Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009
First of all, thank you to all the contributors to this thread. It's been wonderful to read.

As for my question - I just got a job as a manufacturing jeweler's apprentice, yay!!! It's something I have been very interested in ever since I can remember. What general (or specific) advice would you give to a person just starting out in the industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009

JohnnyRnR posted:

For any other business I would tell you to read, but so much of this business is never written down. Talk to the old guys. Listen when they talk and take it to heart. Never forget a story. The guys that have been rolling for 50 years have seen it all.

Once you've been in for a couple years don't be afraid to dabble in other areas. It's amazing how many different jewelry jobs there are.

It isn't unusual to hear a seventy year old guy say: "Well, first I was a bench jeweler and then I was a road salesman for a bit until my wife had a baby. I tried gem dealing going overseas once a month to buy in Sri Lanka and selling them in the states. I took the money I made there and bought a pawn shop, and then we got sick of that and bought a store in the Caribbean. Now I live in Iowa and just go to flea markets to find antique jewelry and flip it on eBay."

Edit: And congratulations on the job!

Thanks a lot Johnny :) Your website is lovely by the way, I had a look earlier.

The broadness of the whole jewelry industry is one of the best parts, I always figured if I got bored manufacturing I could just branch off into something else. This thread is making me so excited about everything.

You're right on about the reading thing. So much of the information out there is conflicting and so many shops/dealers are dodgy which is unfortunate. I can't imagine being totally new to the whole world of jewelry and having to go pick out an engagement ring or something... I tell people not to even bother going to retail stores except to try things on and look. Always better to support a local business and get a real quality piece that will become a family heirloom for a third of the price you'd pay in a mall shop.

Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009

DataCloset1306A posted:

I make some Jewelry... like woven things and some stuff with sterling... but I'd like to get into metallurgy... Do you have any advice on how to get started? Can I just go to a Jeweler whose work I adore and beg to be taught? Perhaps promising years of slavery in exchange? Or do I have to go take classes at some ... school?

That's what I did. The slavery/begging part I mean...

Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009

DataCloset1306A posted:

How long do you think is a good time to stay with one teacher? I tend to stay in one place for a year, sometimes 2. Is 2 years enough time to work with a teacher AND pay off my slavery, or should I be thinking more along 5 year schedules?

I'd much much much rather just find an artist I adore and work with him than go to a school.

Well, in Australia, tradespeople can take on apprentices to teach them their trades (electricians, bakers, plumbers, builders etc Blue collar jobs basically). Apprentices are usually younger kids just out of school, they are paid for their work but it's at a reduced rate, so it's not the same thing you'd get for just working a regular job. The tradeoff for lower pay is that you learn the skills for your job. I think of it as almost being paid to go to "class" to learn about jewelry.

Anyway, different trade apprenticeships go for different amounts of time. Mine, in manufacturing goes for 4 years.

So I'm guessing you want to think in terms of 4-5 years to learn the trade. Then again, people learn at different speeds and in such a broad industry there is always going to be something new.

I don't know if where your from does anything similar to an apprenticeship? If it does, they are pretty awesome.

Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009

Fire In The Disco posted:

I honestly don't see any greenish tint on my moissanite ring at all, even next to my wedding band, which has small diamonds set in it. I also think the "diamonds are better in every way" part is really subjective. What I like better about my moissanite, a diamond aficionado might not and vice-versa.

I have moissanites as sidestones to my sapphire engagement ring and I don't see any green at all. Apparently if you expose them to heat they will turn green so don't stick your hand in a fire I guess.

Glad to see this thread appears to be kicking along still. Kalista your ring turned out gorgeous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009
Really happy to see this thread again.

So I haven't been fired from my job yet, and a couple days ago I finished my probation period so I am officially a jeweller's apprentice!!! I'm pretty good too (as far as I can tell, my boss said I am better than he was when he first started but I don't know if he's just being nice or not. :P) and I get to do all the jobs for his friends/family that they'd get a discount on/for free.... That's right, you don't pay full price and I butcher your stuff hahahah!

Working on a silver wedding band (ick lol) with 1mm yellow gold strips on each side right now, and almost finished on some settings for 2 trilliant cut stones for earrings. Stupid triangles. *mutter*

We do pretty much everything by hand, from designing since we only do custom pieces, to melting the metals down to actually making the jewellery to polishing it etc.. But one thing we don't do in my shop is wax casting so I am super interested in everything to do with it. If someone would explain in basic steps how the process works I'd love them forever. All I know is

1. Carve something out of wax!!....
2. Create some kind of mold??....
3. Beautiful jewellery!!!

• Locked thread