Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
On the topic of mail jewelry:

Making your own rings is really doing it the hard way, unless you're doing a lot of wire work and beading on your own. There's a website called The Ring Lord (google it) that has good prices and a scary huge selection, and their price on machine-cut rings isn't much higher than what I've seen for raw wire. Mind you I haven't purchased from them in years so I might be a little off about that.

@Cat Breath: In my experience aviation snips are annoying because they deform the rings. If you're ever looking for something else you should look into some Knipex-brand piano wire cutters, they make very clean cuts and since they're designed for piano wire they go through spring steel like it's nothing. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
As far as tungsten and titanium go, they're very very different materials.

Titanium is an elemental metal that is extremely hard to work with compared to other metals. That being said, it's lightweight, has a nice dark luster to it, and can be worked into a variety of shapes.

"Tungsten," on the other hand, refers to tungsten carbide, which is a compound of tungsten and carbon. It has no metallic properties and behaves like a very rigid, very hard stone. It's used for drill bits that are meant to cut through hard rocks repeatedly without dulling. I didn't even know you could set stones in it (though I am not a jeweler). It has a dark, lustrous shine, but it's more like polished silicon or hematite, not the bright luster of a pure metal.

From what I'm seeing, tungsten carbide and titanium look almost identical in online pictures, though in average lighting conditions a tungsten carbide ring will look less "reflective" than a titanium ring.

This is the most impressive titanium ring I've seen and it's a shame that the raw material used to make them isn't made anymore.

• Locked thread