Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoliticalMonster
Nov 5, 2010
Anyone know anything about Brilliant Earth?

Any good advice on getting a conflict-free diamond?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoliticalMonster
Nov 5, 2010

JohnnyRnR posted:

BE is a company. They use the ethical angle as their unique point of differentiation. There are a few other players in that sector and most of their marketing revolves around a basic principle of "more ethical than the next guy." Some people love it - I see it as crass. They're essentially using dead bodies as a prop to sell diamonds.

A conflict diamond is defined as a diamond not sold through the approved channels; "the diamond pipeline" as we call it. By law, rough diamonds without a Kimberly Process certificate are classified as blood diamonds. Pick a rough diamond up off the ground while vacationing in Africa and the authorities would seize it as an "unauthorized diamond."

The Kimberley Process is solely for the purposes of restricting supply, and even the founder left the organization in disgust. The standard industry rule is that 99.9% of all diamonds in the world are conflict free. Botswana, Canada, Australia, Russia, South Africa, etc: These countries are all major diamond producers without internal conflict

I was a big supporter of Canadian diamonds until uncovering impropriety in their assurance system. I quit selling them when I couldn't guarantee that the diamond was actually Canadian.
Wow thanks, I had no idea there was so much corruption. Makes sense though.

EDIT: As a follow up, do most jewelers keep track of the origins of their diamonds? Does that come on a gemological report?

PoliticalMonster fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 8, 2010

PoliticalMonster
Nov 5, 2010
Speaking of gem labs, is the Asian Institute of Gemological Sciences considered to be a reputable lab for certifying stones?

Who do you recommend for that?

PoliticalMonster
Nov 5, 2010
Thanks JohnnyRnR! You've been extremely helpful!

This thread is a little light on the pictures, so I figured I'd post the ring I just proposed with and give some info on what I did to get it.

This is a 1.18ct Alexandrite set in a 14kt White Gold setting which is inlaid with moissanite. I bought the ring and gem separately (online) then found a good local jewelry who set them. You can save some money when doing this, but you do need to be very careful and put a lot of work into the research.

For anyone thinking of getting a Moissanite Co. setting, keep in mind that their 14kt gold is rhodium plated, which means it'll have to be replated if you resize or do any soldering on it. Not a bad thing necessarily but adds a little to the cost.

One thing I learned, go see all the gems you can in person! Buying online is super hard because jewelry, and gems specifically, really can't be done justice by photos. Also, Alexandrite is a real pain to photograph.

PoliticalMonster
Nov 5, 2010
Yup she said yes! Unfortunately she isn't super into science, but I enjoy thinking about it. :science:

• Locked thread