Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Valuum posted:

One was actually really cool and nice. He had been over in Iraq and knew we were hardly bad people. He would even come in our cell and watch TV with us for a bit sometimes. When our cell had all cool people (that weren't big mouths) he would even talk poo poo about the other guards.

I would be curious about how often this prevails in certain jails/prisons. Do guards have perspective on the fact that the vast majority of people are incarcerated for drug-related offenses that are essentially victimless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Did he say 93 percent of domestically produced PAINTS? Made by prisoners? Jesus christ it really is like slavery all over again.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Saw this on a friend's facebook (she's cool, had maybe 5 hateful screeds appended to it) but

No Riker's Island evacuation during Irene

Granted, the hurricane was pretty mild compared to the doom n gloom nonsense being bandied about by the weather channel, but seriously. You can order a gajillion people in lower Manhattan to GTFO, but let's just leave the prisoners where they at! (yes it's a mother jones link but there are mirrors at other places)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mitztronic posted:

Is there a single link, an essay or article, that provides a good overview of the problems with the prison/justice system? Most people aren't willing to read tens or hundreds of articles about a topic. What's the best way to share the information in this thread to someone in the general public?

Gates of Injustice is an awesome and relatively concise book about the problem. But I dunno, nobody wants to read books so :suicide:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Calenth posted:

This may be of interest to some -- what may turn out to be an important prisoners'-rights trial just finished up in South Carolina.

Plaintiff's website here: http://www.mentalhealth4inmates.org/ Waiting on ruling, which will be appealed regardless of who wins, I'm sure.

I am kind of surprised I didn't know about this (not really) but I might pass this along to my bloggin' friends here in Columbia to see if they've paid any attention.

Thanks!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
No it didn't:

This is what happens after elections.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

big business sloth posted:

I thought that maybe the previous back-and-forth has had time to cool and this thread should be revived. This article on Arizona's privatized prison healthcare is pretty "shocking," I'll leave you with a choice quote.

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/...fterdeaths.html

This is atrocious. Also fun fact: the lawyer for Wexford quoted in the article is an NFL referee. I knew I'd seen that name before. What the gently caress?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HidingFromGoro posted:

Justice Department says it will end the use of private prisons.*

"Officials concluded the facilities are both less safe and less effective at providing correctional services than those run by the government."

*(Does not apply to state prisons or ICE Castles)

Hey I hope you're doing ok good to see you posting and in spite of these caveats that is pretty awesome news :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Ava duVernay's film 13th has been out on Netflix for about a week now. It's quite good and has been receiving critical acclaim from both mainstream and alternative cultural critics.

Its content and the arc of the slavery-jim crow-drugs forever-war on black people in the country is not exactly "news" to those of us who follow prison politics in the United States. Or any who have read any books like Gates of Injustice or The New Jim Crow, but the interviewees that are in the film really help to connect to a viewer and keep them from spiraling into the nightmare of the statistics and sheer scale of the information that can threatens to kind of overwhelm one's perspective when coming to grips with mass incarceration.

Highly recommend, and recommend showing to friends if they aren't WOKE AS. Also GROVER loving NORQUIST is an interviewee, and Van Jones, in the film, basically says "Yeah whatever Grover" it's pretty good.

• Locked thread