Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaughtByTheRiver
Aug 10, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've recently been looking at engagement/wedding rings and learning about diamonds so I know what to look out for. I'm going to buy a loose center diamond online and my boyfriend (when the time comes) will buy the setting and wedding band I've chosen. This will ensure that I get the center stone I want and it lessens the financial burden on him (which helps me not feel guilty about my request). We've also somewhat searched for a wedding band for him.

I'll be looking for a 1ct radiant cut diamond, VS2 clarity or better, G color or better, LW ratio <1.05, no fluorescence with a Very Good or better rating on cut, polish and symmetry, and a GIA certification. I'll be trying my best to buy conflict-free/Canadian. Based on the research I've done so far, I think I should expect to spend about $3500-$5500 for the loose center stone, give or take depending on the combination of variables.

My questions regarding diamonds are these:

1) What are the ideal table and depth percentages that will maximize brilliance and the appearance of size of a square radiant cut? I've read several different opinions on this ranging from "Depth 64-76.5%, Table 62-76%" equating a rating of "Excellent", to "Depth 50-65.9%, Table 55-69%" for the same rating. Is this even something I should be worrying about?

2) Is it bad for a stone to have a girdle that is "thick to extremely thick" or "thin to extremely thin"? What is the ideal here? Does a too large or too slim girdle effect light dispersion or is this more a concern when it comes to setting the diamond? Again, is this something I should even worry about?

3) Would I be better off looking for a 0.90ct diamond with the same specifications? Would it look like 1ct, is there even much of a visual size difference? I would be okay with a 0.90ct diamond if it was going to save me a little money and still look like a 1ct stone.

4) I've heard rumors that some radiant diamonds are actually a "princess with the corners cut off" that are labeled as a radiant because then the seller can charge more for the stone. I know the basic differences between a radiant and princess cut (radiant has facets like a round brilliant and princess has linear facets that form an X appearance). Since most online websites don't provide actual pictures of the exact stones they offer, is there any other way to tell if a radiant is a true radiant and not a rebadged princess cut? Or should I just look for a GIA certificate that states the stone is a "cut-cornered modified brilliant" to be sure I'm getting a true radiant?

I have tried looking in jewelry stores for a radiant cut but it appears that virtually no one carries them in-house, they would have to be special ordered in for me to choose from. And it appears to be cheaper to buy loose online than in a jewelry store.

With regards to a men's wedding ring...

My boyfriend wants a tungsten ring with a rounded edge and some small channel set sapphires or aquamarine stones along the top (~8-10 stones). I can't find this anywhere.

1) Is tungsten not easily set with stones other than diamonds (the only thing I've found so far)? Would it be possible to have a ring specially made that would have the sapphire or aquamarine that he likes? Who would I ask about this? How much can I expect to pay for a custom tungsten ring with gemstones?

2) I see that titanium is very similar to tungsten and just a little bit cheaper. Are there any major benefits of one versus the other?

I know it sounds like I'm taking all the romance out of the engagement, but we're both very practical people and we don't want to rush headlong into a purchase without being fully informed, only to find out later that we'd been sucker-punched.

I see the purchase of these rings as both a life investment and a monetary investment, so I want to be sure that I'm getting the best quality for the money. And I don't want to have any regrets that one of us didn't get what we truly wanted.

If you can't answer all of these questions, I understand. :) Thanks for posting this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread