Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoliSciGirl
Feb 22, 2010

yt2005 posted:

Well, it seems that a lot of people are continuing to ask about watches (and why not?) so I'll chime in with another watch question I had. My wife bought me a Stührling watch for my birthday this year, which promptly broke as soon as I pushed in the pin to start the watch moving after setting the time. She sent it back for a refund, and I wouldn't have minded her buying me another one, except for the fact that my brother also has a Stührling, and his broke after about 7 months. So, two questions:

1. Does Stührling just make really shoddy watches, or was it just weird luck that the only two watches of theirs I've ever seen broke?
2. Given the clear wealth of information available in your brains, and the clear lack of said information in mine, could you make a brief list of watch brands/models we should be considering/staying away from for different price ranges? Obviously tastes and styles differ, but I'm sure there's a couple of examples of watches and watch brands to universally stay away from or strongly consider.
My husband bought me a Stuhrling a few years ago off of overstock.com and the website said it was discounted about 80%. The watch was one of the ugliest things I have ever seen in my life and I told him to send it back because I would never wear it. I'm not being a snob, just didn't want the hubby wasting our moolah. I looked up the brand online and almost all of them were discounted and all of them were ungodly ugly. Mine was orange and green with a moon and stars on it (not a good choice for a girl). Maybe one of the reasons they are discounted, especially the womens watches, are because they are ugly? But everybody is different, maybe some people love them.

edit: I looked the watches up again and some of them aren't too bad. Maybe they have a new designer, but I still wouldn't buy one because it's weird that all of them have a huge discount.

PoliSciGirl fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoliSciGirl
Feb 22, 2010
I ordered my husband's wedding ring from eBay. The only reason I did it was because the ring in stores was 900+. The ring on eBay was 200 with engraving. So, I thought it was worth the risk. Well, it turned out great. Though I wouldn't expect this from all eBay sellers.

• Locked thread