Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doddery Meerkat
Aug 6, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jagershot posted:

I have a question. I know you said stay away from mall Jewelers, but does Macy's count in that group? I was looking at their wares last night, and all of their jewelery is 50% off or more right now. It seemed okay, but I dont' really know what I'm looking at.

Macy's is an excellent example where the store marks up some item an insane percentage so they can have it on "sale" for 50-75% off. Last time I was there I saw loops of sterling silver for like 80 bucks regular price (on SALE! for 20!) for what I imagine is like 1-2 dollars of metal.

I've never not seen Macy's jewelery on sale. If it's not on sale it's because they just lowered their "base" price, like I said, many places don't really have sales, they just play with the numbers to make it seem like you are getting a deal.

Now one place I have heard of being decent that's a chain is Costco. Not that you are going to get amazing diamonds there, but you'll be getting the things the mall stores buy (they've even been compared with tiffany quality, which of course isn't saying much) without their markup.

Ah found the article : http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Moms/story?id=1197202

tldr, you can find something that would cost 16k at tiff for 6 k at costco (assuming similar quality).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread