Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Coca Koala posted:

I'm starting to look for some jewelry to celebrate my one year anniversary with my girl.

She's told me that she really likes the look of what I can best describe as a faceted teardrop. Searching on google for that gives me beads that look superficially similar to what I want.

Ideally, I'd like to find a pair of amethyst earrings or something with that faceted teardrop look. Should I just walk into a local jeweler and tell them exactly that, and they can help me out? Is there some special term I should be mentioning, or something I should be looking at online? Is this the sort of request that I should shoot JohnnyRnR a message about?

Does she want a pear shape, or a briolette? Briolettes are when it's more like a three dimensional tear drop and looks like a drop from all sides, pears are when it looks like a tear drop from the front but as you tilt it you can see the pavilion is faceted to a point. Regardless, you can google both shapes and see which one she means. Honestly, although you can have a jeweler custom make very nice amethyst earrings for you, amethyst is pretty common and you should be able to find what you need just by walking into a store or googling what you want online.

Then again I get all of my stuff custom made because I'm a snob so I'm certainly not frowning on that route, it mostly depends upon how much you're looking to spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Calef posted:

I came thinking to post an Ask thread about the following, but instead I'll post it here:

What is the best way to go about getting some custom (bespoke) jewelry? For instance if I have a particular design for a ring in mind, do I just walk into any jewelry store with a bunch of drawings and ask how much it'll cost? Can this type of thing be done online, or do I need to find some unique and highly expensive specialty shop? Lastly, what kind of incremental markup would you expect for customized jewelry, double? 500%?

I can't be the only goon who's ever had this problem but Search only really showed me this thread.
You can get custom designed jewelry done in a couple of ways. You can certainly work with an online jeweler and email them designs you have, or you can go around to local jewelers and see what they can do for you. Custom is pretty common now that you can do computer imaging to render the piece and then print out the wax, and chances are you can find a place wherever you live that does custom jewelry without too much trouble.

As for the mark up, that's a much trickier question because it depends what you're using as a basis for comparison. For example, if you walk into a brick and mortar jewelry store and they have a ring in the case that looks exactly like the one you want except you want one or two tiny details changed, a couple of things can happen:

Your custom piece may be vastly more expensive because the ring you're looking at was made in hong kong, and to custom make it here costs more because of the price of labor. OR, the ring you're looking at could have been made here by their goldsmith a week ago, in which case it you really should be paying the same price for the piece in the case vs. the custom version, plus or minus a few dollars depending upon the changes you want to the design. OR, the ring you're looking at was crafted when metal prices were higher and so it's tagged at a certain price to recover that cost, but to custom make the ring for you now would be cheaper since you'd be paying less for the base metal.

In short, comparing the cost of a custom piece to a piece of ready made jewelry is a difficult task because you've got to compare the factors of when and where the pieces were made, and how those factors are different relative to what you want done now. If you want an idea of what something costs, get more than one quote, but also be sure to see a gallery of the store's previous custom designs so you know what you're paying for.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JohnnyRnR posted:

Many socialites won't accept anything less than a 2 carat. I've heard of boyfriends being turned down on the proposal and sent back to the store to fetch a bigger diamond.

My favorite was always the girls who get proposed to, accept the ring, and then go behind the man's back to buy themselves a bigger diamond without him knowing about it. Hell, at least they're putting up the money to be flashy.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

grendelspov posted:

I've just been on BlueNile.com pricing out a ring for my girlfriend. She wants a 1 ct. center stone and I have noticed a lot of good cut, ok clarity, J colored stones in my price range. Is it true that J color looks great to the naked eye if the cut and polish are excellent?

It's like anything else, there are going to be beautiful Js and there are going to be less attractive Js, even within the perfect cut/polish range. I'd want to look at in person to be sure if it's good. But to answer your question, in a roundabout way, yes, J CAN look great if you get the right one.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

CaughtByTheRiver posted:

2) Is it bad for a stone to have a girdle that is "thick to extremely thick" or "thin to extremely thin"? What is the ideal here? Does a too large or too slim girdle effect light dispersion or is this more a concern when it comes to setting the diamond? Again, is this something I should even worry about?

4) I've heard rumors that some radiant diamonds are actually a "princess with the corners cut off" that are labeled as a radiant because then the seller can charge more for the stone. I know the basic differences between a radiant and princess cut (radiant has facets like a round brilliant and princess has linear facets that form an X appearance). Since most online websites don't provide actual pictures of the exact stones they offer, is there any other way to tell if a radiant is a true radiant and not a rebadged princess cut? Or should I just look for a GIA certificate that states the stone is a "cut-cornered modified brilliant" to be sure I'm getting a true radiant?

You've got a lot of content but I can grab the easy ones here.

2) The only truly "bad" girdle is an extremely thin, as a girdle that is extremely thin all of the way around is going to more prone to chippage. A thicker girdle can take a little more punishment. However, above that it gets a little grayer. There's ideal %s just like everything else, especially with round, but it all comes down to looking at the diamond and using your best judgment. For example, is the girdle relatively even all of the way around, or is it wavy like a weird circus tent? The most even girdles are either going to have one rating, ie medium, or two close ratings, ie thin to medium. If you have a girdle going very thin to slightly thick, you're going to have a girdle that's razor thin in one place and much bulkier in another. This can occasionally work if the diamond was otherwise masterfully faceted, but usually detracts from the look.

As for overall thickness, your technically correct girdle would be medium all of the way around, but the diamond isn't going to be impacted if it's thin to medium or slightly thin to slightly thick, or some slim variance like that. The thickness gets worrysome if its too big - in an extreme case, extremely thick all of the way around. Again, nothing is wrong with the diamond, per se, you just have to realize that more of the weight of the diamond is hiding out in the middle section and therefore the spread on the top is smaller. For example, if you have a one carat round diamond with a medium girdle, all other factors being as good as they are, you might have a 6.4mm round. If you have that same diamond, same carat weight and same cut with a thicker girdle, you might find it has a face-up diameter of 6.35 or even lower. Again, this is fine, you won't die from it, but you'll find yourself in the unenviable position of paying for weight you can't see. Purchase accordingly.

4) In the technical sense, there are two kinds of radiant cuts. The Original Radiant Cut, which is a cut cornered modified brilliant cut diamond, is a patented diamond cut that can only be purchased from ORCD vendors (or a jeweler who happens to have one or two lying around). The other kind, the kind everybody talks about, is your standard Radiant cut. Just like there are Royal Asschers and there are generic Asschers, your standard Radiant cut is for all intents and purposes the same as the ORC, just perhaps not cut to the same standard. The facet pattern is going to be similar, the critical angles are going to be similar, and the outline is going to be similar.

What the radiant is not, however, is the princess cut - neither the ORC nor the standard radiant bare any resemblance to a princess cut above the superficial level. Aside from the obvious cut corners, the radiant and the princess have different facet patterns on both the crown and pavilion, different sized girdles, and vastly different crown heights. The difference in crown height is probably the easiest to see. A princess is cut on top to look a bit like an ice rink; there's almost no height from the top of the girdle to the top of the table, and the table itself is far larger than the table on any other commonly cut diamond. This means you can look straight down at a princess and see almost no faceting on top, and straight down into the pavilion. A radiant has a taller crown and a smaller table, and will bear more of a resemblance to an oval on top than it will a princess. Well, not really an oval, but it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison so I'm making a reach here.

The odds that someone is going to try and jam you with a cut cornered princess when you want a radiant is extremely low, given that a) most jewelers are good people, and b) there's not too many cut cornered princesses. I've seen maybe two in my lifetime, both resulting from regular princesses that had to be repaired after a corner got chipped. For what it's worth, they're not bad looking, but they're still a princess on the inside. Therefore, in the highly unlikely event that someone DOES have a cut cornered princess and IS out to sell it without full disclosure, you shouldn't have a big problem telling the difference if you just look at the height of the top half of the diamond and compare it to most other modified brilliants. If you really think a jewelers trying to stiff you, ask to see a regular princess and a regular radiant, and decide for yourself which it looks like more. But like I said, nobody's out to get you, and by and large you shouldn't have to worry. You ask for a radiant, chances are you're going to see a radiant.

EDIT: Looking at the GIA cert also helps since they should say what it is and also show a diagram of what the crown and pavilion look like.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 21, 2010

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
That's how I clean all of my jewelry, just water, detergent, and a very soft toothbrush. Diamonds and white gold can be steam cleaned or cleaned in an ultrasonic with whatever fluid is in there (don't remember off of the top of my head), but home cleaning really is just as simple as soap, water, and light scrubbing to get out the gunk.

edit Actually ultrasonic fluid might wear down rhodium over time but most people rarely ultrasonic their jewelry so that should be ok every so often. I'm sure Johnny's got better advice on this than I do.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 17, 2010

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Progression Please posted:

I have a Diamond I will be putting in a band. This is the band:

http://www.itshot.com/14k-gold-diamond-engagement-ring-mounting-034ct-p-24115.aspx

My girl didn't like what the local stores had to offer and thought that the internet was competant with the catalogs they have in store. Is there a general consensus on https://www.itshot.com

I don't know anything about itshot but I'm reluctant to think highly of any product that has a whole tab for videos of D-list celebrities doing promotions.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Nelsocracy posted:

Would anybody be able to give me some advice on this ring? My girlfriend seemed interested in getting a ring, so I'm going to get one for her for her birthday. It isn't an engagement ring or anything, and I don't want it to look like one either.

I've found this one, which looks pretty good to me: http://www.etsy.com/listing/61657955/before-sunrise

Does that seem reasonable? The price $95 price tag seems high to me since it is only silver, and semiprecious stones. If anybody has any other suggestions for something similar, that would be great too.

Oh, another thing. Is it bad to get somebody a birthstone that isn't theirs? Hers is amethyst but I think the Peridot or Citra would look better.

When it comes to silver jewelry, you're paying more for the original design/labor/artist's overhead than you ever are for the stones or the metal. Maybe it would cost you twenty bucks to buy the basic elements to make the ring, but you'd have nothing but a lump of silver and unset stone. I'd say the price tag is fair since it's a hand made piece and an original design. Cool ring, by the way.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Zratha posted:

Great thread! I recently started taking gemmology classes and I am totally loving it.

ps. There are 5 carats to a gram so find out the weight of a tangerine and you will have your answer.

That's assuming corundum and tangerine have the same specific gravity, which they don't. A ruby the size of a tangerine would likely be heavier but since I don't know the specific gravity of tangerine, I couldn't tell you for sure.

Edit I actually got curious and looked this up. Your average tangerine, according to some paper I just googled, is going to have a specific gravity of around 0.9 (so it about 90% as dense as water). Corundum, meanwhile, has a specific gravity of 4, give or take, so if you take the weight of an average tangerine, which I'm going to take to be about 85 grams, and apply the specific gravity of corundum, you get a ruby that weighs about 375g for occupying the space. Multiply that by five and you get a carat weight of 1,875cts, which, while not unheard of, would make it one of the world's largest rubies and utterly priceless if the crystal was of any kind of quality.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 8, 2011

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Yeah I'd have thought they'd be denser than water myself but it makes sense that they're pretty close. Guess we all learn something new today.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Just shooting from the hip here, I'd say what you're asking is definitely possible, but it might take you some time to find what you're looking for. Truth be told, even though I worked as a jeweler for a few years somewhat recently, I still don't know much about palladium because none of my goldsmiths were willing to work with it. One was, maybe, but they much preferred gold or platinum. Just going off of hearsay - Johnny or anyone else, feel free to correct me - but it is a tad more brittle and that makes all the difference when setting a stone or bending a prong into place. Plus you have to get all new supplies to work with an all new metal, and most jewelers aren't going to do that if they don't think the demand is there. Which, from what I've seen, it isn't really since palladium just doesn't have a strong marketing campaign behind it.

Were I you, I'd start looking at custom jewelers online and getting quotes from all the designers you can find. There's only so much that someone can bullshit you through an email, and it's a lot easier to talk to more people and filter out the bad info when it takes you five minutes to send out your request.

On a non palladium related note, do you know exactly how you want to set your sapphire? Trillions aren't a common shape for engagement rings (or most other rings) and you're probably going to have to do some hand holding during the customization process or you'll end up with something you don't like. Be prepared to be firm with people and don't be afraid to be super specific with what you want, as long as you aren't bitchy about it. Having pictures of what you want helps too.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Dead Pikachu posted:

Also, what is the general consensus on moissanite? To get a ring within our budget (1k) we'd have to get a tiny diamond. The gemologist said we should consider moissanite because it's nearly impossible to tell the difference. Nobody would know it wasn't a real diamond.

If she's cool with it and you're cool with it, go ahead and get moissanite. It looks just as nice as a diamond and you can get a much bigger look for the price. No one will ever call you out on it, and on the off chance they do, they're an rear end and their opinion doesn't matter.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

KillHour posted:

She has a larger wrist (I'd need an 8" bracelet), so I know I'll be paying a little more for that. Does $1000-1200 sound reasonable for a budget? What could I expect to get in that range?

To be blunt? You can expect a real piece of poo poo. Check any place online, and you're going to be looking at at least $1,500 for the privilege of buying a <1ct total weight, sterling silver bracelet with HIJ I3 stones - and it will most definitely be 7". For what you want - an 8" GSI2, metal not specified - you're looking at more than $4,000, easy.

The thing that's tripping you up is the idea that the biggest cost is in the metal. There's a decent amount of metal in a tennis bracelet, but you're paying way more for the diamonds and the labor. The smaller the stones, the less they cost, but then you've got more stones to set in the bracelet.

Let's say, for the sake of math, you're making a tennis bracelet with 100 .01ct stones. Say your goldsmith is charging you $5 per stone to set them, plus you're paying $300-400 for the diamonds. You've got to charge almost $1,000 right there just to make up the cost of the goods. Add in the cost of the metal, which is going to be at least another $300-400, and you're at $1,400. Since your jeweler isn't going to sell it to you at his cost (because, you know, he needs to be able to pay his staff and his bills), he's probably going to end up doubling the price to cover all his expenses. Hence, you end up with a $2,800 bracelet full of extremely tiny diamonds.

You can't really do a tennis bracelet with diamonds that small (unless they're illusion set, and even then I think they're a little small for the true tennis look), so your cost per diamond is going to go up as the size of your diamonds increases. Your setting cost goes down because there aren't as many diamonds, true, but the exponential rise in the price of the stones will more than offset any savings you gain from using fewer stones.

To make a long story short, I bet you can find someone to sell you a tennis bracelet for what you want to pay, but you're not going to like what you get. You're far better off putting that same amount of money towards a nicer 'diamonds by the yard' style bracelet, or something else that isn't quite so stone-intensive. Alternatively you could try moissanite and get a bracelet similar to what she wants (quick search found this: http://www.moissaniteco.com/round-moissanite-bracelet-33ct-25mm-14k-wy-p-6091.html ), but that's still a little outside your price range and if she has her heart set on a diamond, it may not make her happy.

I hope I didn't come off like Sally Dreamcrusher here (and my numbers may be wrong since I've been out of the industry for some time now), but I'd rather be straight with you instead of seeing someone sell you something you don't want.

Also if somehow Johnny swoops in and makes a tennis bracelet for you for $1200 and saves Christmas, disregard everything I just said!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

KillHour posted:

She wants it because it's a "statement piece."

Tell her that in the year of our lord 2013 there is no greater statement one can make than disregarding corporate marketing bullshit in favor of sound financial decision making.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JohnnyRnR posted:

For a ruby report take the stone to the PGS Gem Lab. They're on the row in Chicago. Good people who can give you an honest independent opinion.

If you want RED then you need a great ruby, a top color spinel, or a synthetic stone. The natural options are not cheap: Because they're so rare they are in strong demand. I have a 3ct round, top color red spinel and I'm asking $12,500 for it (and it's already mounted in a fine custom ring). The price of the best qualities in colored gemstones are one of the reasons why diamond engagement rings are so popular; you can get a nice diamond for a lot less than an awesome gemstone.

I can vouch for PGS as well. I've worked with them in the past and they're pretty good at giving you straightforward, no bullshit opinions.

Johnny's right about the red. True red is wicked rare in the gem world, and doubly so in the affordable bracket. I've seen some killer garnets that have great red coloration with only a hint of brown, but based on my experience it's gonna be pretty drat unlikely that you can find a garnet like that in chicago. There isn't much of a colored stone scene here, unfortunately; there just isn't the demand. I know a few people who travel through chicago who might have stones like that, but nobody working full time in the city.

I'd tell you to find a jeweler who can get you a synthetic ruby on short notice. They're not expensive and they're the best of the best when it comes to true reds. They're also free of inclusions so they're more durable than the majority of their natural counterparts. Failing that, I don't know hat else I'd recommend you do on such a short schedule. My gut says you should wait on the proposal until you get a ring you're really comfortable with, but If you feel like this is the right moment, then the jewelry doesn't matter.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What's a decent price (ballpark) for bumping a sterling silver ring up from around a 7 to around a 12.5?

I know that adds a lot of material, and the jeweler has to make $$$ as well, but I just wanted to check with some other people before lobbing cash out blindly.

I'm in the US, and the band is maybe 4-5mm.

I have no idea what that would cost these days but going up to almost twice the size is a tall order since it changes the fundamental circular structure of the ring. Is this a plain band or are there stones set in it?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Evil Robot posted:

You must be better at this than I am. Staring at this diamond in direct sunlight I was unable to see hints of color...

Can you guess what color grade it got?

Well, what grade did it get? Suspense is killing me!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JohnnyRnR posted:

I was digging through some photos and was reminded of one of my favorite rings today. It's a pinkish-red Rubelite Tourmaline from Nigera.

10 years ago a single 40 kilo crystal was found. One gigantic mass of gem material about the size of a window air conditioner. Just a stunning find, and when a crystal grows that large the center mass tends to have a very strong color concentration. So this material has a significantly higher quality than any other I've seen.

I was able to buy the first five pieces from the collection. And of the five gems this five carat cushion is the finest one.

It's funny to see that ring, because I got a cushion cut rubellite about 5 years ago (cut by Stephen Avery, I think) and set it in the exact same style. I went and looked in my old photos folder and I actually had a photo of the stone unmounted, which is pretty cool. It's on the dark side but I've always liked the cut and it's one of my favorite rings. Glad to see we have similar taste!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

goodness posted:

And here is a picture of that wonderful Alexandrite in an engagement ring you talk about in the OP

Oh god I don't even want to know what this ring costs. It's like 25k+, right?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

SMDFTB posted:

Asking for more advice on another diamond:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.07-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-176481

I'm looking at placing that in this setting:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channel-set/platinum-0.25ct-channel-set-princess-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-2105

Because the channel stones are a different color (H-I) than the center stone, will that make a difference? They told me it wouldn't, and they also told me the diamond linked above was visually perfect and I wouldn't see anything that shows on the certificate...just want to get a few other people's takes...

I can see multiple inclusions as marked on the cert at the 20x blow-up, but that's a hell of a lot bigger than how a diamond looks when it's sitting on your hand. I highly doubt you'll be able to see the inclusions in the stone during day to day wear. Also fwiw, I can only see the inclusions easily because I've spent a lot of time looking at diamonds and notice little things like distortion in the facet pattern (like what the feather is doing in the top right corner of the video/bottom left corner of the cert). Your average person is never going to notice something like that and it doesn't detract from the diamond's visual appeal at all.

As for the color, the difference between G and HI is narrow enough to fall in between a grader's margin of error. There's no way you'll notice a difference between the stones in the setting and the stone in the center.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

AlbieQuirky posted:

The argument is that they have low/no resale value, which, holy gently caress, like natural gems have reliable resale value :whoptc:

It's not that they have no resale value, it's just that you'll never recover what you paid. They're like cars. People still buy cars every day knowing full-well that they cut the value in half the second they pull it off the lot because it suits their purposes.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

SMDFTB posted:

Hopefully the last post from me...

What about this diamond?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.21-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1099280

It's *slightly* bigger, seems to have less inclusions, but I worry about the fluorescence. The online gemologist said it doesn't appear hazy and won't be blue in natural light, but I'm not sure if he's being a salesman or a gemologist.

If you guys had to pick between the two, which would you go for and why? The gem guy was saying the bigger one has a much better combo between table and depth and gives it a more lively appearance so the fire would be better, for whatever that is worth.

Here was the first one linked: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.07-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-176481

Well, you're getting something noticeably bigger for essentially the same price, so that's good. Re: the fluorescence, the fluorescent gem does appear to be whiter than the inert one, which is interesting because they both have the same color of G. I can't tell if that's because of the fluoro or a simple color grading discrepancy, however, and the difference is small enough that I'd say it's more or less a moot point.

If I had to pick one? This is a tough call. If I were strictly buying online and couldn't see both diamonds next to each other, I'd buy the 1.07 because it's a mathematically safer bet. It's closer to the ideal square, the girdle is even, I don't give a poo poo about the inclusions, and I happen to like a small table. I also wouldn't trust a call on haziness from fluoro without seeing it myself, and I'm too drat lazy to buy a diamond I'm unsure about just so I can look at it and send it back. If I'm going to buy something, I'm not doing the whole 'consideration period' thing; I'm buying it because I want to keep it.

If I could see both in person in a store, however, I would probably make the opposite call and end up buying the 1.21. The fluoro probably isnt a big deal, I doubt the rectangular shape or wavy girdle makes a visible difference, and it's larger in both carat weight and face-up size. It's not a stone I would personally buy sight-unseen, but I'm betting that if I saw it in person, I'd buy it over the 1.07.

Ultimately, I guess what I'm saying is that I think the 1.07 is the 'safer' purchase, but if you're willing to get the 1.21 and look at it to see if the potential issues don't matter, then it's probably the better buy in terms of value. Either way, they're both good stones with solid grades and certs, so you can't gently caress up regardless of the choice you make.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Scarodactyl posted:

While blue fluorescence is rated as a flaw by the strict (and artificial) guidelines of the diamond trade, I've always thought of it more as a desperately-needed bit of personality.

Sometimes it looks really badass, sometimes it does give the diamond a little bit of a greasy look in the wrong light. Fluoro is super weird.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

SMDFTB posted:

Will it be pretty easy for an untrained eye like myself to tell?

If you have a very clean diamond with no fluoro next to it, yes. If you're staring at a questionable diamond on its lonesome, no. The greasiness imparted by fluoro isn't so prominent that you'll notice it on it's own; it's only when you compare it to another diamond that doesn't have that quality that you can really see it.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Finished this sweet piece for a fellow goon:

I'm crazy about that shank. Do you have pictures of this from any other angles?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Madbullogna posted:

I likely missed it and am sure it's been covered, but......

What's the best way to go about getting a wedding ring re-sized, (it needs to go up about a half size). My husband and I bought our bands at Helzberg, (I know, I know), and had them send them off for the inscription as well. His is currently a 5.5 and needs to go to a 6. I understand the best way is to cut a piece out and add to it, (compared to stretching), and that we'll have to have the inscription redone again too. We have a 'lifetime warranty' through Helzberg that does the repairs and cleaning every 6 months, so I might have to stay with them for any resizes to keep that active. But if not, what's my best option?

It's nothing extravagant, but I still worry about the settings getting shifted and loose if we pick the wrong place to do the work. Obligatory pic below.

Normally I'd say 'just find a local jeweler and have them do the resize', but I'm almost positive you're right about the warranty. There's probably a million bullshit clauses in there that break the warranty; taking it somewhere else for a resize is one of the big ones. The whole point of those lifetime warranties from chain stores is that they get the best return when you nullify the thing after shelling out the extra money for it.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

pogothemonkey0 posted:

That's not a bad idea. What constitutes "on the cheap," by the way? I have zero frame of reference for the cost of jewelry. I really like the design of this piece but $300 for such a simple ring seems way too high for me. Is that just designer markup?

EDIT: I feel like this came out weird... I didn't mean to sound as if I discount the value of design, materials, and labor, I just meant that I've seen similarly-sized silver rings for much cheaper and I don't know the cause of the price difference.

Without seeing the other rings you've looked at, I'd say some of it's designer markup and some of it's the varying densities of the designs. The ring you posted looks very solid, which means it requires a decent amount of silver. Some similar rings may be hollowed out underneath, which means they look the same from up top but require far less metal. It's little things like weight that can make a huge difference in price and feel.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Total spitball number here, but I'd say you're looking at $1000 to $1500 depending upon whether it's heated or unheated. That's assuming it's a pretty standard Ceylon blue - obviously you're going to pay less if you go overly light or dark, or more if you're going for some neon Kashmir poo poo.

Also does it have to be round? There's nothing wrong with rounds, per se, but there are so many more oval/cushion cut sapphires out there that you'll have a much easier time finding something in the size and quality you want.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Scarodactyl posted:

This is probably more what you're after, though, in terms of quality. They can be downright enchanting, with a really attractive glow. They range all the way from yellow to a weird red (different enough from a typical ruby that they are usually sold as 'red sapphire') with all sorts of oranges, peaches, pinks and orange-pinks in between.

Those are a lot nicer than any Be sapphires I've ever seen. The ones I usually come across look like they got carved out of old traffic cones, complete with specks of torn-up asphalt.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Dienes posted:

I apologize in advance if this isn't the best place to ask. About a decade ago, I was given a ring as a gift from a family member, who passed recently. Unfortunately, the ring was a cheap (~$30) silver wrap ring and broke from heavy wear. I would be so happy if I could replace it. This ring was ubiquitous at various shops at the time I got it, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere now.

The ring in question:

I guess I'm looking for advice on where to look, search terms to use, etc. "Dragon Wrap Ring" brings up thousands of results, none of which are the correct one. Am I just hosed?

Edit: I have the top half, but not the tail.

Always bet on Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/listing/492491...f=sr_gallery_17

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Dienes posted:

That's it! Holy cow, that price tag is a bit more than I expected. :eyepop:

Yeah the listing seems like BS given that they're calling it a unique piece of vintage jade - which, lol - but it was the right ring so I figured I'd link it anyway.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Colour wise it isn't that they aren't as "ideal", it's more they're just not as popular. So many more single colour rings get made than two tone, and of those two tone rings most will be a yellow shank (ring part) and white head (claws or bezel).

Adding to this, there's one time you'll frequently see the opposite (white shank/yellow head) and that's in yellow diamond settings. The white shank makes a nice contrast and the yellow head brings out the yellow in the diamond. Definitely one of my favorite looks.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Cut a Montana sapphire last week, 1.855ct and definitely one of the nicest pears I've done! I'm also through the roof at material return...got 47% out. I don't think I'll be beating that for a while haha

That's a great color for a Montana sapphire. The ones I usually see tend to be darker/more grey, but that almost looks like an unheated aqua. Very pretty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Xun posted:

Just remember that half a carat of diamond is not the same size as half a carat of sapphire! You probably already know but I've seen some ppl gently caress that up

It's a fair thing to gently caress up, since it's not intuitive to people who don't have a reason to think about things like specific gravity on a regular basis. It doesn't help that corundum is probably one of the densest commonly-used gems.

• Locked thread