Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

21stCentury posted:

This thread should include stuff from Canada as well, like the new law preventing violent offenders and sexual offenders from getting pardons after the 5 year period (to prevent a notorious murderer from getting her pardon. She's out of jail, stayed out of trouble for 5 years and she's cheated out of her right for a normal life.)
Yes this was pretty much the definition of a Bill of attainder against Homolka and really should have been disallowed. Homolka certainly shiouldn't have been walking the streets after 5 years but that was a function of her original plea bargain, destroying the pardon system and making it impossible for many parolees to find employment for a decade or so after there release is just a nasty side effect.

This is the thing that most worries me about the Conservatives. The "lets get tough on crime" approach sells incredibly easily but is patently unnecessary when this is the status quo:

:canada:

They are taking care of this though with their campaign to knock out the foundations of Stats Can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

21stCentury posted:

You're kidding me, right? They're really trying to fix the "statistics make us look bad" thing by making it harder to get statistics?

Please tell me this is a joke.
Would that I could, the Head of Statistics Canada just resigned in protest last week.

The PM has against all advice decided to scrap the data collected in the Census in favour of much more expansive (and useless) voluntary surveys. The dirty little secret behind the campaign is that the Conservatives hate Stats Can.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

Was there even a significant chance of her getting the pardon?

Who the gently caress cares, the purpose of a pardon is to give people who've stayed out of trouble for years a fresh start by wiping their name from (some) criminal background checks. It's not like the name KARLA HOMOLKA at the top of a C.V. won't raise a red flag whether or not she is pardoned. I'm not sure she even ever applied for a pardon, what would be the point?

The problem here is that ther word pardon carries a connotation of absolution when that isn't why they are needed (or granted routinely).

• Locked thread