Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jul 3, 2004

careful!

reborn posted:

I hadn't seen something about it in the OP but I'm on the hunt for a men's band that I like. My biggest issue is deciding on a metal. I'm not looking for anything to set stones in. There are so many metals out there that they throw at you and I'm not really sure of their pro's and con's.

Platinum
Titanium
Tungsten
White Gold
Silver
Meteorite (WTF?)

They are all whitish, but the color looks VERY different and different skin tones may make one metal look great and another look bad.

I look awful in silver, but my platinum band looks really good on my finger. My wife is the opposite. Silver looks better than any other metal on her finger.

Also, IMO, platinum looks the best when it is old, scratched, and has developed a patina, especially on a guy. I doubt I will ever get my ring repolished, as it just gets better looking as the years go by. Can't say the same for white gold (my wife's white gold jewelry needs to go back in for rhodium plating again eventually).

A good alternative to Platinum is palladium. The color is slightly whiter but also has a nice color, is lighter in weight, and much cheaper. And also is naturally white. My wife has a lot of palladium jewelry. She has a palladium chain that looks just like platinum... a beautiful darker/dull grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

combee posted:

Hey guys, a silly question on ring sizes if you don't mind!

I ordered a set of thin silver stacking rings from Etsy. I've ordered rings from other Etsy sellers, as well as measuring my fingers (which I know can be inaccurate for reasons I'll explain soon). Judging by my measurements and a ring of similar width, I guessed I was about an 8. The ring I have which is a size 8 fits me fine, firm but not too firm, doesn't dig in and can rotate on both my pointer and middle finger on both hands. However, I thought I could stand to go down a little bit so I ordered the stacking rings in 7 3/4.

I received the rings and there was a tiny defect, but the main thing was, it pinched in a bit too much on my pointer fingers, to the point where my pointer fingers were starting to turn a bit purple. I tried them on at various points of the day - when I woke up in the morning, during the day, after work, before bed. Obviously I ordered the rings a little smaller than the size 8 which fits well, and the reseller said she'd be happy to resize and inspect the defect, so the ring is on the way back to her.

However, reading around online, apparently fingers are prone to expansion due to humidity, body fluid retention, time of day and even the seasons. Now, it's spring (winter just ended) here, the size 8 band has fit me fine for the past month or so (at times it gets a tiny bit tight, but not uncomfortably so like the stacking rings were), however I am worried that come summer my fingers will get wide and the rings will be too tight. So my question is, should I get the stacking rings resized to size 8 (which I know fits me well in winter), or should I go a tiny bit bigger to account for possible finger expansion in summer?

I've bought stacking rings from Etsy. They recommend stacking rings to be sized a half step or more higher due to the greater total width of rings. So it might be best to go 8.5. Going down in size with stackers definitely would cause problems so i am not surprised.

80k fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 11, 2010

• Locked thread