Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
What are the price thresholds between entry level, mid grade, and fine jewelry? I'm looking around and with a budget of $300-$600 for a ring or a necklace with one gem and little tiny diamonds around it. Is this price level something that I can feel good about spending that will last? Is it better to save up for the $1500-$3000 level stuff that will be around forever and hold it's value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

JohnnyRnR posted:

That's a constant question we get. Should I spend the extra money on better construction, etc? It really depends on the individual piece. Even a less expensive piece can be rebuilt in case of damage provided that it was built well at first.

I know that isn't much help, but it's really hard to advise you without knowing what you're buying.

I was looking at building a custom ring, the center stone would be a pink heart shaped stone. The local jeweler has two options, pink tourmaline ($100-$600) and pink sapphire ($900-$1,300). The jeweler told me the tourmaline is much cheaper, but also softer. This is going to be a wear everyday ring, and am wondering just how much better the sapphire is in terms of durability and practicality in the event of repair.

• Locked thread