Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Is 2 weeks to have a ring resized a bit excessive? When I dropped it off the jeweler said it'd be 7-10 days because he didn't have a piece of gold big enough and had to order some.

I really don't want to bug the guy because I know some people don't work well when bothered, and from what I've read this ring doesn't sound very easy to size. 3/8" band,+1.5 ring size, bezel setting, and real emeralds.

e: Istopped in today. He sent it out to be laser welded as to not gently caress up the emeralds with heat. So I'm alright with that. I can't wait to get it back though.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

How difficult would it be to as 1.5" to this bracelet? The guy who has it is selling it for a hair under scrap price and I was giving serious thought to picking it up till I found out it's only 7.5" and I need a 9".

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

What type of texture options are there for gold? There's a diamond horseshoe ring I've had on my watch list for 4 months now and it hasn't sold yet. 1.2 carats, 15ish grams, I'm thinking about shooting the guy an offer on it. The only thing stopping me is the sides are nuggeted and I hate nugget rings.

If I were to pull the trigger on this what could I have done to the sides? I know I could have a jeweler file the nuggets off, but would smooth be my only option? Keeping the nuggets and getting diamonds set in them did cross my mind, but I think I'm gonna chill on that idea.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I'd probably wear that white agate ring. Here's the only two pieces of jewelry I currently own. Ring wise I like the older style stuff and have to keep an eye on the used market until something I like pops up. The bracelet I had made a few months ago.

E: sorry for the lovely lighting.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 31, 2016

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

nyerf posted:

and next to husband's, who also had a meteorite inlay bit

That's nice. I've never been a fan of tension settings before, but I really like that one.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I have a really heavy bracelet with a box clasp that I can pull apart without depressing the stud. It doesn't slip right apart but I don't have to pull hard on it to get it apart. Should I bother getting it fixed, or should I just rely on the safeties to keep it on?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

This guy at work is on the process of scrapping his mother in laws jewelry(gallon zip lock bags full of the stuff). He has 2 chains I'm interested in 1 is a 28 gram 24" Figaro in 14k white gold. I don't like white gold and in not big into Figaro chains. The other is a 20 gram 22" rope chain in 10k yellow gold. I like yellow gold and I like rope chains, but it's only 3mm and it's 10k.

I can get either of them for a little under scrap value but I can't decide which I want. The Figaro is 14k and heavier by a few grams but it's a Figaro and white gold. I can't afford the chain I actually want right now so I guess I'll get one of these to hold me over till I find a sweet deal on a used 24" 6mm rope.

Which should I get?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Xun posted:

Soo anyone know if there will be an issue with a white gold pendant on a silver chain?

The silver chain can wear through the thingy on the pendant. Someone posted a picture a while ago of an 18k medallion that was on a 10 or 14k chain. Looks l9ke someone took a round file to the loop that the chain goes through.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I can get em for about what a gold buyer would give him for them. Yeah it's under scrap but if be lucky to break even. I wish he had them a months ago, I would have just bought them both. Now golds up a little.

E: I guess I could get them both and try to flip them. He has a really nice 40 gram 14k yg curb chain too but it's only 20" and fits me like a choker almost.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 8, 2017

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Is there a chart or spreadsheet that will tell you about what a chain should weigh based off of karat, length, and width?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I figured as much. I'm looking at rope chains and weights are all over the place. I really don't want to get a hollow chain and when searching the used market sometimes that isn't always known/listed.

When I had my bracelet made the guy told me what It'd weigh and was only off my 2.4 grams. Even after I switched from 14k to 18 he fired the number right off. So I figured there might be something out there to figure it out.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Does this this weight and length seem right for a solid chain? I know it says solid but I'm sure there's some people who have a hollow chain and don't know it. Also looking at this one but it's thinner so idk.

E: I asked the guy selling the second one how wide it was. Guy said 3/8" there's no freaking way it's that wide lol.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Found another 70's/80's ring over the weekend.

Lost about 80 pounds, and the ring on my pinky in that pic is loose as poo poo but still can't get it sized up enough to fit my ring finger. Luckily my right pinky is a little bigger than my left.

• Locked thread