Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Thanks for this, Fire.

The only thing I've read about Angola prison is an article or radio piece about the inmates there (who are mostly black) do slave work on a golf course. As a younger person, I didn't give it much thought, but thinking back there are a lot of ridiculous racial undertones in a largely black prison population servicing a largely white clientele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oryx and Friends posted:

Omg those are so appalling just considering them is painful. Yes, reaching out to the Muslim community means reaching out to terrorists exclusively. Imagine if Obama had instead wanted to reach out to Jews and then everyone made political cartoons about Nasa reaching out to greedy rich bankers.
Let's not forget that the Republican Lenin, Ronald Reagan, talked about this exact same thing in the '80s.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Broken Knees Club posted:

Remember the time sex offenders were literally forced to live under a bridge because everywhere else fell within a certain distance of pools/schools/whatever they were not allowed to be around?

:godwin:
Remember how Louisiana wanted to execute certain sex offenders, and after that failed, how Jindal pushed for chemical castration of those offenders?

Edit: There are seriously not enough words that can express my hatred for Jindal.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 26, 2010

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Thanks Reagan!
Your legacy is complete.

(I think I got that line wrong, I'm a bad Frisky Dingo fan)

We shouldn't be "tough on crime" in this country, we should be smart on crime. Of course, that will never catch on.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Except Arpaio is sheriff of an area that contains Phoenix and most of its metropolitan area, so we're not exactly talking about rural white Arizonans here.

Either way, I hear that the Justice Department is biding its time.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

olylifter posted:

Why aren't the 'make the gubmit smaller and spend less' tea party assholes trumpeting about this as a means to reduce the deficit and the debt?
Because they're not so much conservative as they are right-wing authoritarian. They have a massive hard-on for the military and criminal "justice," which are two areas that authoritarian governments like to focus on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

We've already got stadiums and arenas in the U.S. that are named for pyramid schemes (Amway Center in Orlando) and for-profit educational groups (University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, AZ), so let's name one for for-profit prison operators, why the hell not.

• Locked thread