Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

JohnnyRnR posted:

But something like this I'd never duplicate as it's unique and iconic. http://bit.ly/ENhzv

The deer drinking from a pond ring is so cute! :3: (It'll page through, just keep watching.)

Content: I have a single prong-set sapphire ring. I clean it up every so often with dish soap and a toothbrush when it's accumulated too much lotion and other gunk. Any reason to change that routine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
If you're in a place big enough to have a mall, you likely have more than one local jeweler. Shop around-- the guy we got my engagement ring from was so much better than his competitor across the street. We had a really simple request-- solitaire sapphire, set plain old Tiffany-style.

Jeweler A had gems (in various carats) and a number of settings on hand and spent a half hour making sure he knew what we wanted, and could have everything ready by a week's time. (OK, maybe about 10 minutes of this was us looking at gems under a loupe because :sparkles:. That guy was really proud of what he'd collected from consignments and happy to show it off.)

Jeweler B didn't have any gems/settings on hand, said it would take weeks to get anything in to look at plus another two weeks turn-around time, and was really pushy about encrusting everything with diamonds and wouldn't we be happier with what all the other couples were buying?(Obviously that store didn't do much in-house.)

There were a few other places we looked, but Jeweler A had the best prices and was nicest so we went with him.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Fair enough. Just keep in mind that opals usually look better in person than they do in photos.

Actually, does anyone here have tricks for photographing opals? Everyone I've talked to about it has basically said 'keep trying in different lightings'.

Nail thread people often photograph tricky polishes (iridescence, color shifts, holographic glitter, multiple layers of varying opacities of such, etc) two main ways:

1. A blurry shot, since the sparkles get larger and easier to see

2. An underwater shot, since you'll get multiple angles of refraction on the subject without a crazy lighting/shooting situation

Bonus: gifs of the above.

I don't know if any of those will help opals, though.

Your shop has some really pretty pieces. :)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Does she have any rings she wears that fit the intended finger? Grab one of those and print out a ring sizing sheet (the kind that are just circles to place a ring on).

Alternatively, ask a trusted friend/relative of hers. If they don't know, they may be able to find out on the sly (if they have good acting skills).

Resizing a ring after proposal is really common, though. I think about half the people I know did a post-proposal sizing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

LLSix posted:

made out of tungsten

Be aware that tungsten can have a cobalt binder or a nickle binder-- the cobalt kind can cause contact dermatitis. We had to get my husband another ring because of it. It was just a cheapie from Amazon so we got what we paid for.

He said he was "allergic to marriage." :v:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Xun posted:

if there's obvious flaws in the stone don't get it!

My sapphire engagement ring has a veil inclusion that I think looks cool; got it for cheaper than its perfect cousin. :colbert:

You should listen to Xun probably. Sapphire can look a bit different in different lighting and really should be seen in person if you're going to wear it everyday.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The tungsten ring I have is on the cooler side, when seen right next to white gold or titanium. It's been mistaken for white gold on its own, though. Just an FYI.

A friend's tungsten ring shattered when he whacked his hand into a cliff while rock climbing. He also broke a finger, so as long as you don't do that regularly you're probably fine.

Tungsten is much cheaper, too, so even if you break it in an EXTREME adventure it won't break the bank.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I have a pretty smoky quartz (or maybe citrine? something quartzy) pendant that I can't wear because it's missing the top part:

What's the name for this type of bail? My google-fu isn't finding the name for it, only bringing me a lot of bullshit healing crystal pendants for sale.

effika fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 12, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I recently designed and cast this ring for a client of ours (she didn't like it, what a butt) so we ended up making her something else but the colour of Paraiba Tourmalines is just so nuts.

I totally understand her not wanting it for an everyday ring, but the colour is amazingly a natural one and pretty mesmerizing.

That ring looks amazing, like a tropical beach. If I get some scratch I know who I'll be talking to about a ring like that! It's simply beautiful.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

nyerf posted:

and next to husband's, who also had a meteorite inlay bit

Wow! I need to find the cash to get something similar for my 5.5 size finger... Maybe since I'm tiny the meteorite will be less... I can hope.

That's a really lovely pair of rings!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

WOOFDOCTOR posted:

If ceramic is not possible, does anyone have a suggestion of other materials to look at that come in green? We have also looked at channel set green sapphires and it's not the same.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Actually just giving it some thought, noble metals (titanium, niobium) can be coloured with electricity...so maybe you'll be able to find something with a titanium or niobium inlay that is then electrified to turn green? Unfortunately that's all I can come up with!

I Google image searched for titanium green inlay ring and a lot of cool stuff came up-- wood (which has its own durability issues), some anodized titanium, carbon fiber inlays, and this:

The Green Machine by Minter + Richter

Which appears to be some kind of resin inlay. Resin will definitely have scratching issues, but if it's the same stuff custom pen makers are using it should be easy enough to buff out.

There's a lot of neat rings on that site, actually. Looks like they do custom work too.

Oh, here's a nice green one from them: Fauna.

effika fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 13, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005

That's a really pretty stone! What is it?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

It's possible to be allergic to nickel or less commonly copper, both of which often feature in some alloys including white gold. I have a cousin who is allergic to nickel, or at least thinks she is.

My husband found out he was allergic to nickel when he started wearing his wedding ring. He said he was allergic to marriage, but a titanium band fixed him up.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Adding another anecdote to the pile.

It might not matter much for occasional use, but I've had a silver chain eat right through the bail on a white gold pendant that I wore daily for a year. So yes— definitely match metals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

Well done! It's good to see a cut stone from you. That yield is phenomenal, all without looking cut for weigh at all. Have you been having fun with the stuff you picked up at Tucson?

Edit: Also, I got a new (to me) gem microscope! I've been having fun taking photos through the ocular and using helicon for focus stacking. Image dump:

Canadian hypersthene up close (70x). It appears it gets its trademark silvery sheen from platy metallic/irridescent inclusions, maybe exsolved hematite or ferrosilite.

Hard to photograph but kinda cool, dumortierine crystals in quartz. In person it is an intense blue but the microscope light is fairly yellow.

Hematite needles in rough amethyst from Nigeria with a classic nail-like crystal form. This one turned out a lot cooler than it should have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSvCWI9HXUA
And a video of a mobile methane bubble inside fluorescent petroleum in a negative crystal inside a Pakistani quartz crystal (the herkimer-like ones).

WOW! That video is super cool.

• Locked thread