Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen Of Spades
Jul 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recently got engaged, and we're currently looking for an engagement ring.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about black diamonds? It seems they don't seem to have the same ratings normal diamonds have, and I was wondering what to look for.

I was looking at something maybe like http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4343520&kpc=1
but I have no idea what the price range on these things should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Of Spades
Jul 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JohnnyRnR posted:

That price is fair for a black diamond of that size in a simple mounting. 99.9% of all black diamonds that you see will be clarity and color enhanced to give them an even jet black color. They originally started their life as a white diamond with lots of black inclusions or a diamond that was so white as to be opaque. They are not rated for clarity and color like other types of diamonds.

The only things to look for on black diamonds are: Is the color even? Is the texture smooth.

Awesome, thanks for your input. Ive been jumping between this and something like http://www.moissaniteco.com/round-moissanite-modern-designer-style-engagement-ring-p-9074.html for my engagement ring, but its so hard to pick one!

Queen Of Spades
Jul 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If I was looking to get a moissanite ring custom made from a jeweller and they dont carry them in store, should it be pretty easy to have them order one for a ring? Or am I better just trying to find something online?

Ive been looking at something like http://www.moissaniteco.com/round-moissanite-modern-designer-style-engagement-ring-p-9074.html but being in Canada has me worried about crazy custom fees and duties. Would I be able to get one even made for that price, or is that going to be roughly the best I find?

Queen Of Spades
Jul 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you wanted to go about making jewelry as a hobby, how in the hell would you learn? Nothing really with stones, but Id be interested in learning how to do...metalwork? I dont know what its called. I guess what my goal would be is being able to make things like necklace pendants, rings, and bracelets out of metal.

Where the hell would you go to learn how to do this?

Queen Of Spades
Jul 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JohnnyRnR posted:

Jewelry school. Lots of great options, but the one I've always heard great things about is the Revere Academy in San Francisco. Some local goldsmiths will take apprentices for a fee, but that situation has a lot of potential pitfalls.

drat, so nothing really for someone just wanting to be a hobbyist? I live in Winnipeg, so not a lot of jewelry schools from what I can see. I mostly just wanted to make big gently caress-off necklaces or bracelets; no precious stones or anything. drat :(

Guess I can try to find another hobby to try!

• Locked thread