Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
:drat:

Wow. Is there any way to buy stones wholesale without that massive markup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

JohnnyRnR posted:

It's kind of a fun academic question - but how much markup would you be happy paying?

Well as little as possible without having to go to Antwerp. Is there some channel that only jewelry stores can access?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

JohnnyRnR posted:

I can give examples if you're curious.

I'd be interested in knowing it turned out.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I'm not sure where they are getting their lab created sapphires, but the ones I can source are certainly not that cheap for that size. Who knows maybe they get a massive bulk discount? Also the setting in those pictures is very poorly done :colbert:. To be honest even trained gemologists I doubt could say for certain if anything is wrong with it unless the stone is in front of them.

Sapphire is dirt cheap in bulk. Just look at the giant boules made for apple. Maybe that process (Czochralski?) can't be used for gem grade stuff. But it works for semiconductor grade sapphire :goleft:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Rurutia posted:

Moissanite isn't a lab made diamond. It's lab made, whit-ish, and has similar qualities to diamond.

its silicon carbide

• Locked thread