Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I've seen similar pieces for much less in my local artists' co-op and at high-end craft shows. Are there any artists' co-ops near you? That general style seems to be on trend with artisan jewelers right now, at least around here (Northeastern US).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

laxbro posted:

I got a F, SI1 for my wife for about that amount, but it was from an estate sale. Got it set in a rose gold tacori ring and my wife loves it. Ask your jewelry store if they have any estate diamonds on hand, you can get a way better diamond for your money.

Seconding this. I am not a rich lady, but my diamonds are loving awesome because they're 100+ years old and the mines were just not as picked over back then.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The Sock posted:

I live in Indianapolis and I was looking into buying an engagement ring, however, I can't seem to find any stores that aren't like Zales, Reis Nichol, etc, which seems like they would make up there products by a lot. The local stores seem to be very small, which makes me nervous due to lack of selection and reputation and I would prefer not to do it online. Any recommendations on what to do or am I over thinking this?

Doesn't a local newspaper/radio station/whatever media outlet do a "Best of" annual issue?

Or ask a co-worker who wears nice jewelry what place they recommend.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Channel inlay. This tutorial seems to correspond with what I saw people doing at a demonstration on the Zuni Pueblo.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Xun posted:

And there's nothing wrong with synthetic gems if you want a lower price. Sometimes I feel sad about all the poo poo synthetic gems get for basically no reason :smith:

The argument is that they have low/no resale value, which, holy gently caress, like natural gems have reliable resale value :whoptc:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

1. Bostonian Jewelers is really good. Husband and wife team, both are excellent but wife is less brusque.

2. A lot of jewelers won't work on ivory these days, but ask the Bostonian Jewelers people if they know anyone who will. I don't wear ivory jewelry myself because blah blah discourage ivory trade so I have never gotten any of my old ivory stuff repaired, but I am also unwilling to dispose of it (can't sell it in Mass of course) so it sits wrapped in acid-free paper at the bottom of my jewelry box.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

That's crazy gorgeous. The color is just beautiful.

I love yellow diamonds and wish they suited my skin tone.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Massive necropost, but at the point where I'm going to hand over money for the engagement ring, and was tossing up between Platinum and White Gold.

Jeweller is quoting 6250 AUD vs 7500 AUD for the ring including the sapphire for white gold vs platinum so first instinct was to save some bucks and go with White gold, but is that fine for every day wear?

From the consumer end, platinum has to be buffed every few years and white gold has to be redipped every couple of years, so maintenance is pretty much a wash.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

LastDay posted:

What about if the person I'm buying it for has sensitive skin? It looks like I'd be safe with platinum but white gold might be iffy

I am pretty heavily allergic to nickel in base metal compounds and have never had any issues with white gold, for one random datapoint. On the other hand, if the white gold didn't work for her, you'd be out a bit more than the current $1250 differential between the gold and the platinum to replace the ring after the fact. On the third hand, maybe she'll like white gold more (I do, especially with sapphires).

You can order nickel-free white gold, which is more expensive than standard but still less than platinum. My understanding is that it's a gold/palladium alloy? Maybe one of the jewelers will explain more.

Claes Oldenburger, it's good to hear there are white golds out there now that don't need re-dipping! All my white gold rings are 30 - 90 years old, so they do. This makes me more interested in adding a white gold anniversary band in the future!

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 10, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for a pair of white gold/diamond stud (solitaire I guess?) earrings for my wife's birthday.

I'm hoping to spend less than $650 if possible, while still getting something she'll be pleased with. She's got modest taste so I'm not too worried but it's her 40th birthday so I'd like something special.

Something like this look nice, but I am really ignorant.

I live in the Washington DC area (Northern Virginia) and I have access to a lot of stores, both chain and small.

Will I be able to find something decent at that price point?

Do not ever go to a Sterling Jewelers store (Kay, Jared, Zales) for diamonds. Blue Nile and Brilliant Earth are much better quality and they don't treat their employees like poo poo.

But really, your local independent jeweler should be able to meet Blue Nile's price, with the advantage that if you need repairs in future, they're right there. Also, shopping local.

Those earrings look fine and very versatile, from my consumer's perspective. The actual jewelers in the thread may have more detailed feedback.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Palladium looks fantastic with emeralds, if you want a consumer opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

All my opals are set in jewelry made before 1950, so presumably sourced from wherever US and Canadian jewelers got them in the 19th and 20th centuries. Should I be really cautious with them in terms of not getting them wet/not scratching them/and so on?

• Locked thread