Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
I love this thread. I'm a big fan of nontraditional rings and this opened my eyes up to so many more options.
I really like the jewelry offered by this Etsy seller: Metamprphosis Jewelry
I guess it's hard to judge without seeing the work in person but I would do heinous things to buy the planets/meteorite ring they have. I worked at an astronomy shop & love space/science, and I think the ring is beautiful. Would anyone be able to tell me if their cost, $3600, seems like a fair price for it? I also want this, but that's a hefty price tag! I've never heard of chrysocolla but from the photos it seems super pretty. I much prefer supporting small businesses/jewelers than a mall or chain.. I have a friend who has a metric gently caress-ton of rings and she got most of them from some gem network TV that went off-air or the mall/Kmart. Her latest "steal" was a ring marked down to $100 from "$500" and she was SO PROUD of her amazing steal..I don't have the heart to show her why she's wasted thousands of dollars on costume-quality jewelry, but what is a tactful way to point out that hey, it's not actually a "deal"? She gets offended very easily and would be butthurt if I straight up said "Read these articles/links from professionals in the business as to why all that jewelry you're insuring isn't worth jack poo poo." Maybe if I can educate her a bit she'll stop scouring the mall for "super deals" on generic jewelry...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

JohnnyRnR posted:

Well, everything has its place. A lot of people buy costume jewelry to constantly have a revolving stream of fun fashion items. My mother-in-law buys a lot of low priced jewelry, and it's her entertainment. I've actually discouraged her from moving up to the finer pieces because buying those at her current rate would bankrupt her quickly.
I figure if she is happy then I'm not too worried about it, I just want to save her future embarrassment/save her money. She insists these Kmart rings are truly worth the inflated price she pays and I've had trouble explaining to her that no..your "$500" ring is probably not worth $50 and I could direct her to much higher quality stuff for an affordable price. She grew up in a lower-middle class house and she really wants to live the high life (she works very hard & isn't a spoiled 'pay for me' brat) but when she shows off her "real" jewelry it is sometimes obvious that they aren't worth more than the box they came in and it might embarrass her if someone outright pointed out that her "fine jewelry" is not as "fine" as she thinks. I'd love to show her some nice handcrafted work, I think she would love it, but it would be great if I could educate her on why those pieces are better than Kmart/mall pieces.

I know for me I purposely don't have super nice rings because I'm rough with my hands and the stones I like (eg: opal) are not very strong. I really love the look of meteorite, but I don't recall if it was talked about much here..what are the costs of meteorite rings based on and is it really a unique material or is it just "another form of iron they labeled as cool & jacked up the price on" (as a friend put it)?

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
I have a very dumb question, er two questions, I need to ask because I'm having a debate about it with my boyfriend and I don't agree with him. He believes gold rings, particularly 14k and above, are too weak and malleable to wear for long periods of time or everyday use. He also believes that rings with stones that protrude and are secured in place by prongs are all going to snap off and break under everyday wear. I cannot seem to convince him that not all prong-set jewels are going to "just pop off" as he puts it and that gold rings can be worn just fine every day under normal wear otherwise why would so many people buy them as wedding and engagement rings? I am just asking to find out the truth about these little things--is a say 24k or 14k gold ring too malleable to wear every day (obviously circumstances are different for everyone but I mean general wear) and are stones set protruding out from the ring too weak to withstand long term wear? Thanks in advance guys, I love this thread, we're currently looking for engagement rings and I'm super excited about it. <3

• Locked thread