Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Hello - read through this thread on and off, but there's a LOT of information so apoligies if these things have been answered.

I'd like to propose to my girlfriend in the summer of next year and having done some thinking, I think buying a loose diamond and letting her choose the setting would be my best bet for various financial and personal reasons.

However, my first question is that I have access to someone who can get jewellery at trade prices. They reckon that they can get pretty much any jewellery at the big name UK shops for about 1/3 of the price. Is that worth looking at, or does it just bring the prices down to the same as doing it seperately and with 'proper' jewellers.

Secondly, is http://www.bluenile.co.uk/ a reasonable place to get a loose diamond? I love their site and the selection process, but I really have no idea if I'm getting ripped off or not!

Finally, what kind of money should I be spending on the band. I'll be saving about £600 for the diamond, and once she knows, can probably put the same again for the setting + fitting. Is this about right - can I get a nice setting for that? I know her taste will be something very plain and modern - probably white gold or similar. Also, where should I be buying this from and what search terms can I use to get just the setting.

For some context, what are your thoughts on something like this:

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamond-search?filter_id=0&track=head#diamonds_pid=LD01830421

hermand fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

JohnnyRnR posted:

That should be a pretty stone with best color and high clarity, but it has a medium blue fluorescence. Fluor + a high color can sometimes looks hazy due to the UV reaction. The effect depends on the stone.

You'll be able to find a fine setting for £600 at almost any retailer. Your friend offering 33% of retail really depends on the product and the shop so I can't say if it's a valid deal or not.

I that website ok? I have concerns with the way that they do business. They have their diamonds drop shipped from suppliers, and never actually see the stones. A lot of overseas manufacturers use the "spreadsheet shopping" websites to sell inventory that educated dealers won't buy. Just like the diamond you linked: It has a potential problem, but they don't bother to notify the consumer of a valid concerns.

What part of the UK are you in? I do know a few dealers there that would be willing to sell you a diamond.

Thanks for the info - I'll have a read up on the fluorescence.

Here's an example of the type of store I was told he could get trade prices for:

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/categories/diamond-rings/engagement-rings?cm_sp=Top+Nav-_-Diamond+Rings-_-Engagement+Rings

I'm in the West Midlands (Dudley) - about 30 mins away from the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter

hermand fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 19, 2010

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Hi Guys,

I have an engagement ring that I need to get rid of - I don't know the history / cost of the ring itself, but I do have the GIA cert for the diamond itself:

0.37 Carat
Clarity: VS1
Color: E
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Flur: Faint

Proportions:
Depth: 63%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Medium

And I believe the ring is platinum, but I don't know how much it weighs or anything.

My questions are:

Should I sell them separately? Or will the stone get damaged extracting it?

If separate, how much should I expect for the diamond? How much together? To buy an equivalent stone form Blue Nile I'd be looking at £650 + 20% VAT. Would I get anything close to that?

I have a friend who is going to give me a price on the Platinum and can give me the full info on it, but they're not overly interested in diamonds.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Another but related question - a friend can get access to legit, but non certified diamonds through trade. Now, everything I've read says that I really should get certified diamonds (And I do class it as important) but the savings are absolutely huge.

So, should I trust them? (I trust my friend completely, but he's not a diamond expert either)

Would it be reasonable / feasible to buy a diamond on the understanding it is what they say, and get it certified myself - and agree that if it's less they either adjust the price or refund me?

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

JohnnyRnR posted:

:words:

Thanks for your input, Johnny. In the interests of fairness, I should've pointed out that my friend works IT in a company that deals in precious metals and are situated right in the middle of a large cluster of jewellers. So, yeah, I'm confident there's no scam, but I'm also going to say no for the reasons you state.

Do you have any advice on selling the other ring? I took it some jewellers local to me (Though all but one were chains, and not 'proper') and they weren't interested in the diamond at all and would only offer me a little for the metal.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

JohnnyRnR posted:

Look right above you. :)

Thanks Johnny :) If I can get £500 I'll be totally chuffed. The best offer I had today was £200, and the others were all <£100.

Very irritating when you think what it would cost to buy.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Hi guys - assuming the winner pays up, I'm now in a position to buy a loose Diamond for my girlfriend (Soon to be hopefully fiancée).

I have two quick questions. Firstly, in real life, would a 'normal' person tell the difference between, say, E & H? I don't mean side my side.

Secondly, is the Blue Nile Signature stuff worth it? I want to say no, but I can't help but be drawn by the shiny.

Here's a Signature Diamond:

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamond-search?pt=sig&filter_id=0#diamonds_pid=LD02236762

vs.

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02358926

Thing is, I don't think there's any noticeable difference between 0.41 and 0.46ct, but maybe it is worth going slightly larger?

I've got an absolute max of £700 budget + VAT (And this really is the most I can physical spend) if anyone would care to chime in.

Hoping to get it in before Christmas, but we'll see.

Thanks all!

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
That's perfect, thanks. Looks like I'm buying my first ever diamond tomorrow! Hoping for a Christmas engagement, but that's obviously reliant on the post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Ordered! Went for the Signature as I could still get that before Christmas and I can always swap it if we decide it's not worth it. Ignoring the signature thing it still looks a good diamond, though!

Thanks Johnny :)

hermand fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 21, 2011

• Locked thread