Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

combee posted:

However, reading around online, apparently fingers are prone to expansion due to humidity, body fluid retention, time of day and even the seasons. Now, it's spring (winter just ended) here, the size 8 band has fit me fine for the past month or so (at times it gets a tiny bit tight, but not uncomfortably so like the stacking rings were), however I am worried that come summer my fingers will get wide and the rings will be too tight. So my question is, should I get the stacking rings resized to size 8 (which I know fits me well in winter), or should I go a tiny bit bigger to account for possible finger expansion in summer?

Also keep in mind that the wider the width of the band (or the stack, if it's not a single ring), the larger it needs to be. The ring needs to fit comfortably over a wider expanse of your finger, so the general guideline is that wider rings need to be larger than what normally fits on you. You might even need an 8 1/4, depending on how much wider the stack of rings is than the size 8 ring that fits comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

JohnnyRnR posted:

You need to ask what the process is since many places won't use a customer's gold. This varies by each retailer. I personally do not do it simply because those old alloys can be finicky (and may be contaminated with things that release dangerous gas when burned). I will buy the gold from the customer and cast their design with recycled gold that has been refined and re-alloyed.
This is how the shop I'm affiliated with does it too. She casts in 18k+ exclusively and also won't mix her alloy with old alloy - but she will give credit for the gold towards the price of the finished piece, and if it means everything in the WORLD that some of the old ring is used, she'll try to accommodate that in some way.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Tonight I:

took this wax,

and this gold,

and put it in this machine,

with this fire,

and made this ring,

for this stone.

:coal:

The wax wasn't the finished version, I forgot to take a picture of it before it went into the plaster. The ring is only a few minutes after casting, with none of the finishing work done. From now, it will be another 1-2 weeks before the ring is completely finished. I love this process! This it the third custom ring I've been a part of making for myself, and the 6th piece of my jeweler's that I own. I can't even begin to say how exciting this is to see from start (a concept in my head) to finish (a piece of unique jewelry that will last a lifetime).

:toot:

Kalista fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 23, 2011

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Kalaxus posted:

Whats the best way to go about checking a ruby's authenticity? I have a loose cut ruby given to me by a friend after his jewelry store closed. Color and clarity is flawless. Took it to a commercial jewelry buyer and he said its either synthetic or worth a fortune and told me to take it to GIA get it certified. Can't afford the road trip though if it turns out to be fake. Only thing I have to go on at the moment really is that it doesn't have a scratch on it, so it appears to have high enough hardness.

Take it to a local gem/jewelry appraiser. If you can't find one or don't know how to go about looking, find an artisan jewelry shop in your area (not a chain jewelry store, but one where they make the actual jewelry there at the shop with custom designs/artwork), and ask them who they recommend for appraisals.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
My custom ring is done! Having gone through the process personally twice for custom pieces, and participated in many others while I was working at the shop, I can't imagine every buying jewelry through anything else than a custom shop. Don't waste money on cookie-cutter, overpriced, shoddy work, please.

(Edit: In fairness to the jeweler in question, the pictures were taken before she did a final check of the ring and tightened up the prongs from what you see here. The stone is well set and doesn't rattle - which is an accomplishment for a 16.5 carat amethyst.)

Have some pictures:

Kalista fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 22, 2011

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

marshmallard posted:

So that ring I posted would be a really bad idea then? The setting wouldn't provide much protection I guess :(
Go visit an independent craftsman jeweler in your area. Unless you happen to find someone like Johnny (which is rare without a personal connection), you're *always* going to get a better quality piece in person from a reputable shop than you will from anywhere online.

You're not going to get a tanzanite ring from a good jeweler for $999. There's a reason that ring is that cheap - it's likely a piece of crap, especially when compared to what you'd get from a real jeweler.

Why settle for something less? If you really really want a tanzanite to wear every day, a jeweler will help you design something that can accommodate daily wear - OR steer you towards more suitable alternative stones that you will also like very much.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Sangori posted:

Still, I am not really happy with my yellow gold ring anymore. A friend mentioned that I could have my rings plated in white gold for a nominal fee, but that it might wear off pretty quickly. Do you jewelers have any advice for that?

You can have your gold ring rhodium plated for a minimal cost (under $100) and it will then look a platinum white. The plating will indeed eventually need to be redone, but maybe once a year at the most, for the same cost. If you don't have the money for a new ring and want it to have a white gold/platinum look, then rhodium plating is the way to do it.

I'd look up a craftsman/custom jewelry shop in your area and take it in, they'll get you hooked up. If you happen to be in Seattle, I'd even do it for you! :)

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Christabel posted:

I'm not from a tipping country, and now live in one that is. Is it proper to tip my jewelery designer? If so, how much? I wouldn't have tipped someone if I had bought it from Birks or something, but is it expected in this instance?

I don't think I've seen anyone tip my friend, or anyone who works with her. While they're retail artisans, they're not service industry where their labor for you is their only product (food service, maid service, etc) and their profit is calculated into the cost of the piece. I'd say you don't need to tip.

Anniepoo posted:

Is that possible to have made? I know not to even ask Zales, Kay, etc. so how to find a reputable jeweler who can get this type of band made?

Where are you at, generally? If you really don't have anyone local, Johnny might be able to get you started, or I can send you the info for my friend's shop. She's able and happy to do work remotely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

McStephenson posted:

When I say use i'm talking about the first statement: using the materials to make the rings I asked about through casts or whatever methods jewelers use.

What little research I did indicated that that would be expensive/unwise, is that true?

The shop I apprenticed with would not reuse the gold from other rings and jewelry, because the alloy (mixture of metals) they use would not match the alloy in the existing rings (especially as one ring is 10k and the others are 14k). There's also potential for impurities in the metal of the older rings.

What they would do is take the gold from the old rings and give you credit for it towards the final cost of the piece you were having made. They then send that to their refiner along with all the other scraps/shavings/gold they have, who then gives the shop credit towards purchase of new alloy.

The stones though, they are always happy to remove and reuse those, as long as the stones are in good condition.

• Locked thread