Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

I have been looking for some color change gems to purchase from online sellers and I was hoping I can get some advice on what to look for when I purchase one.

I also have a color change gem that I am interested in purchasing and I wondering if any of the jewelry gurus here can comment on it. I'm a little worried that it might be a little dark. Is it okay to PM the link? I heard a lot of people avoid doing that so others won't buy the gem before the poster get a chance to.

Also, I have an idea for a custom wedding band design that I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in working with me to create it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Shbobdb posted:

Does the Crucible in the Bay Area have a goon discount? Looks like a sweet spot and my wife and I would love to learn to make some jewelry there. Or, you know, other places in the Bay area.

I thought the Crucible was expensive for the Bay Area. I was looking at Silvera Jewelry School instead. Does anyone have any comments about these two jewelry schools?

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

goodness posted:

Cool thread! I have been working on getting into gemstone collecting. Really love anything tourmaline; tanzanite and fluorite are close runner ups.

Check this out this pendant I got from a buddy who is a wire wrapper

14k gold with silver accents
Cruzeiro Mine tourmaline
3x Neon blue apatites
7x amethyst

This piece is amazing! I love the eye imagery of the pendant. Is there a name for that? Where can I find more pieces like this?

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

I've been thinking about starting to facet or cut rough stones as a hobby soon. I am in the Bay Area and I was thinking about going to the Mineral & Gem Society of Castro Valley workshop or the San Francisco Gem & Mineral Society to see if this is something I can do long term before buying the equipment.

Does anyone have any recommendations about what else I should do if I wanted to start out as an amateur lapidary?

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Best thing you can do is take a class to see if you like it, either faceting or cabbing whichever seems to be most interesting to you. Once that's out of the way you'll have an idea of the process, and then can buy tools based on your budget and what you want to accomplish. After 7 months of doing it so far, there's no turning back :D it's really, really satisfying taking rough to a finished stone and even more so when you see it in jewellery.

I'm having trouble finding an actual class-but the societies I found have open workshop hours. Is there anywhere I should check for classes? Maybe some key terms would help my Google searching.
My work involves so much polishing that I figured I might as well use it to create something beautiful~ :syoon:

Xun posted:

I'm not sure what the gem society has for sale or includes with their classes, but if they want you to bring your own quartz rough is a really good starting material! Synthetic is even better because it's cheaper and can come in quite bright colors. It is a lot harder to find though, at least for me. I personally don't like faceting glass, although my only attempt has been with some uranium glass and having it fall apart on me before I even got done cutting it with a gem saw.

That's an awesome tip! It's good to know that quartz can be a good starter stone.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I think I just searched faceting classes? I forget how I found them, sorry!

My humble suggestion is beryl or garnet to start with, mostly because they polish way easier than quartz. If you're interested and don't mind dropping a couple bucks this book will be your manual https://www.amazon.com/Amateur-Gems...9S36A3W86VDCK2F I met the author at Tucson this year and he is a wonderful man who really just wanted people to learn proper methods, since the old books are full of improper ones (and some faceting designs that are impossible).

What sort of polishing work do you do now? Knowing how metal polished from making jewellery helped a ton when seeing whether or not my polish was good cutting stones.

That's OK. It actually helped!

I'll look into getting that book!

I have polished metals, ceramics, and ceramic/metal composites. I figured since I had so much experience with polishing and I liked gems so much, I should try to combine them by looking into faceting.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

JohnnyRnR posted:

Wanted to share something special (and not for sale) that you don't get to see every day.

This is a Chrome Sphene from Skardu, Pakistan. It is the finest example of chromium containing sphene that I've ever seen. Most sphene has a yellowish-green, yellow, or orange note. But in this one the green is pure, and under incandescent or candle light a strong RED pops out of any reflected light. It's amazing. It is the coolest thing to wear at night.

This type of material comes from a single mine high up in the mountings. Conditions are extremely inhospitable so it is only able to run for a couple months per year. But you can see why they still make the effort.

I can't see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Good god! That's super cool! :sparkles:

• Locked thread