Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That chart doesn't have my "favorite" Louisiana law fact: Max sentence for marijuana possession. Care to guess? eighty years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I thought that maybe the previous back-and-forth has had time to cool and this thread should be revived. This article on Arizona's privatized prison healthcare is pretty "shocking," I'll leave you with a choice quote.

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/...fterdeaths.html

quote:

[a lawsuit] cites examples of prisoners being told to pray to be cured or drink energy shakes to treat cancer symptoms.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
How thick do people have to be to not understand that even in that Norwegian prison will all its (helpful, rehabilitative) amenities, the inmates have still been temporarily deprived of one of the most basic human rights? Does Conway not value Liberty?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The American prison complex is all about brutal punishment and gives no shits about rehabilitation. The American view is that the threat of prison should be enough to keep people from doing crimes. The other awful snag of it is that American prisons are often for-profit. Some area's justice systems are actually intentionally set up to be revolving doors; as in they know that it doesn't rehabilitate prisoners, the prisoners are given dismal resources when they are let out, and not helped get out of the criminal life. So, of course, they end up going right back. It's a dramatic difference in views and shows a difference in core values. Norway is asking "how do we take criminals and turn them into productive citizens that do not commit crimes?" America isn't asking anything it's just throwing anybody that does anything wrong in a hole filled with violence and horror and wondering why they come out damaged.

I know, and for-profit prisons remains the most hideous concept I can think of going on right now in the United States, and makes me want to grab everyone I pass by the collar and tell them about it, even if most people probably don't care, which is insane. The idea of monetizing human suffering would not strike many as too strange.

It's really the worst part about learning all the awful depths of this problem, that one could ask the Attica warden, "Do you think your prisoners leave your prison better off as people?" which idealistically should be the goal of either punitive or rehabilitative systems (you "learn your lesson" or you learn to improve yourself), and it's not the fact that they'd try to worm out a "Yes" when it's so clearly untrue, it's that if they were candid, they'd say "No, and I prefer it this way."

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then you get into drug charges. My favorite "this is why America is loving awful" fact is that you can't get federal student loans (last I heard, anyway) if you have a drug charge on your record. Any drug charge at all. So you were caught with an ounce of weed when you were 18? Lol gently caress you bro, hope you didn't plan on going to college!

Yes, I was going to say this. There's a question right at the beginning of the FAFSA application that says, "Oh by the way, check this box if you've ever had a drug conviction of any kind" and if you do it immediately ends the session.

• Locked thread