Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

taremva posted:

And one thing I figure I should mention: There is hardly any cases of rape in swedish prisons. The amount is so close to 0 that it's considered a non-issue, and I've never heard of it, ever.

The US problem is a combination of poorly supervised violent inmates, unsympathetic guards, a strict internal prohibition about telling the guards when it does happen, removal of normal outlets of sexual expression or even recreational activities, and gang related activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

No one would think that a malfunctioning computer "deserved" suffering for it's errors, they would just repair it in the most efficient manner possible.

We can't repair humans very well at all though, so we just poke them until they work right or break completely.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Randy Marsh posted:

Do you have any figures on this? I'd be very surprised if we're spending more on social welfare here in Europe than is spent on the Machine in the US. Just thinking on it like; you could pay solid welfare to a few poor families with the money it takes to house one prisoner.

Spent on the machine? I thought the whole point was the private prisons are profitable. They are the least expensive possible "caretakers".

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have any knowledge regarding celebrity prisoners? I imagine unless it's something particularly heinous they're treated with kid gloves the entire way, protective custody, that sort of thing? Is it almost entirely a personal thing, like a B-grade celebrity no one has really heard of but a guard likes gets special treatment?

I'm curious why none of the many celebrities that have been arrested (and some sent to prison) have been particularly aggressive towards the police that I am aware of.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mew force shoelace posted:

They did a study about cutting in lines and excuses where they had people go up to a bust copy machine and give various excuses to why they needed to cut and recorded how often people would let them with each excuse, and it turned out "I need to make copies" worked as well as any excuse because it sounds like an excuse even if it's just saying the thing your doing.

Nothing he says actually refutes the idea they are getting unfair treatment by the justice system he's just restating that they do and saying that means it's okay.

Stating that they get unfair treatment in no way advocates that treatment...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

21stCentury posted:

Okay, now... I'm just speechless. This is plain horrible.

America was built on slavery, it seems reasonable to return to it when faced with economic challenges.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Leipold looked at the records in more than 75,000 federal criminal trials from 1989 through 2002. In about three-quarters of the cases, defendants chose to have a jury rather than a judge decide the outcome, as is their right under the Constitution. This was generally not a smart move. Judges convicted about 55 percent of the time, while the jury conviction rate was a whopping 84 percent.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1484032,00.html#ixzz0y4p2vrr7

If only someone had seen fit to mandate that juries be impartial when judging crimes, maybe put the rule somewhere prominent and even take it out for a spin every now and then...

Instead we have a prosecutor that literally values your livelihood and lifestyle less than taking an extra half hour for lunch. One that will do everything to discredit you and convince the jury you are a bad person.

Add a jury conditioned through mass media that all who are on trial are guilty and the few innocents will always be freed in a surprise twist of events. Not paid a meaningful wage, many have negative incentives to be present and will vote for expediency.

quote:

The results surprised almost all the lawyers — defense attorneys as well as prosecutors ...

A promising one is that since neither side wants to spend a lot of time and money on the many cases involving misdemeanors, or minor crimes, defense lawyers typically request a quick trial before a judge, prosecutors don't bother to prepare thoroughly, and the result is often acquittal. Another possibility is that judges so resented the federal sentencing guidelines, which replaced judicial discretion with strict and frequently harsh rules, that they demanded stronger proof of guilt when the prescribed sentence seemed unfair. Leipold leans to this explanation because judges started to acquit even more often at about the time the guidelines went into effect.

Top two theories from the article:

1. Prosecutors don't do their job (by not preparing), but only on misdemeanors or minor crimes which should generally be the simplest in terms of evidence and preparation time.
2. Judges are refusing to enforce mandatory draconic punishments because they seem immoral.

Well, that's a relief! Good thing it's not 3. Prosecutors select jurors based on perceived ability to influence and control the jurors thoughts and emotions and they are unable to so readily select judges. I don't mean to claim that's the whole picture, but these are soft skills here, it's easy to see how we don't have hard data on comparative gullibility and persuasiveness in our court systems and the conclusion is reasonable. And despicable.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 30, 2010

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

we can't really criticize prosecutors for pushing cases with all possible force, unless they are knowingly prosecuting an innocent man.

http://www.abanet.org/crimjust/spring2003/conviction.html

quote:

Police and prosecutors coerce witnesses and knowingly use false testimony. When this isn't enough, they fabricate evidence. In an analysis of 62 known wrongful convictions, Scheck found that prosecutors suppressed exculpatory evidence in 43 percent of the cases, knowingly used false testimony in 22 percent of the cases, coerced witnesses in 13 percent and fabricated evidence in 3 percent of the cases.

Police suppressed evidence in 36 percent of the cases, fabricated evidence in 9 percent and lied in other ways in 55 percent of the cases.

2 out of 3 times when a conviction goes wrong, it's due to prosecutorial misconduct, frequently overlapping with police misconduct. Self-evident conspiracy, yet where is their jail sentence?

quote:

If our "panel of judges" is correct, this means that the U.S. criminal justice system might be accurate in about 99.5 percent of the cases of felony conviction. That suggests, perhaps, a level of accuracy that might inspire great confidence. However, one’s perspective on the magnitude of the problem might change when one considers the overall volume of cases processed through the U.S. criminal justice system. For example, in the year 2000 there were 2.2 million arrests in the United States for index crimes alone. We also know that about 70 percent of those arrested for felonies are ultimately convicted of either a felony or a misdemeanor. This means that if we assume that the system was 99.5 percent accurate in those cases and made errors in only one-half of 1 percent (0.5 percent) of those convictions, that rate of error would have produced about 7,500 wrongful convictions among those 2.2 million arrested for index crimes. So a small error rate in a very large system can result in thousands of miscarriages of justice and allow many of the criminals who actually committed those crimes to remain free to victimize others.

Assuming our justice system gets it right 99.5% of the time, this year 7,500 innocent people will be wrongfully convicted. Do you think it's really that good?

Edit: removed crap from D&D thought I was grandstanding in GBS

baquerd fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 30, 2010

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thoren posted:

baquered, it always surprises me when certain judges have certain conviction rates. Just insane. The whole system of having a "Judge" seem to be broken today. Why is a punishment with a range of minimum and maximum made on the whim of a Judge's emotions and feelings? It's like playing Russian roulette with people's lives, get the wrong judge and you're hosed out of 10 more years. If someone does a crime, let there be a fair punishment for it, not one that fluctuates on if the judge has had his or her morning coffee.

The problem is that the law is not evenly applied by the prosecutor either. The same crime can merit different punishments depending on the circumstances of the case. Maximum sentencing guidelines should be put in place, but no minimums and certainly not a "flat" sentence applied arbitrarily to all found guilty.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

olylifter posted:

To save money on heating and cooling, the air in this building is overly recirculated. This means, of course, more carbon dioxide and less oxygen.
Worst of all, they will turn the air flow down so much that we often cannot feel any air coming out of our vents for months at a time.
Because of all this, we are suffering Hypoxic Hypoxia. All of us prisoners are lethargic and couldn't exercise even if we had the space to do so. We all have short term memory loss and trouble concentrating. It is probable that we are all suffering at least mild brain damage.

For what it's worth, this seems unlikely, not the effects but the cause. For one, the guards are breathing the same air.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 3, 2010

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

“The juvenile system, by design, is intended to be a less punitive system than the adult system, and yet here were scores of children with very minor infractions having their lives ruined,” said Marsha Levick, a lawyer with the Philadelphia-based Juvenile Law Center.

Unstated implication: the adult prison system features adults with very minor infractions having their lives ruined and this is OK because we have to punish them.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CRM 114 posted:

The best thing that ever happened to me was being 'buddied' with a prisoner in his early forties. One of the most genuine people I have ever met, layed down the rules and explained just how bad things could be if I did not adhere to them.

If you feel OK to talk about it, what were some of these rules and can you possibly tell us the country? Could you tell us about daily conditions?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They had to bring Capone down for tax evasion, I suppose Arpaio won't necessarily pay directly for his crimes either.

quote:

The sheriff's employee database operated parallel to a county-run system, recording a different set of sheriff's staff assignments and payments than official records provided to county auditors.
County administrators believe the Sheriff's Office intentionally misappropriated as much as $80 million designated for jail operations over five years to pay employees working in patrol, human-smuggling operations and investigative units.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/11/01/20101101maricopa-county-joe-arpaio-payroll-investigation.html

The Valuum posted:

The comradery in jail.

Always good to hear about humanity staying around in jail. Did you have to do anything special to qualify for work release?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

brizna posted:

What's wrong with selling coke?

Because it's illegal, the typical channels of supply are filled with violence, the manufacturers see a tiny percentage of the immense profits when they aren't effectively slaves, and the proceeds work their way back to fund the cycle over again, save for those kickbacks that go to law enforcement through seizures and the like.

If you make your own straight from the plants though, absolutely nothing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shang Yang posted:

Of course there's something wrong with selling your own cocaine; just look at what it does to/for the customer and society. If you're selling to street gangs and whatnot, then you have all the problems you just listed. That's with out mentioning the direct and collateral effects of addiction.

On top of that, there's the general fact that parents don't want their children coming near such a questionable substance and environment, that society and the legislature have both taken a very dim view of narcotics, etc. I also sincerely doubt that the particular poster in this thread harvested his own cocaine, but whatever.

You presume the seller and/or the buyer are irresponsible, why? Do we not have functioning coke addicts throughout entertainment, business, and dare I say politics?

We allow legal tobacco addiction, why not legal cocaine addiction? If we allow mass production and importation, any bum on the street could afford it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poopinmymouth posted:

That's begging the question.

No it really isn't, I listed a cause that is a legal fact and an effect.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flannelette posted:

If it weren't illegal it wouldn't have these problems, so the issue is with the law then.

That was what I was getting at, I can see the confusion on re-reading now though, thanks for clarifying.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fire posted:

Well, its part of the problem, people have a rose tinted view of the police. The police are not your friend. Their job is to arrest and gather evidence to prosecute you. They only "serve and protect" the interests of the elite.

Is that more a commentary on the state of the police or the populace?

The myriad of laws in the US today means that literally everyone is a law-breaker and most are felons if the letter of the law is maximally adhered to in all instances. As in many other areas, the US citizenry has given up various freedoms for the claim of security. This happened slowly, with a volume of laws of which the totality can scarcely even be wholly known by a single human, let alone abided by.

Whether you are heavily fined or go to jail in any given LEO interaction is practically based on the whims of the individual officer(s) you are interacting with. I've seen in our own SA cop thread open bragging about nailing people that merely annoyed the officer with obscure statutes. Even while on direct camera footage (that is lost with an amazing frequency in claims of police abuse), your life is in their hands. The only thing separating you from wanton brutality and various false charges is the integrity of the officer(s).

Knowing this and knowing that the police are supposed to blindly enforce the law, who in their right mind would ever call the police except in the most egregious of circumstances calling for their attention?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't know they could force women not to get pregnant under the threat of jail (turned out to be a death sentence in this case).

http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/woman_jailed_for_getting_pregnant_dies_from_medical_neglect

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

The violation seems to be not that she became pregnant per se, but the pregnancy was the proof that she had sex, something which is not permitted for those residing in these quasi-detention centers (14+ hours a day) while on “work release” programs.

Because work release is technically voluntary (from what I understand), you get to sign away a lot more than the government can take from you legally. I bet the outcome would be the same (but more outrageous) if she was raped.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

Your friend was almost certainly lying about being thrown in a heroin-coated solitary confinement cell in county jail. I'll guarantee that.

Considering the value of enough heroin to visibly coat the floor would be in the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars and that the only way the heroin would be forced into him is if they shoved his nose in it thereby covering their shoes and clothes with heroin dust as well, there's just no way.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Madman Theory posted:

:psypop:

This is it, people, we're now living in the Gilded Age.

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means. We've only got the political corruption, none of the good aspects.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JMBosch posted:

And lo, the great Beast slowly began to lift its massive, lulled eyes to the incessant rabble of Its own innards:
Conservatives Latch onto Prison Reform

Sounds like their core voting constituency is getting arrested too much in these economic times.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stew Man Chew posted:

Jesus christ it really is like slavery all over again.

We need to call it this, openly. This is important because it is the naked truth. We solved the automation crisis by imprisoning everyone who became obsolete because the market could not support them any longer, but the market not only can support slaves, but its players gain power through acquisition of slaves.

In the world of tomorrow, ditch diggers don't earn minimum wage.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The French Army! posted:

This is a weird question. How hard is it to break into a prison to free someone as opposed to breaking out of one?

With zero help, you are going to need to be the world's luckiest man to get out, depending of course on the security level. Some prisons have day release work programs...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

anonumos posted:

Are there any prisoner unions?

They're called gangs I believe. Any formal internal organization is broken up for security though there are a few prisoner's rights groups.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shovelbum posted:

If you are writing him about these issues, why are you thinking that his replies are genuine and unaltered? It seems like any letters about prison conditions would be censored and replaced with rose-tinted lies as a matter of course.

This would be a federal crime and easily tested for.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BigHead posted:

Don't forget the people he owes money to have already greatly profited by selling his hand-made furniture at gigantic markups! Giant markups and they can make up their own rate at which to charge him debt! Pure genius capitalism if you ask me.

He's not getting paid enough by the people he owes the debt to to cover his debt while the people he owes the debt to profit hand over foot from his work for which they are not paying him and continually add to his debt.

Well, yeah it was unfortunate but that was a fairly typical slave arrangement, where no matter what you did you couldn't really ever afford to buy your freedom.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tigntink posted:

My school had a leaky roof and no AC sometimes. Bill and Melinda Gates foundation gave it money last year because the teachers are awesome though. That was in Memphis, TN.

I raise you abestos removal during school hours and air conditioning only in the administrator's offices.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

Sorry, I should have said "Private slavery"

A lot of these prisons aren't publicly owned.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scikar posted:

This guy will get excellent and comprehensive treatment, and the story will be used to both cover up those horror stories and further erode the access to medical care of prisoners not in the public eye.

Maybe, but my money is on shuffling his medical papers around the office until he just sort of drops off the liabilities list so to speak. After further investigation, a corrections officer (who was immediately put on paid administrative leave pending evaluation of his involvement) will be not be charged due to a lack of evidence. Obituaries are on page 8.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Devil posted:

People are traumatized after a robbery and say and do some really stupid poo poo. That's why they should get professional help after being a victim of such crimes.

That's $300/hr, it would be like getting robbed twice.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

anonumos posted:

Wow! 10 oz of "individually packaged" pot? That girl's a serious player. Why on Earth would she have that much at school?

I think they mean it was split up into smaller bags, as in she's going to get charged with dealing.

To me the big what the gently caress of 0.10 grams... that's like a pencil eraser sized amount, how did they let themselves get caught.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PyRosflam posted:

Response: There is no statistical likelihood for the convicted thief vs the girl who's never been caught stealing to pick one over the other. In short, this bit of information is more or less worthless unless we make it out to something its not.

Uh, what statistics are you working off of there?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cafel posted:

The police have other tools at their disposal to deal with slightly obnoxious drunks. At every turn the officers involved took steps that increased the tension and increased the chance of some kind of incident occurring. This is a persistent and systematic problem with the culture within the Seattle PD that has been note by several outside groups, including the Justice Department, which has ordered reforms be carried out. In several notable case needlessly confrontational behavior by the Seattle PD has led to lethal shootings that most likely could have been avoided.

Police are literally taught confrontation escalation as a problem solving skill, and to always be the biggest voice in the room and in control of the situation. If you challenge the police, you either need to be ready to throw your life away and try to kill them or you need to realize that you're going to be made to submit eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Emron posted:

Oh for sure, your honor.

Let's not get into that :can: but I thought burglary meant they invaded a home with people in it?

• Locked thread