Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cait
Aug 10, 2010

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

quote:

Alexandrite - The color changing stone. This cost more than anything, including diamond, by a longshot. It starts at about $16,000 a carat for smaller stones, so don't worry because you'll never see one.

I bought one off eBay for $230 USD, it's about the size of ladybug and it colour changes from green to a rosy purple.
They don't actually cost that much.

The cost is usually involved in the type and extremity of the colour change.
A sky blue/bright red alexandrite stone would be worth a lot more than a green/purple stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cait
Aug 10, 2010

Cosinetta posted:

I would suggest you to do a bit more research into it. Not saying you definitely got scammed, but alexandrite with any good color change is normally about 10,000$/carat. You probably got a synthetic.

It has a very nice colour change, so even if it's a synthetic, I still got a great colour changing stone.
(Seriously, it looks like the crystal bat jewels from Dark Crystal it its candlelight change)

Cait
Aug 10, 2010

Cosinetta posted:

Well if you don't mind it being synthetic, good for you! I always thought natural stones were overrated (and the conditions for mining them are not the greatest either). Getting a natural alexandrite would be ridiculous in my opinion, especially with the gorgeous synthetic ones on the market.

I did look at a natural alexandrite from a private collection in Wellington (where I live) and it was being offered at $40,000. Not thanks.
I have a synthetic ruby ring the size of my thumbnail that looks amazing (and cost about a tenth of the real deal) - same size and cut as this smoky quartz of mine:
I'm all for synthetic - except where diamonds are concerned.

Cait
Aug 10, 2010

Giant Isopod posted:

Why?

Why? Because I'm inconsistent with my snobbery, that's why.

• Locked thread