Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Doghouse posted:

What exactly is the range of what is considered a "normal" quality/size/price of a diamond to get for an engagement ring for a normal, middle class person? What is the expectation?

Johnny gave a much fuller response than I can, but I will contribute that ultimately, the most important thing is expectations. Figure out what she wants and what makes her happy, and work with that. (Preserve the surprise by going through a sister or mother, if you'd like.)

I have some questions. They're mostly academic, since I've got a friend in the business, but I'm curious.

How important is a GIA Cert when buying a diamond? One jeweler I spoke to said they don't really matter, and my friend said that they're always good to have since they take away guesswork.

Is GIA laser inscription on the girdle as pointless as I've been led to believe?

My friend actually got out a jeweler's microscope (not just a loupe) to show me the flaws in my (well, my fiancee's) diamond. It was helpful to go up to higher magnifications when I couldn't see whatever pinpoint flaws the GIA found under 10x. Is this really special treatment, or should any jeweler do this if asked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I'm never making fun of my fianceé for taking off her engagement ring ever again. Jesus.

Content; What's the best way to clean a diamond ring, white gold setting? Random Google searches told us a very mild mix of water and dishwasher detergent works fine with a soft bristle toothbrush, and I'm inclined to think the diamond will survive whatever, but I'd rather the setting makes it through too.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

The 1 month salary ring is ridiculous and I hope to hell that people aren't actually taken in by that.

Thanks to being a full time student, the ring I proposed with was ∞% of my monthly income! :woop:

• Locked thread