Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

anglachel posted:

*People don't pay to be on parole, well they are supposed too, but Parole almost never makes them pay fines and fees and almost always waives supervision fees for parolees. Parole will often waive failed drug tests as well, I've seen them cut loose people positive for meth. At least in my state you can't be on parole and probation at the same time for the same offense. People DO pay to be on probation, however judges can waive that fee and in liberal areas often will. The logic is that probation is basically you make up for what you did in some other way then time in a facility, via money and community service. The treatment parts that are mandated are just a nod towards rehabilitation. There is also drug court and mental health court probation, that plays by a different set of rules and has more of rehabilitative focus. Those individuals get their records sealed if they can go 5 years with no new offenses after they complete probation.
This is state specific. Washington state has fees associated with community custody (formerly parole, slightly different) and they will take it straight out of your paycheck if you don't send it. It has fees associated with everything (so many that I think they still hold the title as far as "longest list of fees" goes!)

Related, a friend of mine recently finished serving a sentence and came out with around $30k worth of debt, over $20k of that is interest owed. It's ridiculous and even the state recognizes it:

Washington State Legislature posted:

Finding -- 2011 c 106: "(1) The legislature finds that it is in the interest of the public to promote the reintegration into society of individuals convicted of crimes. Research indicates that legal financial obligations may constitute a significant barrier to successful reintegration. The legislature further recognizes that the accrual of interest on nonrestitution debt during the term of incarceration results in many individuals leaving prison with insurmountable debt. These circumstances make it less likely that restitution will be paid in full and more likely that former offenders and their families will remain in poverty. In order to foster reintegration, this act creates a mechanism for courts to eliminate interest accrued on nonrestitution debt during incarceration and improves incentives for payment of legal financial obligations.

The question is, what's the point of such a massive interest rate in the first place? I've never been able to find a reasonable answer to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Reaganomicon posted:

No, totally, SALT CURES HAM, thanks for writing about your experience... I was in Santa Ana jail for 2 1/2 days, it felt like 2 1/2 months. It's too much to write about, except the toilets were segregated by race and I didn't poo poo the entire time I was there, and when I got to take a shower in my own shower it felt like the Ritz Carlton times a billion. Jail is loving horrible.
A friend of mine has told me stories about the showers at Walla Walla here in Washington. It involves a lot of avoiding men urinating on you from a distance, trying not to touch other guys while naked and the lines for the showers being definitely based on color and affiliation. It sounds terrible but, according to him at least, actual prison is better than county jail for an extended period of time.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

A.S.H. posted:

Ever since HidingfromGoro went into well, hiding, this thread has been lacking in accounts from people who have been inside the machine. I think everyone reading this thread would be grateful and benefit from what you can share.
What sort of accounts are you looking for? I can ask someone who has spent 11 years total (8 1/2 years & 2 1/2 years) in prison of the maximum security variety for being a dumbass. 5 different facilities, all which pretty much sound the same as far as I'm concerned but I wasn't the one in there so... If you have any specific questions I'll get answers.

• Locked thread