Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Why is she never going to wear it? Does she even want a ring then?

I think what he's saying is he wants to make the engagement ring into something she wants to wear on its own merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I can't afford it, but would you PM me a price anyway just so I can assign a number to that feeling?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That dude's a dick, but if the return's been processed and he has the ring back and you have the cash back any attempt at forcibly un-returning the item is pretty drat unlikely.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If anyone wants to get some cheap color-change rough, I recently got my hands on some synthetic neodynium YAG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNSTPEeiQwU

Purple under incandescent light and sunlight, still purple but a little bluer in LED light, and totally colorless under fluorescent lighting.

The change looks great in person, and this material is really easy to facet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xun posted:

OOoo, where did you get the YAG from? I've been trying to find a good place to get synthetic rough

It's leftover material from a chinese laser-rod company. Here's a better photo of the pieces I have.

You can see the fluted edges, which is where they cut laser rods out of the big boule. The boule end seems to have broke off when they were pulling it out of the melt, and it's pretty cool too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Looks like Erongo and Vietnamese (maybe some nice Pakistani0.

At 2 dollars a carat you could certainly do a lot worse. I saw some cheaper a Tucson, but of course everything is cheaper there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, setting tanzanite is fine, it's only a hair softer than quartz. Just don't give it ultrasonic cleaning.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WOOFDOCTOR posted:

Is there something visually similar with better durability? I really like the sort of shifty blue-purple color I have seen in tanzanite.

A color change sapphire or a spinel will shift between blue and purple, so in some lights you get that mixed color. They aren't cheap, but that'll get the look and be significantly more durable.

If you're one of those dubai billionaires, color-change blue garnet :getin:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xun posted:

And there's nothing wrong with synthetic gems if you want a lower price. Sometimes I feel sad about all the poo poo synthetic gems get for basically no reason :smith:

60-90% of the cut amethyst you see in jewelry stores is an undisclosed synthetic, after all. Literally impossible to tell the exact amount -- the GIA won't even give an opinion for amethyst anymore.

As far as price goes, synthetics (with the exception of Victoria Stone, since that's LOST TECHNOLOGY) have the problem that supply is essentially unlimited, while things like Parabia Tourmaline or Louisiana Sand Opal or even Charoite are more limited in source. Try getting your hands on that really good ocean jasper at anything like the price it was ten years ago.

Not that I'm knocking synthetics, there's a lot of really neat synthetic stuff, but the big issues with them in terms of value is mass-production and loss of perceived uniqueness in what's ultimately an art market.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

With so little information to go on, and since it's not gonna be a real spectrometer, maybe a touchstone? Or a scam?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Of course, if you really are going to be a apocalypse prepper, you should build skills necessary for scavenging the post-apocalyptic ruins of civilization while also picking up gold and silver for below spot price.

Scour your local flea markets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow, I had no idea that existed

quote:

What is currently available as a used analyzer?
...$4,000 off list

yeah sounds expensive as gently caress. Gotta be a few k if that's the discount for a used one.

EDIT: checked ebay, seem to be running a bare minimum of 10k to 12k if you want one that actually works, or you can get a nonfunctional paperweight for 3k.

You could get a pretty big chunk of gold for that price.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 21, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You should look at the ethiopian opals being sold by Daniel Kinfe - he's my regular supplier and great. Top floor of coliseum.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Opals are prima donnas and can be individually tricky to photograph.

Direct sunlight against a black or white sheet of paper is usually pretty good, though to get your camera to adjust brightness correctly you mighg need to surround your white paper with something darker (or vice versa).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

How's the color?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

How about malachite? Not super durable as far as gemstones go, but as an inlay it might fit the bill.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you don't care about Be-treatment, of course, then they're pretty cheap.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also sometimes the stone have little blue polka dots

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't have much in the way of high-quality Be sapphires, but here are a couple really zoomed-in photos of a few of my bottom-of-the barrel quality ones I got as part of a parcel.

You can see the polka dots (also: various other flaws). They don't show up in all Be-treated sapphires (I think they come from little rutile inclusions getting heated for a long time?) but if you see them you know what happened :eng101:.

I bought this guy just because it was weird:

(And I set a more peachy one that isn't very polka dotty as an accent stone here)

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 28, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, I should clarify here that my low-grade ones shouldn't be taken as indicative of anything about high-end be-treated sapphires, except to give some examples of the possible color range

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm the person running the christmas goon giftsellers thread this year. Mostly etsy goons, but that's not a rule or anything.

Anyone interested in being part of it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goodness posted:

Link it please

We're currently arranging things in the etsy thread.

Last year's thread is here; I'm going to be following the same formula. Gonna put up the thread and buy a banner once we have 4 shops in it, just so it doesn't seem like I'm buying 'christmas goon' ads which only link to my shop.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thread is up. Figured it would be best to have it running for cyber monday.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799626

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JohnnyRnR posted:

I'll be back tomorrow to post a few photos of Rwandan amethysts that are just entering the market this year. They are amazing.

Expecting to see any at Tucson?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JohnnyRnR posted:

I'm more excited about the ruby and jadeite ban being lifted.

The peripheral effects will be pretty nice as well - I'm already having less issues with customs and I don't even deal with Burmese stones.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dienes posted:

That's it! Holy cow, that price tag is a bit more than I expected. :eyepop:
They misidentified the stone in it as jade, which is funny.

It was less on ebay last year

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STERLING-SILVER-DRAGON-SERPENT-RING-HOLDING-MYSTICAL-AMETHYST-BALL-UMA/251928943262

(but that one sold)

EDIT:
another sold one on rubylane: https://www.rubylane.com/item/635099-R-1469/Natural-Amethyst-Dragon-Ring-Sterling-Silver

Edit:
and another on liveauctioneers for $15 https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/32097238

Mass-produced so probably there are a lot more running around if you can sift through the right search terms. Prolly can expect a new one to show up every year or so as well.

That Etsy seller is a low-information person just starting out, so there's a good chance you can negotiate the price down to something far more reasonable.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 31, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

I'm reading through the thread, so forgive me if i'm retreading ground, but are there any good resources for rough gemstone pricing, appraisal and selling.

I have a ton of rough aqua, green/pink/watermelon tourmaline and some assorted quartz with morganite/kunzite mixed in.

I'm not nearly skilled enough to cut and facet this material and i'd rather sell some of it off to finance that; but i'm overwhelmed by all the information I find online.

What options do I have other than wildly guessing and throwing the stuff up on ebay/etsy?

I personally can't give much in the way of hard-and-fast rules, but instead of just wildly guessing you can search ebay's 'sold' listings (which I think go back 3 months?), compare against other material with similar size/color/clarity, and get a feel for the current going rate.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hoover Dam posted:

Are the "chocolate" ones just a scam to sell less desirably colored ones?

Desirability is a creation of marketing, so no more than diamonds themselves being a scam.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anyone interested in a tucson meetup?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Both days look good for me!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xun posted:

My gem prof says normies can't even get into the good shows with all the cool gem rough and stuff. :smith:

Heh, by 'good shows' he's talking about the shows that suck to buy low-end stuff and cool rough. Because they feature primarily high-end already-cut material, and things from the retail side of the business.

But if you do want to get into the high-end shows to look around, filling out the paperwork can be a huge pain in the rear end... unless you get into AGTA first, because it seems that having an AGTA badge in your name is sufficient evidence that you're not a normie, and AGTA is pretty easy to get into.

Overall, I've generally had a lot more luck with Kino, Pueblo, Day's Inn, Granada, 22nd street, the Miner's Coop, and JGX. You'll often have to high grade out the best pieces of rough from a big pile, but the prices are way lower and there's a lot of variety.

What are you looking for in particular?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 6, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Niiiiiiiiice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fps_bill posted:

Is there a chart or spreadsheet that will tell you about what a chain should weigh based off of karat, length, and width?

It varies so much based on style that you can't really say just from those three numbers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fps_bill posted:

I figured as much. I'm looking at rope chains and weights are all over the place. I really don't want to get a hollow chain and when searching the used market sometimes that isn't always known/listed.

When I had my bracelet made the guy told me what It'd weigh and was only off my 2.4 grams. Even after I switched from 14k to 18 he fired the number right off. So I figured there might be something out there to figure it out.

He probably buys them by weight

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xun posted:

My jeweler skills are "I am actually a CS student" so its not looking good lol. I've been talking to some custom goldsmiths around here and quotes have been like 300$ for a setting because my stone was 6.1mm wide instead of 6.0. I bet the stone isn't even worth 300$

If you're interested, I've got a silversmith friend who casts sterling settings. They aren't gonna be custom for the stone, but he should have ones that take 6ish mm gems - silver's a lot more flexible than gold.

Dunno how valuable that is to you since he's in the US but I can give you contact info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

Im looking to land a nice lab ruby, 1/3 of a carat, round cut. What are the preferred purveyors of lab gem stones?

That's what, 4 mm? I dunno, but you can probably get one on ebay for fifty cents.

I mean, it's a synthetic corundum, they're pretty interchangeable aside from color. Is there anything in particular that you care about?

EDIT: If you just want a random link, you can get 10 4 mm rubies for 3 dollars + shipping from these guys

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 21, 2017

• Locked thread