Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Sylink posted:

Only people who never fight in wars or risk their lives for anything believe that war works. Condolences.

I'm not sure that's true. I would be fairly surprised if a majority of soldiers didn't believe that war "works," whatever that means.

But I suppose that's off-topic. I'm glad to see this thread being restarted here now that LF has been placed out of view; I was a big reader and fan of all the HidingFromGoro threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

eSports Chaebol posted:

Indeed, in a certain sense, being tough on crime and tough on criminals are opposite goals, since if being tough on criminals is a priority and a sign of justice, a steady supply of criminals and therefore crime is desirable, and reducing crime drastically would be a bad thing because it would rob society of countless opportunities for punishment, thereby reducing the amount of justice.

If the amount of crime being committed in this country was drastically reduced, the current prison-industrial system would collapse and hundreds if not thousands of people would be out of a job. Do you really want these hardworking servants of the public good to be thrown out onto the street, unable to support their families? What kind of monster are you?

If anything, we should be throwing more people in jail for even newer and more exciting types of crime, if only to protect these precious :siren:JOBS:siren: from drifting away into the ether to be replaced by something more (ugh) productive.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

anglachel posted:

No. There are jobs out there who are willing to overlook it. Hell I just placed a guy who is now going to make as much money as me. Trade skills will often not care. The guy is now going to be an apprentice plumber in a union after doing 5 years in prison. But to be honest, most officers don't give a poo poo. I just decided I can't morally require people to pay money if I don't at least point them in the direction of a job.

The biggest hurdle is that people don't know where to look for jobs that might hire felons in my experience.

Are there really so many high-paying jobs that are willing to hire felons that working food service won't be the best option for many of them? I mean the only alternative is to find a minimum wage job that isn't food service, but why would people in that job be less likely to use drugs if the pay is the same?

In my personal experience it didn't seem to me that drug use was significantly more common among my minimum wage co-workers than among the general population, but that doesn't mean anything, of course.

• Locked thread