Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

squigadoo posted:

I've received a kunzite pendant, and had a question. Wikipedia tells me that if kunzite is exposed to light for a long time, the color will fade. Can the color be brought back with a heat treatment? Will a heat treatment make the color stick?

Nah, you'd need to irradiate it to (temporarily) bring the color back, and that's just not worthwhile. Heating it will just remove the color quicker.

Good news is, some kunzite (depending on the locale) is stable, and even the stuff that fades will often reach equilibrium with some color remaining. And if you keep it out of direct sunlight it should probably be fine, since it's mostly the UV exposure that causes fading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anyone else at Tucson?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PAK Designs is a place I'd recommend. They do great work!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Luneshot posted:

Alright, time for silly questions. I've got a small 4mm sapphire stud (square cut of some sort) in sterling silver that I wear every day as my earring. While I really like it, I kinda want some other options- but I'm a college student with a pathetic budget.

I want something iridescent or with rainbow colors- something that will be easily noticeable as a rainbow up close, but not so flashy that it draws a lot of attention to me. For what it's worth, I've got pretty small ears so the 4mm (or a little bigger) is just about the perfect size. What sort of options are there (if any) under the $300 range? The only thing that comes to mind immediately is ammolite, but I hear that it's hard to take care of. Am I being naive and there won't be anything that cheap? It still hasn't really hit me yet that "jewelry is expensive".

I'm going to take the opportunity to pimp the opal earrings in my shop.

Coupon code "goons" for 15% off

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fair enough. Just keep in mind that opals usually look better in person than they do in photos.

Actually, does anyone here have tricks for photographing opals? Everyone I've talked to about it has basically said 'keep trying in different lightings'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unfortunately, Ethiopian opals don't react very well to water - they're reverse hydrophane, so the drier they get, the more spectacular the colors.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Umph posted:

So I am going to propose. Do any of the cool jewelers here have any interesting or pretty engagement rings they're currently selling? My budget is 2 grand. Thanks!

I don't personally have any engagement rings, but my good friends at PAK Designs do wonderful work. You should send an email to Info@pakdesigns.com - say you got a referral from Angry Turtle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you wanted to do something custom, maybe some precious metal clay would work too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just as a warning - if you do anything with PMC, make sure you don't put it in a furnace where it might hit the sides. The metal fuses to the floor, and it's close to impossible to get out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

To the jewelry goons with your own website, how much did it cost to set up?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you think the lapis is dyed, you can just put a little acetone swab across it. If it comes away blue, you know it's faked. No reason to settle - the real stuff is super cheap right now.

Nickel's a bigger problem than lead overall (if you're allergic). Most of the problems have been in the really low-end stuff - if you go with Sterling you should be fine, and it isn't that expensive.

Anyway, I feel like I pretty much *have* to plug my store now. We've got a lot of good jewelry in the $20-$30 dollar range. We should be putting up some lapis in the next week.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/angryturtle

Coupon code GOONS for 15% off.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zratha posted:

Unfortunately nowadays in order to make the dye more durable, when lapis is dyed they then coat it with a thin layer of plastic afterwards, rendering the acetone test useless.

There are ready ways to detect that as well. Hot pin (like you use with amber), emission of smoke or a foul smell would indicate any plastic content.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hey man, just so you know, your search page seems to be returning a few spurious results.

Those $0.00 things just return a 404 page, so it isn't major, but figure you should know about it.

EDIT: You can see them by searching for 'thin bangle'.
DoubleEDIT: Also, looks like your customer feedback thing is having an issue? Doesn't seem like the stars are matching the comments.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 28, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brennanite posted:

Tunicate, I'll keep an eye out for the lapis.

Hey, a goon just bought a lapis from me. Was that you?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Doctor posted:

I know there is at least one goon in this thread who designs superior gemstone jewellery. I used to have the URL but lost it. Can someone re-post it if you have it? Actually the links to any goon-owned jewellery shops if there's more than one.

:toot: Going to toot my own horn. And some other etsy goons too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679557

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rotoscoped posted:

Phew, I just read this entire thread in the past few days and I'd really like to thank Claes and especially Johnny for keeping this thread going for so long and talking about so many cool and interesting things :3:.

I have been interested in buying loose stones for a while, but I don't really have all that much spending money. They'd just be for looking at and possibly for using in a beginner's jewelry course I plan to take later in the year, so I think some lab-grown gems would be my best bet for now, probably? Can any of you fine goons recommend me an online store that sells those and also ships to Europe? Are there certain terms to avoid? (I think I read something abot synthetic vs lab-made earlier in the thread?)

Any help would be appreciated :).

Well, you can try to find some local gem and mineral shows in your area. Being able to look at them in person and talk with the vendors will probably help you figure out what you like or dislike.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wire wrapping faceted gems is more difficult than cabochons.

You might want to look for premade settings that would fit the stones online, but I'm not sure what would fit the octagonal cut.

I think one of the pendant settings from Tripps would work for the rose quartz, provided you're willing to put the stone in yourself. They've got a few different styles if you poke around the site a bit, and getting one in sterling is like 6-7 dollars.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xun posted:

It'll be my first time there, not sure what to expect!

Try not to buy anything the first day.

You won't be successful, but try.

Anyway, I'm going as well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The real value of jewelry is what it's worth as a piece of art.

The better the jeweler, the bigger the difference between the raw materials price and the value of the finished piece. And the price of the raw material is pretty variable and subjective for everything but diamonds, so...

FAKEEDIT: yeah what Scaramouche and JohnnyRnR said.

Personally, I've always been open for negotiating on my prices, but I'm a bit of an extremophile as far as the jewelry trade goes. If someone knocks my 30 dollar pendant down to 25, I don't really fight that much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This seem like the type of friend who might fall for a scam?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

The quotes I've been getting start at ~$500 for a 9ct yellow gold claw setting, is that in the right order of magnitude?

How big is your stone?

I'd recommend looking at the pendant settings from Tripps.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They aren't the same gem :argh:

Moissanite is cooler.

quote:

Also, I inherited from my parents a chunk of "tiger's eye" agate. I think it's tiger's eye anyway. Years ago my dad had a small piece cut from it and a tie pin made for himself and a small brooch for my mother. The finished stones look like the color thats called tiger's eye to me. When I say a "chunk", I mean they used it as a door stop. We also cracked nuts on it. It weighs about eight pounds and the color looks uniform overall. Any idea what it might be worth?
I assume you mean this sort of stuff?

If it's just yellow and brown, it's not super valuable. About 5 dollars a pound? If it's got blue and better patterning, price can go way up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hmmxkrazee posted:

Kind of a vague request but I'd like to get a bracelet for my girlfriend with a budget of about $100.

I'm not sure exactly what she likes but I'm looking for something that's simple with a nice little detail. Vague, I know.

A couple of decent pieces I found..
Simple bracelet chain with a nice little infinity piece.
http://www.bluenile.com/infinity-chain-bracelet-sterling-silver_43231?action=SterlingSilverSelect&track=alternate-metalsCustomizer
This one I was going to add a personalized heart charm.
http://www.bluenile.com/petite-linked-bracelet-sterling-silver_41677?elem=img&track=product
Her favorite color is yellow so I was also looking at..
http://www.zales.com/citrine-station-bracelet-sterling-silver/product.jsp?productId=10927884

Something with a leather bracelet/sterling silver combo would also be pretty good. I know a lot of the bracelets she wears are more of a leather material than silver/metal.

I know going in-person to a store is ideal but there aren't too many non-mall jewelry places around and I'm also a total noob at this.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

JBD are friends of mine. They don't do leather, but their bracelets seem to be in the area you're looking at.

Something like this seems about right. They do a lot of commissions, so if she has a favorite stone they can work it out for you (or just ask for one with a citrine or other yellow stone).

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 10, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd say that sapphire is a bit dark, unless your girlfriend is really into that deep royal blue - it could black out in dimmer light, and you won't get all the performance that's possible from a lighter stone.

Also, looks like the forum ate your timg, so it's showing up as full size

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

errol _flynn posted:

The dumbest of questions: 5.2mm stud earrings will hold 5mm sapphires just fine, right? (Or do I need to get 5mm only?)

They should, though different settings have different tolerances, and depends upon how shallow the stones are cut as.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brennanite posted:

That's a pretty big ring, the center stone alone is 2 carats. Not a knock if that's what she wants, but I'd have her try on a similar-sized ring to be sure. The oval cut isn't a big deal, that's fairly standard. I'm pretty sure most sapphires on the market have been heat-treated, so you should assume it has been as well. Color is a matter of personal preference. Again, if she likes it, that's the important thing. I'm curious to hear about clarity, I've never heard about it in dark sapphires.

Yeah, everybody heat treats sapphires. Unless they explicitly say otherwise, that's the default assumption. It's a stable treatment, though, so it's not like it's a big deal.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm not exactly looking to plastic up the Hope diamond I was mostly hoping for brand recommendations for protecting semiprecious, slightly porous poo poo like turquoise.

Well if it's cheap turquoise odds are it's just a bunch of blended stone stuck together with epoxy anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

black.lion posted:

Sorry if this has been answere (I'm sure it has) but my friend is looking into buying an engagement ring - what path gives him the most bang for his buck? Buy a stone and have it put in a ring? I know going to Tiffany's etc. is a ripoff according to the OP...

Thanks!

Probably best to get into touch with a good jeweler from the start and not try to DIY it.

I personally always recommend my friends at PAK Designs for engagement rings. You can see a lot of their pieces on their ebay. No matter what type of stone you're looking for, they'll either have it, or know the guy who does.

Their contact email is info@pakdesigns.com Tell them the Angry Turtle told you to get in touch. :)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Got a question for you jewelers out there, is it possible to buy electrum? I've got a project that needs a 12"x12" sheet of metal, right now all I can find is gold, brass, or silver but I'd like to do it in electrum. I don't exactly have the tools to make an alloy myself, but I can't find anywhere to buy just a sheet of electrum.

Edit: Dunno if it matters, but I'd need it in 20 gauge.

What ratio do you want? You can try Hoover and Strong.

EDIT: Best to look for it under the name 'green gold'.

Double edit: dangit, forgot they don't sell to people who aren't wholesaling.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 3, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Thanks guys, I'll call both of those places tomorrow and see if they can hook me up.

Next question: If I want to embed a precious stone (Lab-grown Alexandrite, for reference. basically this.) into that metal sheet, could I simply heat it with a propane torch then stick the stone in the hot metal? Or should I carve out a hole and solder the stone in from the back?
That's not a good idea.

You might want to look into precious metal clay. Essentially, moldable sculpie that you stick into a pottery kiln, which burns out all the filler and turns into a solid chunk of metal. You actually *can* put stones into it before firing, if you're careful, so that's an advantage.

As a disclaimer, I have no idea what happens if you mix gold clay and silver clay, but that might end up giving you a neat effect.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vino posted:

I have a ring made of some cheap stuff which might be silver that I got in a bus station in Spain, and some copper that is definitely copper that I got from a copper spool wire, and I've been wearing them as rings for a while, and I'd like to take them somewhere and make them into something nicer that maybe won't even turn my fingers green. Is this possible? Can I just take the metal to any jeweler and they make something cool out of it for me? Or do only special places do that? Or what?

Generally it's a lot cheaper and easier to sell the metal for its value and have them use fresh wire or whatever. Working with unknown alloys is a pain.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

laxbro posted:

What are some good materials for a men's wedding band? I'd like something matte silver or gold colored that isn't super expensive.

What price range are you looking for? 14k or 18k gold isn't really super expensive.

A lot of people like brushed matte tungsten rings as well. Shop around on those though since price varies a lot.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 9, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IIRC tungsten carbide is brittle enough that you can shatter it with a pair of pliers if you need to remove it in a hurry, so it's a little safer than titanium in that respect.

Don't wear it when working with machines obviously, but you shouldn't do that with any ring, no matter whether its rigid or made of a malleable metal that can get deformed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

xyloshan posted:

How would you cast something in say copper without using a forge? I was looking into trying to cast skull molds with different metals but almost all of them required forges, especially if it was a more expensive metal.

At the risk of repeating myself, you should look into using precious metal clay.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The newer formulas of pmc need a lot lower temperatures - there even are ones you can fire with a butane torch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RabbitMage posted:

So today I found a ring I like. I totally neglected to take a picture (I could probably go back tomorrow and get one) and Google isn't finding anything similar enough. But I love it, and I think the intended recipient will, too.

Mostly, I just want to make sure I'm not getting hosed on the price. It's a 14k yellow gold ring with an opal (not huge, I don't remember the measurement) in a bezel setting. I know opals+rings=not the best idea, but the stone looks pretty well protected by the setting, and my partner really likes opals. I doubt that's enough information. "Uh...it's a ring? It looks purdy."

It's priced at $695. Fair, unfair? I see things I like online for less, but I really liked being able to see and feel the rings when making a selection (and also really liked the salesperson who worked with me).

With the amount of information you gave, it's possible it's a good deal, but it's hard to judge without knowing more.

Would have to see photos (and given that this is opal, maybe a video, depending on play of color) to really give a good estimate.

What color is the opal? Any idea where it's from?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 16, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anyone else planning to go to Tucson this year?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wedemeyer posted:

Not quite jewelry, but is there a place online to buy halved amethyst geodes? My dad had one until it was broken and I was hoping to replace it with a similar sized one, maybe 5 or 6 inches long by 3 or 4 inches wide? I looked on etsy but it's either thousands of dollars for something the size of an umbrella stand, tiny shards clearing my aura, or wire wrapped jewelry. All very nice, but not what im hoping to find. What would be an appropriate price range so I'm not getting ripped off?

Check ebay's buy it now. While price depends on color and shape, but in that general size range there are some in the 20-50 dollar range that are nice.

Hopefully nobody beats you to that first link - it's a pretty great deal.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 25, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TunaSpleen posted:

On Sunday my fiance asked me a very interesting, but somewhat vague question: "What's the rarest kind of gem on Earth?" I told him many gems are common in the Earth's crust, but finding large ones of high quality is the hard part. However, he meant absolute rarity as in small amounts existing in total. Can any gemologists point me toward some oddball shiny rocks? The rarest I can find is naturally-occurring Moissanite.

Probably some obscure silicate mineral, where there's only one crystal in a collector's home somewhere.

Or some one-off Russian synthetic produced during the cold war.

There was a guy at Tucson selling faceted super-high-lead-content glass out of a window used to shield the workers during the Manhattan Project. It looked really cool - the radiation it had been exposed to turned it yellow-green, and at 70% lead oxide, it has an incredibly high dispersion. Historical significance makes it pretty rare.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JohnnyRnR posted:

A chunk of that glass went up for auction recently and I had the same thought: "Wouldn't it be cool to cut that up and facet it?" Do you have his name? I'd like to buy a sample.

Dunno if he still has any, but here's his site.

• Locked thread