Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

reborn posted:

I hadn't seen something about it in the OP but I'm on the hunt for a men's band that I like. My biggest issue is deciding on a metal. I'm not looking for anything to set stones in. There are so many metals out there that they throw at you and I'm not really sure of their pro's and con's.

Tungsten
Tungsten is awesome for many reasons: doesn't scratch, it's very manly (drill bit material), it's bloody cheap.

I got my wife a titanium ring to wear while she's with the Army and it's totally awesome, but quite heavy and solid feeling compared to a gold ring. I got it from here, and it arrived very quickly. Did I mention it was cheaper than gold?

http://www.titaniumkay.com/

My wedding ring is yellow/white/yellow gold. It's great, but the snag here is that doing manly things causes it to get scratched easily. Gold has that drawback. I take it off when weight lifting because the bars gouge it and give me callouses on my hand.

Did I mention that tungsten carbide doesn't scratch under these circumstances?

If you're worried that tungsten cannot be cut off if you have an accident, don't fear. They're even easier to get off than gold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8dPVPKup80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
I was spraying sodium hypochlorite solution and afterwards I noticed on my white gold ring there appeared to be spots of yellow gold, or perhaps even burnished copper. Should I be worried? How easy are these to polish off?

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Whoops!

It was 40g/L, in a standard mould remover. The things one learns (after the damage is done).

I'll need to get a better camera to be able to photograph these as the contrast is very minor. Here are some pictures from the scanner ...

(Click to get the same picture but with circles around some of the worst spots.)

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

JohnnyRnR posted:

You should be A-OK. That damage doesn't look too bad at all. Just wear gloves next time!
Thank goodness for that! I was worried when I discovered it a few days later.

On this theme, have you any stories of jewelery disasters? People that got their precious metals caught in machines, doors, vats of chemicals, orifices, and then wanted your assistance restoring them?

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Jeepers. What sort of bodily fluid?

I know of one lady who was given an engagement ring which she thought was excessively large. Didn't really like it that much, but it's an engagement ring.

One day she was a passenger in a car crash. The ring tore her finger off, and although it was later successfully reattached it still hasn't got all its sensation back and has a tidy scar on it.

Personally, I think engagement rings should come with a safety covering. The number of injuries sustained by partners of people who just proposed must be staggering. Certainly in my experience and amongst my friends it is.

• Locked thread