Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
On the Mohs scale of hardness, how soft is too soft for a ring that will be worn a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

Is africagems.com a fairly reputable site? I was looking at their alexandrite, and it's cheaper than I expected it to be, based on the description in the OP. Could it be cheaper because it doesn't have the green to red color change?

Sorry if it's a dumb question. I'm still really new to gems in general, and I'm never sure about whether or not to trust websites.

uberwekkness fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 22, 2010

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

Reene posted:

I've been looking around lately for a good source of loose synthetic sapphires that come in nice shades of green and I cannot seem to find anything that looks both reputable and actually has sapphires in green. Does anyone have any recommendations for a seller?

This is from a website I've been planning on buying from for a long while
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/newsearchresults.aspx

But yeah, they are more of a pine needle green. Perfect for Christmas?

(If the link doesn't work, use advanced search, and for color, select "unique". Green will be on the second list.)

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

jomiel posted:

We bought my sapphire ring from thenaturalsapphirecompany.com, and searching on their site definitely allows you to get a palladium setting and a trillion stone. I think the store was rated okay in this thread, but you can at least get some ideas about pricing through their site and base your search from there.

Man, sorry that this is late, but seconding this. My engagement/wedding ring came from there and it's lovely, and according to my husband, they were great to work with.

• Locked thread