Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Losing a toe would probably gently caress me up way less than spending a year in a US prison. Remember, he said toe, not a limb like an arm or a leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

His Purple Majesty posted:

So people don't choose to commit rape and molestation? "I'm sorry your honor I just had a strong craving for some rape today" doesn't sit well with me.

Mental illness does work like that, oftentimes, believe it or not.

e:

And just to be clear, by saying that I don't mean there shouldn't be any consequences.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

His Purple Majesty posted:

So if we let rapists off the hook because of mental illness why not white collar criminals? Many of them are sociopaths with a disdain for others why not give them some half hearted counselling and let them back on the street too?

I clarified explicitly they shouldn't be let off the hook. I'm just saying that we shouldn't treat people with a mental illness (whether that caused them to rape a kid or ruin the lives of thousands of people through some financial scheme) as people that lost the 'privilege' of being treated humanely. We, as a society, can and should be better than that.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

the great deceiver posted:

Yeah in the California case it was originally ruled unconstitutional due to the endless appeals process. If I understand correctly the 9th Circuit said the death penalty is still constitutional but the endless appeals process isn't going anywhere so I would be amazed if CA actually executed anyone anytime soon. Speaking as someone who spent a few years in prison I don't really understand the debate over the death penalty because I would absolutely choose an early death over the rest of my natural life in prison. I truly don't think I am kidding either because the US prison system really is that soul-crushingly horrible.

I totally understand your argument even though I haven't been locked up ever, and I might feel the same if I were, but that's not the issue I have with the death penalty. My objection isn't on the grounds of the death penalty as such being morally indefensible or anything like that but has to do with the complete unreliability of the justice system. It's both prone to abuse and much too fallible for something as absolute and irreversible as death. gently caress, even in these days there's people put to death who are obviously innocent because the system failed them, and I'd rather have a guilty person in prison for life even if they wish for an end to their suffering, horrible as that may be for them, than have innocent people killed.

• Locked thread