Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Aside from not tarnishing, is there an actual advantage to platinum over silver that justifies the markup (aside from rarity, obviously)? It seems to hold lustre worse than silver, from personal experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
A brief derail away from gemstones, if you'll permit me: What are the best methods of darkening or artificially tarnishing sterling silver?

My favorite piece of jewelry is a fairly minimalist blackened ring (this one) but as you'd expect while the casting is unchanging the tint rubs off over time due to water and wear. I was going to muck around with doing a homestyle application but the internet is awash with suggestions of different compounds and I don't know what procedure professionals actually use to make it lasting or only apply to specific parts of the metal in specific degrees.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 15, 2011

• Locked thread