Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oryx and Friends
Nov 5, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Racial profiling in America fun - I was just riding my bike around right now and noticed a police officer driving around really slowly. I thought this interesting (note - I am white and thus would suffer no consequences from bothering this police officer) and decided to follow at a distance. He drove around a bit and then stopped in front of one house. The house just happened to be my Iranian friend's house! He was stopped outside for at least two minutes before I approached and asked what the officer was about. He said he was just patrolling and then drove away, though I'm not sure at all about this.

e - I actually am pretty sure what it was about, and the answer is anti-Islamic sentiment, which resulted in biased police focus upon a hated outgroup, which is the root of all the racist bias in the American justice system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oryx and Friends
Nov 5, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Fluoride Jones posted:

The most depressing thing about word of mouth are the aforementioned abhorrent ideas. I've seriously tried to convince friends and family that the prison system is a nightmare, but it usually ends with something like, "Well it's not supposed to be rehabilitation," or the typical, "Why have sympathy for killers and rapists?" I find this kind of thing is also very common when talking about the death penalty. Great thread, btw. Thank you, Fire for saving all of this info.

Not much can infuriate me, but hearing people express the idea that certain people deserve to be anally raped is the most atrocious thing you will ever hear in public discourse.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the cruel and unusual punishment!

Oryx and Friends
Nov 5, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

The New Black posted:

I think the truly appaling level of anti-Islamic sentiment in the US is really laid bare by a lot of those cartoons that were posted in the LF thread after the whole "NASA muslim outreach" thing. The government says it wants NASA to help with outreach to the Muslim world, and basically every conservative cartoonist made a cartoon showing Obama kissing the feet of a middle eastern suicide bomber. They literally believe that all Muslims are a) arabs and b) terrorists.

Omg those are so appalling just considering them is painful. Yes, reaching out to the Muslim community means reaching out to terrorists exclusively. Imagine if Obama had instead wanted to reach out to Jews and then everyone made political cartoons about Nasa reaching out to greedy rich bankers.

Oryx and Friends
Nov 5, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
The funniest part of that interaction is the house he was outside was solely inhabited by the nicest 50 year old lady I have ever met in my life, as my friend is studying abroad at the moment.

• Locked thread