Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
What's the deal with so-called "Fool's Gold"? I remember, ages and ages ago (probably around 20 years if not more) being a kid in a jewelry shop of some sort that had a huge (size of a cinder/breeze block) chunk of it on one of those lighted display stands (The kind that has about $20 worth of parts in it yet costs $400 if you want one for your awesome thing). I assumed since it was "Fool's Gold" that it was more-or-less worthless, but the jeweler told me it was worth quite a bit of money. Does it have legitimate uses in the jewelery trade?

Also, my favorite part of Ask/Tell threads are the wacky stories. What's the worst case you've seen of disparity between customer belief and actual value? i.e. someone has a Rolex he wants to sell for $1,000 or whatever, and once you look at it you find out it's the sort of fake you buy from a man with a binder on the streets of New York City for $40, and you'd give him $10 for it. That sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Don't buy a Yachtmaster. It's hideous and stupid. You'll "impress" all the wrong people, and the ones in the know will think you're a gigantic twat. If it must be a Rolex, get a Submariner or the GMT IIc, to show that you actually have some class to go along with your fat wallet.

If you want something expensive and classy, get a Patek Phillipe.

Reminds me of the old joke about the whorehouse madam in Vietnam who calls the American military base to send some MPs to come collect a fighter pilot who's drunken and making a scene. The reply comes from the base: "OK, sure. Wait, how do you know he's a fighter pilot?" She responds "Great big watch, little tiny dick, try to pay with charge card!"

• Locked thread