Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

eXile posted:

I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread but didn't see much of an elaboration - what's your opinion on moissanite? Is it a viable alternative to diamond, to the naked eye?

Since it's not graded like a diamond is, how does one buy it and make sure they're getting a good quality gem?

My opinion is that of someone who has been wearing moissanite for several years now. My moissanite ring is wonderful. It's 1.5 carats, and I love the size, and love that there's no worry of "conflict diamonds," and love the fact that my husband didn't spend a gazillion dollars to get me a ring of that size. It's sparkly and lovely and if I don't say it was moissanite, everyone assumes it's diamond. But I have no problem explaining what it really is, since I dig moissanite so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

loatisaf posted:

I'm currently looking for an engagement ring. I've talked it over with her, and we're leaning more towards a ring with man-made diamonds, partially because of cost, but more because the :science: involved is fascinating.
Unfortunately, it's been difficult to find impartial information, because it seems every other piece of info we find is something along the lines of "if you don't spend $20,000, you're horrible scum, etc.."

One place we've found that has some pretty nice designs is http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/, but I'd like to hear from other people that have looked into rings with man-made gems, and what their experiences were.

Have you considered moissanite? Reasonable price, gorgeous fire in the stone, and definitely fits the bill for :science:. I personally adore my moissanite engagement ring and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
^^^^^ Not a jeweler, but I can answer a couple of your questions.

Yes, if it says they're a 1 ct pair, it's .5 per stud. Generally it says something like 1 ct total weight or something like that.

I was told by the jeweler who resized my engagement ring that with larger stones, you want a setting with more prongs so that you have a lot less of a chance of losing the stone, especially if you're using a metal like white gold that isn't as hard as platinum. Maybe that's not totally right but it did make sense to me. My 1.5 ct round cut is in a setting with 6 prongs.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I honestly don't see any greenish tint on my moissanite ring at all, even next to my wedding band, which has small diamonds set in it. I also think the "diamonds are better in every way" part is really subjective. What I like better about my moissanite, a diamond aficionado might not and vice-versa.

• Locked thread