Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I have a question about a setting. About seven years ago when I purchased my class ring, it came in a setting I really liked, but haven't seen anywhere else. It has four prongs and two 'straps' over a marquise-cut sapphire that is probably artificial. Are there any similar settings for engagement rings? I know they traditionally show off the stones and it would probably be a waste to put a diamond in the same setting, but there might be something I haven't seen yet that looks similar. Here's the ring:

Also younger dumber me made a spelling error. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I just found out from my boyfriend we're going to look at engagement rings and I'm super excited, but have some questions. Are there any particular stores/chains I should avoid? We'd like to finance a ring if at all possible so my boyfriend can help improve his credit. Our budget is between 3 and 5k. I've read lots of places that chains and mall jewelry stores have huge markups and not always great quality, so I'd like to avoid that.

Personally, I would like a custom ring, or barring that, a solitaire (not necessarily a diamond) in a very simple setting (maybe with some filigree?) but the boy seems pretty set on doing something that will help improve his credit. I've seen some designer collection rings that I rather like, but I'm lost when it comes to estimating value over cost.

Johnny, I suppose it's too much to hope that you do financing? I love the simplistic elegance of a lot of your designs. If not, could you recommend someone similar that does? My favourites are the wren's foot, the nest, and the dotted vines.

edit: I've seen some really pretty rings on Amazon, and they offer financing, but I don't feel like there's any way to verify what I'd be getting.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

john mayer posted:

You have two separate issues here. Most places are going to give you one of two options. Layaway is not going to report on your credit. Financing is going to report on your credit but also be a store credit card in most cases. A store credit card isn't a good way to improve credit for the most part. Tell your boyfriend to deal with his credit problems with a financial planner and not with your engagement.

His credit is pretty good already; we're just looking at different ways to improve it further in a number of different ways (using our credit cards instead of cash with the cash set aside to pay the balance at the end of the month, etc), which is why we wanted to finance rather than layaway. Thanks for the advice though!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

JohnnyRnR posted:

I don't offer financing and I encourage customers to steer well clear of it. Unless you're an ultra high net worth individual making a large purchase you will not get good terms.

Jewelry store credit is almost always at 25% interest or at some low introductory rate that skyrockets (and applies retroactively) if you don't pay it off in a certain amount of time. There are plenty of other tricks that make it appear that you're getting much better finance terms, but they're all behind the scenes slight of hand with the banks.

All right, thanks for the advice. The boy seems pretty set on it but I'll show him this information and hopefully change his mind.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Sorry to bump, but I don't know if Johnny or one of you other knowledgeable goons missed this. Does this type of setting have a name? Would there be something similar that would be more appropriate for setting an engagement ring?

Also, I'm almost certain I've decided on moissanite for my engagement ring. If I can't get something similar to above made, would it be better to buy a separate stone and setting, or all in one? Are there any online dealers you all particularly recommend for moissanite in engagement stones? What should I expect to pay for one vs. a diamond of comparable size?

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 20, 2013

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Any goons currently selling loose gemstones? I'm going to order my moissanite from the site recommended earlier, and I think I think I've finally picked out how I want my ring to look, but am having an issue finding something pre-made so will be looking into a custom piece. Johnny or anyone else, can you be on the lookout for a couple of close to matching pear (or even trillion cut) sapphires? They wouldn't have to necessarily be super high quality.

This is the kind of ring I want- relatively simple, but I want a round center stone and the stones swapped (moissanite in the middle, the sapphires as the pears). I'm going to start hunting for a local jeweler that does custom work, and convinced the boy out of financing. So, two hopefully final questions- since almost all moissanite is lab-created, do you no longer see the green tinge in a lot of it? I personally find it really pretty and it is not something I would mind having at all in my ring, but I am not sure of its prevalence these days. Secondly, I know it was mentioned earlier that moissanite weighs differently than diamond and is usually measured by face- if I wanted to get an 8mm moissanite, about what size sapphires would I need for the side stones? I have fat little sausage fingers and while I don't want to be blinging out, I don't want something that looks little and sad because of vienna sausage digits. If I purchased all my stones individually, would a jeweler be willing to just custom-make the setting or will they want to sell me their own stones?

edit: Sorry for all the questions I know I've been asking in the past few days guys, I've read through the thread before but not in a while and am just super excited about getting new jewelry! (oh, and I guess about getting engaged too)

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 21, 2013

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

EVG posted:

Oh hi!

My engagement ring was (is) moissanite, not enhanced, and I LOVE it. I constantly get compliments on how lovely and sparkly it is. I didn't get it as a diamond replacement/ fill it, so I love it for exactly what it is.

At the time my husband worked for a jewelry manufacturer and his boss knew "The Moissainite Guy" apparently. He says "Charles and colvard is the company that makes them. I think they have a retail website at moissanite.com."

Can't resist plugging my ring: (photo'd using fancy equipment for jewelry pics from the shop)

Tension set in titanium with a platinum band, from https://www.boonerings.com (excellent customer service too).

This is super beautiful, congrats.

I actually have a question about moissanite that maybe Johnny could answer. From what I've read moissanite is lighter than diamond, and carat goes by weight, so a diamond and moissanite cut in the same way, the moissanite would have a larger table? Is there some sort of standard equation for determining this? I know about the carat weight of the stone I would want were it a diamond, but I'm afraid the same thing in moissanite could end up looking ridiculously huge, even on my sausage fingers. I finally picked out my setting today- the last thing we need is the center moissanite. :)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I was planning on getting my setting from Brilliant Earth... until they told me they only sell rings as a total unit, and won't sell me a setting unless it comes sized appropriately to one of their diamonds. Don't want a diamond, so that's out, but I'm really heartbroken about losing the setting. Can anyone recommend a similar retailer (Canadian preferred, but American is fine as well, just a bit more of a headache), where I could actually purchase the metal + the shoulder stones premounted and the center mount sized for my moissanite, or a place I could purchase an entirely empty setting of the right shape and size and just source my own sapphires? At this point I'm contemplating just finding a setting I like in a good metal, ripping out all the stones and having them replaced, and saying gently caress this all together.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mint Julep posted:

Grrl Anachronism, are there any local jewelers that would do custom work in your area? I went to a local jeweler in my town because I wasn't finding exactly what I wanted. They're designing a ring based off elements of settings I like and will give me a choice of sapphires prior to designing the ring/also told me that I could bring in my own stone.

I'm sure there are, I live in a relatively large city. That may be my only option. Well, at least that way I'd get to pick my own sapphires too! I like the purply ones best. :3:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I have a question about silver tarnish. My husband and I bought two hammered sterling silver bands that were identical, but mine starts to tarnish around the edges by the end of the day while he can go for days or weeks without it building up. Is it something to do with my body chemistry? Is there anything I can do to make it not tarnish so quickly?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

JohnnyRnR posted:

Sure. You can have any jeweler plate them with rhodium. It won't cost much and will be good for about a year.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

That colour changing sapphire ring! :swoon: Too bad I forgot to save for the sale.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm looking to replace a set of wedding bands with something a bit nicer, possibly white gold. I'd be looking for something simple- possibly textured in some way, but no gems in either. What is a reasonable amount to expect to spend?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Surec posted:

So it's taken me a while to make this post since it took me forever to set up the proposal for my girlfriend, but back in November I contacts Claes about putting together a ring for me. He was super helpful despite my constant pestering to add new bits and pieces off of rings I had found picture of, and was very clear in letting me know what would work and what wouldn't, and managed to rush it so I'd have it in hand when I went abroad to see my family.

The final result:

I really love the engraving work. So thanks, Claes!

Does this type of engraving (something similar was on Johnny's colour-changing sapphire ring he sold during the holiday sale iirc) have a specific name like milgrain does?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Is there a post in the thread that has a list of all the goon jewelers? I have Johnny's site, but I think there are a few others.

also, Johnny, I sent you an email about a custom ring earlier. :)

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 7, 2014

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What's the best way to wear a white gold ring as a necklace so it doesn't get scratched? It has engraving and milgrain I'd refer to avoid obliterating. It's set with a sapphire, but I think that part would be a bit more durable.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

JohnnyRnR posted:

I've been posting some fancier & more unique pieces to Instagram lately. (LINK)

I'm on vacation now but will resume posting in the next week or so.

Any chance when that you get back you could post a video of that quartz with the liquid petroleum in it? I didn't know you could get liquid deposits sealed in like that, that's so cool.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What would be the best way to preserve a couple of pieces of feathers to turn into jewelry? One of my birds passed and I'd like to keep a memento. Poured into resin in a cabochon-shaped mold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

JohnnyRnR posted:

Wanted to share something special (and not for sale) that you don't get to see every day.

This is a Chrome Sphene from Skardu, Pakistan. It is the finest example of chromium containing sphene that I've ever seen. Most sphene has a yellowish-green, yellow, or orange note. But in this one the green is pure, and under incandescent or candle light a strong RED pops out of any reflected light. It's amazing. It is the coolest thing to wear at night.

This type of material comes from a single mine high up in the mountings. Conditions are extremely inhospitable so it is only able to run for a couple months per year. But you can see why they still make the effort.

Is this similar to the effect of chromium and vanadium in colour changing sapphire?

• Locked thread