Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PTBrennan posted:

Broke the law so he could get medical coverage while in jail. What's really a shame is logically, using our system, it does make sense. Highlighted the last sentence because it just made me laugh for some reason. Probably the irony of the whole situation and then he doesn't even get charged with the crime he wanted to commit.

Is it paranoid to wonder if he was setup to do this so that some right-wing jackass can have someone to point to next time they scream about how we should no longer provide medical treatment to prisoners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PTBrennan posted:

Why are Private Prisons still legal?

Because there is no effective oversight or control exerted by citizens, due in substantial part to massive apathy and misinformation among the public.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Amarkov posted:

Don't forget about TOUGH ON CRIME

I appreciate where you're coming from with this, but it's not wholly applicable to the question of why private prisons are still tolerated. Unlikely though it may be, it's entirely possible for someone to recognize that the private prisons (and the prison guards' unions) are a cashscam racket, while still supporting mass incarceration and brutality thanks to their disbelief in the inherent value of human life and dignity.

Although, I guess that leads me to ask, how does one confront that reality of American culture? American values literally do not include universally valuing human life and dignity, and I would go so far as to speculate that there's a substantial proportion of Americans that wouldn't give a poo poo even about groups of people they would consider "good" or "trustworthy" let alone people accused of crimes. Can we hope to even begin to address problems like prison brutality, police abuses and massive government corruption in such a toxic environment?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Down Right Fierce posted:

Yeah, once you cross the things > human life line, it's tough to convince them to come back.

I had a friend get mugged a few months ago and facebook filled with "if had gun this not happen" and I got shouted down when I pointed out that a gun doesn't stop getting surprise clocked in the head and 34 dollars taken from you; it probably would've gotten stolen/him deaded right there. "That 34 dollars and the ice pack on your head really isnt worth killing someone or getting killed over" is a tough sell.

It's a tough sell because it's not purely about the 34 dollars or even the injury; it's about the loss of control (or, if you want to get pedantic, the loss of illusion of control) that your friend experienced. Nobody wants to be told that they may be forced to accept that someone else has illegitimate* control over what happens to them and their belongings, that they are at the mercy of someone who is at that moment taking from them or harming them against their will, especially when they perceive (however erroneously) that there might have been a means for them to stop it.

*(Where people differ on this is on whom they consider to have legitimate authority, and some people would argue that nobody really does, but that is beyond the scope of this discussion.)

While some people might be purely "my dollars are worth more than a human being", I think a lot of people aren't really motivated as such.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ToxicSlurpee posted:

America isn't asking anything it's just throwing anybody that does anything wrong in a hole filled with violence and horror and wondering why they come out damaged.

No, America assumes they were inherently broken to begin with. There's a part of me that wonders how many people think we should just automatically imprison every convicted felon for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dethkon posted:

This article is hosed up: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/nm-judge-man-raped-everyday-article-1.2417141

The judge told this kid that he was going to be somebody's bitch in prison, and raped every day, before "letting him off" with 5 years probation. What bothers me is that the judge basically admitted that his options were either probation or being sent to a rape concentration camp. True or not, it's extremely unprofessional, not to mention cruel and unusual. I'm glad he got probation, but Jesus Christ.

You guys have any thoughts on this?

What I'm getting from the article is that he didn't have a choice in the matter at all. This conversation occurred during sentencing, so it would have been after he had either been convicted or pled out. (Or were you referring to the judge's options? The judge is a woman in this case.)

Honestly if anything I think we need more judges straight-up saying on the record that sentencing someone to prison will probably lead to that person being physically and sexually assaulted by other inmates, and sometimes even by guards. The first step in halting the grotesque violation of human rights in the prison system is admitting that it happens.

• Locked thread