Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
You know, I showed my moderate/conservative father the Joe Arpaio site because I was trying to convince him how hosed up and corrupt the police are in Arizona specifically. (we started with talking about the immigration law) He read through it and got back to my saying that he just doesn't believe it and thinks that "some of it may be true, some of it is sure exaggeration, and some of it are lies." His rational is that if someone was guilty of all that he would be punished by the law or at least be voted out. Since he hasn't, he honestly believes that the stories cannot be fully true. He also defended the need to have an apc for a sheriff county and gave the standard bullshit spiel about gangs outgunning the cops on the street or whatever. He was also suspicious of the guy whose house burned down because he caught a contradiction in the story about whether the apc was unmarked or not.

I didn't bother showing him the prison stuff since it is clear that my dad has the same problem that is rampant throughout this country: he believes in the infallibility of the system, and if something is grossly wrong then it wouldn't be allowed to continue. I mean, this is a man who, to this day, honest to god believes that we went into Iraq because our intelligence honestly pointed to there being WMDs in Saddam's control.

It's frustrating to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

How would an unmarked APC even work?

He believed that the article said that the man who owned the house commented that the APC had no signs on it while the picture clearly shows it did. However, I just read the article again to find this and it clearly says that the apc was out of site and the men outside had no distinguishing marks on him. So my dad was an idiot who saw what he wanted to see I guess.

I can point it out to him tomorrow but I doubt that would change his mind about anything. After all, as I previously stated, he has massive reservations about the validity of all the stories.

Sylink posted:

I dont know how old your dad is, but guessing I still have no idea how people grow up through Vietnam, Nixon, and all the hosed up poo poo the CIA and Reagan did and actually believe the system "works".

Well it's quite simple. He believes that the Vietnam War was justified for containing the spread of communism (he also believes the age old bullshit that the media lost the war for us but whatever), that Nixon got a bad rep, that the CIA is justified to do ALL it does in the name of national security, and that Reagan was a great president. So to him, the system is working fine.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 26, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So there is this thing right here that scares the living poo poo out of me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

Now, it says in the article there they some prisons are going to start installing these in rooms to quell riots. Now, how exactly does this not fall under the concept of "Cruel and unusual punishment?" Yes I know, I know, this thread has made a perfect showcase on all of the cruel and unusual poo poo that goes on in prison. But the ADS can't just be hushed up or just disregarded as an "accident" or something. This thing is a good drat torture ray straight out of sci-fi.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Correct me if I am wrong, but there has never been an actual proven statistical study of people choosing to commit crimes just to be able to go into the "relative" care of prison right?

I just want to head off that talking point right away.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I think the LF site may be down. I haven't been able to access it for a while.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

18 Year old sentenced to 162 years without the possibility of parole for first time conviction. His crime? Robbery.

http://news.yahoo.com/insight-florida-man-sees-cruel-face-u-justice-050157061.html

quote:

In a statement issued the day after the sentencing, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida Wifredo Ferrer hailed Davis's lock-up for life as sending an unmistakable warning to anyone seeking to profit from violent crime.

"We will not allow our community to be overrun by guns and violence," he said.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 4, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Feds: Mississippi county runs 'school-to-prison pipeline'

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/10/us/mississippi-juvenile-justice/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Has anyone done a good study on the increase of police brutality following the drastic increase of emphasis on 'otherization' in police attitude? It seems to me that not only has the average cop on the beat been increasingly armed militarily but they have also become more and more detached from the people they are supposed to protect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Feds have completed their investigation of Arpaio and will not file charges.

gently caress America

• Locked thread