler for a piece (or restring the pearls myself -- is that reasonable?).

I see a lot of inexpensive pearls, especially in irregular shapes, online: 15" of 5-7mm rice pearls for $3.68, 15.5" of 8-10mm keshi pearls for $5.88 (although with a minimum order), all of these, etc.

Are these legit? What will I get if I buy pearls like this? I have zero problem with cultured/farmed pearls, and I know they're not expecting top dollar for small, irregularly shaped pearls, but these deals still seem too good to be true.

That does seem pretty cheap - even if it is bought in bulk. Compare with the prices on etsy for strands by searching in the supplies sections.

Look into the coloured keshi pearls too as they can look pretty nice - especially the light blue ones. (http://www.gennadelaney.com/shop/clearance-stock/pearl-collections/cat_10.html - some of my partners work with them)

BOOMAN
Dec 4, 2007

Now I am leaving for no rason
I am in the market for an engagement ring and will be spending around $10,000us. I was initially going through a shop however now I am using a diamond broker. Her prices are much better ie I was offered a .79 D, ex,ex,ex. and she has found me a 90.e ex ex ex for the same price($7500). My concern is the jeweler could pull a switch with another diamond, do you have any tips for making sure this does not happen and dealing with brokers. Its so drat intimidating giving this much cash to a stranger based on trust.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Wow that is a lot of money. Just out of curiosity, how did you settle on spending that much?

On jewelers, do your homework on them and don't go to anyone that you can't find strong recommendations for. A person's reputation in the business should, in theory, speak for itself. Same for brokers.

BOOMAN
Dec 4, 2007

Now I am leaving for no rason

Soulex posted:

Dude black dimonds are cheap go to Singapore! they look great and are really uniqe (i will be getting these on my wedding ring)

$4300 I inherited from a family member
$700 from an iphone application me and a friend made and
$5000 of my own cash.

Looking fro a 80-1ct diamond between a d and e all excellent(cut,clarity ect)
on a platinum ring. also it will have a hidden diamond on the inside of it(like hearts on fire) but it will be within the engraving(don't steal my cool idea!)
Platinum is the choice because she said she has all ways wanted something in platinum but it costs too much.

BOOMAN fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 6, 2011

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

BOOMAN posted:

I am in the market for an engagement ring and will be spending around $10,000us. I was initially going through a shop however now I am using a diamond broker. Her prices are much better ie I was offered a .79 D, ex,ex,ex. and she has found me a 90.e ex ex ex for the same price($7500). My concern is the jeweler could pull a switch with another diamond, do you have any tips for making sure this does not happen and dealing with brokers. Its so drat intimidating giving this much cash to a stranger based on trust.

Those numbers are really hard to qualify without knowing the clarity as well. Also, how is the diamond graded? By the broker or by a lab? If by a lab, then WHICH lab as they all vary widely in accuracy and consistency (and thus price).

Reputation is everything, and trust is paramount. If you don't trust the guy then do not buy a diamond from him. You could have some protection by having the stone inspected by a third party, and then handing over the check when your appraiser says things are legit.

How did you find this broker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?
Would a piece such as this one http://www.moissaniteco.com/square-brilliant-moissanite-engagement-ring-39ct-14k-wy-p-4967.html in platinum be worthwhile for purchasing as an engagement ring? My sister-in-law was a well-respected and talented bench jeweler (she's on hiatus from the business right now) and didn't think well of moissanite. She said that it had a greenish tint and that diamonds were far better stones in every way. I'd prefer moissanite over a diamond any day though but don't want to get ripped off.

• Locked thread