Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Fantastic OP, this thread deserves to get some recognition.

1) What do you think of online places with a fairly solid rep, like bluenile?
2) Is there any way to really makes sure a diamond is conflict free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So what would be the best way to get the most value when shopping for an engagement ring? I have a friend who bought a ring from one of those aforementioned "mall jewelry stores" and paid a hilarious amount. Would it be buying the stone/setting separately? Stone online, setting somewhere else?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So say I wanted a ring with one diamond in the center flanked by two sapphires. When ring shopping I should mainly focus on the stones, correct? The setting is something that I could pretty much get anywhere? When shop by price should I be looking for someone to sell me the stones for as little as possible (and get them set elsewhere), or the ring for as little as possible?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So Philadelphia has a "jewler's row" a few blocks away from me. From what you're saying, the way to go would be to start at one end, and walk into as many stores as I can, comparing the prices to each other? Sorry if this sounds too obvious, I'm just extremely wary of an industry that I see as very disingenuous, and after seeing my friend get demolished by a mall jewelry store. He even went with their financing.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 28, 2010

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm just confused as to what the best way to compare is. Say I want a ring with one diamond flanked by two sapphires. Maybe this is even pretty common, as stated above. Still, am I wrong in thinking that I could ask for that same ring in 5 different stores and get seven options? They all might have different size, cut, clarity, etc. The setting might be different. It just seems as if comparing prices is almost impossible unless you're a jeweler, and know how much the real difference is between each option, and how much the dealer is charging in markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I know this is probably a terribly broad question, but how much should I expect to pay for a 1 karat diamond that's "suitable" for an engagement ring?

• Locked thread