Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
My fiance's father just died, and she wants to melt down his wedding ring to make her own. She doesn't want anything fancy, just a 2mm yellow gold band with a slight knife edge. How much would this cost compared with buying a totally new ring and could pretty much any jeweler do it? Where would the leftover gold go? Would we just take home a yellow lump? I bought my setting at https://www.pearlmansjewelers.com and would probably go back there if appropriate.

My issue is that I'm concerned that the whole process will cost as much or more than just buying it outright. I'm also worried because her engagement ring is 18k while this is 14k, and I think you would be able to tell the difference. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

JohnnyRnR posted:

I will buy the gold from the customer and cast their design with recycled gold that has been refined and re-alloyed.

I understand that that you won't be able to tell the difference between 14k and 18k. However, there will be some gold leftover anyways and we might as well use it for something. Does refining mean that the 14k can be converted to 18k?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

JohnnyRnR posted:

In refining you're taking a gold alloy and separating the impurities. So the 14k gold will be converted to 24k (with some loss overhead) and can then be re-alloyed to 10k, 18, etc.

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

• Locked thread